What a mouthfull.....76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After three long days the Toy has a new coat of skin. Being a first time painter I probably was much slower than most of you experienced guys. After 3 coats of 2k high build and wet sanding I sprayed a coat of epoxy sealer on it Friday to seal evrything and give a good bonding surface for the base coat. Next I sprayed 3 coats of base and then finished it up with 3 coats of clear. The base coat was Toyota Metalic Slate. After talking to several folks and many tried talking me out of spraying metalic being a newbie I painted the first 2 coats completely unassembled. For the final coat I hung the doors back on the body, kick vents, gas filler cover and hung the front aprons from the ceiling in line with front cowl so that the metalc would all line up with my pattern spray. It was new to me but the guys at the paint shop talked me into a Lymco paint and clear. I was pleased with how it flowed and have no issues with the finished results. I have to say it turned out way better than I ever hoped for being a first time sprayer. Hope you like the new color. Next I get to cut and buff after I let it cure and then start the new wiring and reassembly. Going to take several more of these!! :beer::beer:
:cheers:
1stCoatofepoxy.jpg

snowDec19th008.jpg

snowDec19th009.jpg

snowDec19th012.jpg

Spent the weekend cutting and buffing the new paint. Waiting on the new harness so I can start the new wiring job. I'm not much of an electrician so it should be an interesting part of the job. HAve any of you guys ordered the full cage from Metal Tech already assembled. I'm thinking a real cage would be in good order and really like the way theirs look. After I get this done it will be time to get her back together for the summer.
Cheers!

Dude, I seriously need to get together with you, that thing looks awesome! Just wish mine was coming along as well...

Since the paint I have been chipping away at small odds and ends with the rig. The UPS man brought me some more goodies this past week. This is the one part of the project I'm not looking forward to......Rewire!
Feb2010001.jpg

I spent the weekend putting the doors all back together. The 1st took me several hours and a few :beer:. The second door took only an hour and went together better than the 1st. The felt trim around the window frame was a pain and I'm still not happy with it. I know you guys are going to tear me a new one but I did put the Diamond Plating back on minus a few pieces. What can I say I like the look with the metalic paint.
Feb2010002.jpg

Spent the weekend doing lots of little things on the project. Picked up the glass for the windshield and got that back in the frame. Put all the guts back in it and got it mounted back on the rig with the new SS hinges from SOR. Of course I cracked the dash knobs due to age so have ordered new ones. :whoops: One more ding in the never ending money pit.
March2010012.jpg

Next I started reworking the wiring and ignition for the engine and on the firewall getting ready to start the new wiring. I still am not happy with the firewall cluter so will probably work on this some more.
March2010013.jpg

Spent the rest of the time getting myself in the right frame of mind to tackle the rewire. This is going to be the most challenging part of this whole project for me. Plan on just taking my time and figuring it out as I go. If anyone in the area has experince with this and wants to offer a hand one weekend let me know. I'll provide the beer!!! :cheers:
March2010015.jpg

Still working on lots of little things. I finally got the windshield lined up with the doors. The SOR brackets seem to be a bit off on their angle. Spent some more time getting all the edelbrock ignition hooked up along with the new MSD ignition wires. With the block hugger headers I had to switch to 90 degree boots. She is starting to come together. Here is some eye candy along with my master mechanic.
Engine005.jpg

Engine003.jpg

Engine002.jpg

:cheers::bounce::clap::bounce:

looks good
keep plugging away and it will be on the road in no time

The look on your kiddos face is EXACTLY the same look that mine gives me when we're wrenching on the Cruiser!!

Awesome work - keep up the progress!!

Nicely done....nicely done!

I had not run across this thread before. You are an inspiration. Nice work. Why cover up that great paint with the diamond plate?

Yes I knew I would get some grief for doing that. What can I say I like the look with the stainless hardware and the metalic paint. :beer:

The look on your kiddos face is EXACTLY the same look that mine gives me when we're wrenching on the Cruiser!!

Awesome work - keep up the progress!!

Nicely done....nicely done!

Thanks for the reply. This 40 came from Colorado when I bought it. Was up in the Boulder area. Yes my son thinks it will never run again. He keeps telling me that I have killed the "Toy".... If I don't screw up the wiring it should come together before to long. Still a long wish list of things to do:cheers:

Yes I knew I would get some grief for doing that. What can I say I like the look with the stainless hardware and the metalic paint. :beer:
If you like it, that is what matters:cheers:
I am impressed with the paint and body. I have never tried it before and have little time to tackle it but I have been quoted no less than $7000 to do all the prep and paint on mine and that is off the frame. Saving that cash would be awfully nice when it comes to adding accessories.

If you like it, that is what matters:cheers:
I am impressed with the paint and body. I have never tried it before and have little time to tackle it but I have been quoted no less than $7000 to do all the prep and paint on mine and that is off the frame. Saving that cash would be awfully nice when it comes to adding accessories.

I also had not painted a vehicle before. I have a bit over $250 in the epoxy primer, 2K high build primer, paint and clear coat. I also have 6 months of body prep work . That part sucked!! For me the biggest satisfaction was doing it all myself. I also know where all the little mistakes are but that makes it even more worthwhile. I think the key is in the prep work and taking your time. It took me three long days and it was all worth it. Now I can get the MAF billet radiator and sliders I want. :cheers:

Great job

That is going to be one off the hook truck when your done. Your son is going to love driving that to HS. Congrats on your rebuild.

Thought i would pass on a great contact for those looking for some new Bilstein shocks. I just ordered my third set of shocks from these guys and they have great service, prices and shipping. The name of the place is "The Parts Ladi". Yea I know kind of strange. You can find a lot on their Ebay store: eBay Store - Thepartsladi: Corvette, Cadillac Buick Oldsmobile, Chevrolet and GMC Trucks or you can call them direct and ask for Steven 1-800-579-7046. I just ordered a new set of 5125 shocks with the soft 170/60 valving in the rear, 255/70 up front delivered to the door for $268 including the ride. A couple months ago I got a new set of 5100 for my SuperDuty for $200. Thought someone might like the savings.

Well I did not get as much done this weekend as I had planned. It started off with my compressor going to the graveyard with a busted block and crank. I wanted a bigger one anyway. Then I had ball practice with the kid. Today went better with getting the fuel tank and lines back in and routed to the engine. Before the tear down I had always been irratated with the cluster of lines and evaporator behind the passenger seat. It also lead to a lot of fumes. After much debate I decided to locate the evaporator inside the rear fender ( I may regret this later). HAs anyone done this before and have any feedback? Hopefully this week the new shocks and radiator will show up and I can get the front clip back on and start the wiring!! :censor:

GasTank003.jpg

GasTank001.jpg

GasTank002.jpg

Great job on the build. the paint looks very good. What is the part number or brand of wiring harness that you are gong to use? I have been working up the nerves to just pull out all the old wiring out of my ring and start from scracth. Maye once I see your progress I will try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom