what about safety? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a lexus lx 470 2004 wonderful suv but the only crash tests that have been performed were in Australia and it wasnt good, it was on a 2004 landcruiser.

Last edited:
I can't image any crash test looks good, but did it perform worse or get worse ratings than other like vehicles? Got a link or any info on this? I'm genuinely curious.

4 stars = "not good"? That's pretty good to me.

I can't say I'm really surprised at what got the 5 stars. It's great the Forester got 5 stars but it's not too hard for a car to get 5 stars. There are plenty of station wagons and minivans with 5 stars out there. The only vehicle in that comparo that was in the same league as the cruiser was the patrol, at 3 stars.

In my humble opinion, the real world and the lab world are two different places. I'll take the LC in a wreck anytime. What would add value, is to have someone in the insurance field pull some LC data that could be viewed with more across the board results.

ff347 said:

The fact that the LC scores so much better than the LX470 makes me question the value of those stats. Probably more a reflection of the buyer demographics (driver quality) than actual truck performance (vehicle quality).

A heavier vehicle like the LC, Suburban or even a full sized van is going to perform better in the real world than a smaller one with the same safety "star rating". In collisions between vehicles comparative weight really matters. In the tests weight has been eliminated as a factor.

I bet if you are driving a LC with atrac, abs ect.. and side-curtain airbags you are in one of the safest vehicles in the world.

Last edited:
NMuzj100 said:
The fact that the LC scores so much better than the LX470 makes me question the value of those stats. Probably more a reflection of the buyer demographics (driver quality) than actually truck performance (vehicle quality).

Yup, plus the replacement cost of parts is more of a premium with the LX and I believe that carries significant weight in the insurance studies too.

I wonder if those ARB side bars would help at all in the collapsing driver's footwell test. It's just one more piece of metal that can absorb impact. Ditto w/ sliders for the side pole impact test.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom