What aftermarket break pads did you buy? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Google Akebono ACT772 and ACT773.

Lots of good aftermarket pads out there, these are just some I have direct experience with on this truck.

I have the Akebonos listed above and I bought the DBA 4000 series rotors (Made in Australia ones, not the cheaper chinese ones)

I couldn't be happier, as it stops better than the stock OEM pads and rotors ever did.

Cold pedal is great, quick/emergency stops are amazing now where they used to be somewhat butt-puckering....

:)

Went with stoptech rotors and ebc yellow stuff pads. So far I like this setup a lot.

EBC makes a nice pad. I almost went with the Yellow Stuff myself, but went with Hawk HPS due to the lower cost. How are the yellow stuff pads?

...via IH8MUD app

It cracks me up to read justifications for aftermarket parts. Most of you drive a Land Cruiser because of it's deserved reputation of being reliable. Why mess with the existing formula?

Some aftermarket pads are crap, but there are plenty like Hawk and EBC that give superior performance. OEM pads are designed to be cost effective and work, while some of,the high dollar aftermarket pads are designed to far out perform factory pads in virtually every aspect. OEM pads are fine for normal driving for a lot of people, but for heavy towing or hard driving some of us need something better than a pad that works "fine". Anybody that thinks an oem brake pad is just as good as a yellow stuff pad or hps pad has certainly not experienced all three. If your oem pads work for you, that's great to hear. I enjoy a shorter stopping distance and a pad that doesn't give out when hot. In my 6k lb vehicle shorter stopping distance seems fairly important, but that just me.

...via IH8MUD app

It cracks me up to read justifications for aftermarket parts. Most of you drive a Land Cruiser because of it's deserved reputation of being reliable. Why mess with the existing formula?
Then why upgrade tires, why upgrade CD players, why upgrade roof racks, why upgrade headers, why upgrade exhaust, why crank the torsion bars? Same reason some of us like to upgrade brake pads.

...via IH8MUD app

Then why upgrade tires, why upgrade CD players, why upgrade roof racks, why upgrade headers, why upgrade exhaust, why crank the torsion bars? Same reason some of us like to upgrade brake pads.

...via IH8MUD app

That's stuff is not required, either.

Neither are your comments about other people and their preference about brake pads.

...via IH8MUD app

Really? This isn't a forum about Land Cruisers and owner's opinions? Are we all just to read what everyone thinks and not give a second perspective?

OEM for me, brakes are important....

I agree, brakes are important, but I'm puzzled ...

There are lots of aftermarket brake components that are superior to OEM in terms of performance. Some are not, and I totally agree they should be avoided, but aftermarket quality and performance can far exceed factory. I've run aftermarket brake parts on numerous cars include Porsche and BMW with great success.

EBC makes a nice pad. I almost went with the Yellow Stuff myself, but went with Hawk HPS due to the lower cost. How are the yellow stuff pads?

...via IH8MUD app
Have about 600 miles on them now and I really like them. Very quiet. Break in suggestions were a little weird though.

Why not ? Some upgrades are superior such as upgrading to better pads and rotors. Also, do you want to pay 110 dollars for a factory rear wheel bearing that is stamped with Toyota (also has koyo on it) or 73 bucks for Koyo with is also stamped with Toyota from partsgeek. I would rather save the money since it is the same part and have more money for mods.

Aftermarket or oem? Really comes down to what you want from your brake pads. There is no such think as better performing in every category. Brake pads are a compromise, and different manufacturers tackle the problem differently. There are 6 categories that brake pad manufacturers have to juggle:
1. Wear rate / pad life
2. Friction / stopping power
3. Dusting
4. Noise
5. Resistance to thermal fade
6. Cost

Aftermarket pads like ebc and hawke often prioritize fade and friction over pad life, noise, cost and dusting. There is no pad that excels everywhere. Pick a pad with the qualities that are important to you at the sake of the qualities that are not. The factory oems are designed to be the best balance for the manufacturer, but they are not perfect for everyone...

Thanks for the advice guys.. Went with the Hawks and so far so good..

Does anyone have data on the stopping power gained by any if the aftermarket pads? I'm not looking to tow much, just want the truck to stop asap.

FYI - Toyota does not make their own brake pads. ...or wheels. ...or many other parts. In some cases, aftermarket part vendors are actually the OEM part supplier. The tricky part is figuring out which vendor made what part, but most of them offer aftermarket versions of their products at a much lower cost. Yes, by buying OEM the guesswork is gone and you keep your warranty (if you still have one).

A coworker of mine worked for Federal Mogul, and his facility performed brake testing on new OEM product lines. Part of the test procedure was to measure how long it took for overheated brakes to catch fire (under repeated severe braking) on a Ford F350 with "next generation brakes". Guess what, the knowledge gained from this test was used to create aftermarket brands. I'm fairly certain all OEM suppliers do the same.

Wagner ThermoQuiet from O'Reillys. They have worked great and haven't paid for the second set yet. Lifetime warranty including normal wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom