What a surprise ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just checked our Landcruiser market again and was surprised that I can buy a LC 80 Model 97 cheaper than a LC Prado (LC 90) Model 97 with similiar mileage. The Prado has no extras, IFS, is smaller, smaller engine (3.4 L) and offers actually little compared to the 80.

What happened in my country? Or is this the same in Australia?

Any ideas why it could be like this ???

Mike

But the prices are over book value :slap:

And gasoline is cheap here or you can get a 80 Diesel 4.2 L. For the same price :rolleyes:

Mike

Mike, How much is a liter of gas over there? Refineries? Just curious. ???

[quote author=FJ809496TLC link=board=2;threadid=10240;start=msg91420#msg91420 date=1074382403]
Mike, How much is a liter of gas over there? Refineries? Just curious. ???
[/quote]

40 Cents !!

Mike

:eek:

The road are narrower in your country. They like smaller vehicle better.

Or the same case like in US standard model retain their value better compared to their purchase price than fully loaded one since people are worried with maintenance cost for all the extra gadget. The same apply to why Lexus loses their value faster than Toyota.

gas about same as here...
E

I paid 77.8 cents / litre to fill with regular this morning ... 8-(

[quote author=Augie link=board=2;threadid=10240;start=msg91426#msg91426 date=1074383526]
The road are narrower in your country. They like smaller vehicle better.

Or the same case like in US standard model retain their value better compared to their purchase price than fully loaded one since people are worried with maintenance cost for all the extra gadget. The same apply to why Lexus loses their value faster than Toyota.
[/quote]

Narrow roads could be an argument. But the prices for standard model Prados and VX Prados (loaded) are the same.

I simply think it is ignorance about the capabilities of a LC 80 since we are not a wheeling nation. Let's see how the prices for the 100 will develop. In the moment they are just a bit more expansive for a 98 model than a LC 80 97 model. I hope they will fall a bit then I will buy a 100 98 model with rear locker as second Landcruiser. That would be great.

Mike

I don't know why this is so surprising. Your truck was purchased as a status symbol. Asian nations love their gadgets, worth while or not, and get great self worth from what they own. And as in any culture what is considered to provide the greatest status changes over time. You would be the best judge of what characteristics of the new symbol provides this. While you might have been "the man" last year with your VX Limited, you could wind up being a "has been" next year with it.

We see this sort of thing in the US as well. The new VW bug or PT Cruiser for instance were selling for more than sticker at first and people were paying a premium to get the car. Now they are just another vehicle.

You soon will most likely find yourself alone with knowing that you drive one of the most capable well built vehicles in the world and have to get along with out all the attention of those wishing they were you.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=10240;start=msg91654#msg91654 date=1074438483]
I don't know why this is so surprising. Your truck was purchased as a status symbol. Asian nations love their gadgets, worth while or not, and get great self worth from what they own. And as in any culture what is considered to provide the greatest status changes over time. You would be the best judge of what characteristics of the new symbol provides this. While you might have been "the man" last year with your VX Limited, you could wind up being a "has been" next year with it.

We see this sort of thing in the US as well. The new VW bug or PT Cruiser for instance were selling for more than sticker at first and people were paying a premium to get the car. Now they are just another vehicle.

You soon will most likely find yourself alone with knowing that you drive one of the most capable well built vehicles in the world and have to get along with out all the attention of those wishing they were you.

[/quote]

Yes, that is true. Already our attention focus on other models and the majority here like mercedes benz or BMW. I just thought that at least these people who consider to buy a Landcruiser should be more informed about the models and would never buy a 90 over an 80.

Mike

[quote author=Asiarider link=board=2;threadid=10240;start=msg91670#msg91670 date=1074440552]
I just thought that at least these people who consider to buy a Landcruiser should be more informed about the models and would never buy a 90 over an 80.
[/quote]

Ha Haaaaaaaaaaa, that's a good one. Like the general public would know the difference between a full foating and semi floating axle and actually care! I seriously doubt that it will change. Form over Substance is the battle cry of the masses. Perseived value generated by advertising works to that end as well.

Be honest Mike, one of the main reasons for your purchase was all the options. I've seen countless posts of you touting those options but never any real substance of their use. Just recently you suggested having curtains for going to the beach, no mention of how you use them or their benefit and made the point that they where Factory curtains! It might seem that you are your own worst enemy and part of the problem.

On the flip side my family and freinds think I'm out of my mind. Buying a used truck with 38k on it for $31,000, then trashing it with a lift, tires, snorkle and Bullbar. And further treating it poorly by driving it offroad where it will surely break. I should be taking better care if it! But that is what I see when I look at the LC, not the high priced luxury barge that rappers once bought to impress others, but the well built utilitarian vehicle that lies beneath.

Rapper ? I thought you got yours from a wall street trader Rick ? ;))

Cheers Bud ~ careful playin in that snow !

Rick,

actually that isn't true. I bought the Landcruiser because I wanted the best 4x4 in the world. I had a Kia Sportage before and wanted a bigger, better and fulltime 4WD. Little did I know about RV, GX, VX or VX Limited models or their options. As you could see from my first posts I asked a lot about some options because I was surprised to find them in my rig. I was lucky to get it with all options for the same price. And I am not driving the rig for show at all. In the next few weeks I will put OME Lift and bigger tires on it. Sure I don't have a place for rockclimbing but I will still wheel it.

As for the curtains I explained that they are used as sunshades instead of the funny aftermarket stuff that you stuck on your windows. All the options have a good and serious use. Why is it that so many people fit an aftermarket cool box in the car or want a rear A/C. What about the adjustable shocks? They reduce body roll and are a safety feature. I am lucky that I got a winch with the active vacation package. You might say it is a baby winch but I will never be a hardcore wheeler like you, so I am happy with my options.

If you talk about the public please be reminded that the public in general care very little about 4-Wheel-Drive but the people who actually look for a Cruiser knows something about it. In this context I placed my statement that I don't understand how somebody who knows about Cruisers and 4X4 would prefer a LC 90 to an 80.

Here in Thailand I am not able to be a hardcore wheeler ever because I don't have a place for rock-climbing, I can't get the right mods (no dealer here) and I can't get the really big tire (315/75R16) either. But I try to keep up with you guys in this forum and that isn't easy. So the only thing I can really talk about are options. I know that some guys doesn't like it but otherwise I would be not able to post anything.

So, I hope that you understand me a bit better and don't think that I am a kind of jerk that places his options in front of everything.

Mike

On the flip side my family and freinds think I'm out of my mind. Buying a used truck for 18,500 and adding 33" tires and bullbar

changed your quote to allow for my particular spec of insanity :D

doug

Tyler, that's a good memory you have there. Yup a wallstreet trader and then a dentist and then Me.

Mike, so when was the last time you used that winch and how well did it work for you? The common assumption here is that the warn M12000 is really the only option. How big is your factory unit? Have you ever not been able to get out? It'd be nice to get other real life experiences with some of these as maybe the Warn is overkill for some more moderate wheeling.

FWIW, I'm not even remotely interested in rock crawling, more of an expedition driver.

Rick,

I used the winch only two times and had no problems but I have to admit that I wasn't stuck in the mud up to bumper. So I can't tell you if the winch will be strong enough to pull me out in such a bad situation but I would think that the winch is not big enough for that and can't compare in any ways with the M12000. Unfortunately I don't know the exact rating of my winch but will ask TOY. Maybe it will be in my manual that I will get soon.

Here we only have a problem during the rain season with flooded roads and very muddy places. Then it really helps to drive a very capable 4x4.

Mike

Mike:
when I read your post I was struck by your statement that you can't do real wheelin' cuz you have no rockcrawling location - or something like it. Well, evidently, many many very very serious wheelers consider that a muddy jungle would be the ultimate wheelin' challenge. So, count your blessings, enjoy your mud, beautiful jungles, and let us be jealous... Don't be swayed by the prevalent notion on this forum that rocks are all that it's about. I don't think so myself either.
E

Rocks eh ? Awww .... parking on top of the centre island out front of Starbucks once in a while is a hoot though :D -joke-

I used to really enjoy just grabbing a 1:20 000 topo and heading out into the bush . Cruise along old logging roads and trails , looking for some elusive lake to explore for the day ... more of a solitary approach , but pretty rewarding . One time I was so excited to get down into the lake I ignored my route , and simply couldn't find my 4Runner on the way back in the dense brush . Thats when I discovered having a panic button on the alarm fob was a nice feature ... 'oh for f$%'s sake ! My truck is 'that' way ??!!' :eek: 8) :p

Funny never saw any wildlife after that ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom