What a mouthfull.....76 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for that reply. I also do not have much experience with body work. Only cutting, grinding, and sanding. This spring and summer will be my trial periods with metal work and welding. I really enjoy the mechanical side of repairs. Not so much on the body.

I took advantage of the nice weather Sunday and sprayed some epoxy on some of the body parts. Since I have never done body work I was a bit worried about screwing this up. I was pleased with how it turned out. Next I'm going to tackle the body tub. With that said I finally made up my mind on th wiring situation and pulled all the old wiring out. The dash was a rats nest of wiring to say the least. Hope I can figure it all out when it comes time to rewire.... It may take several of these :beer::beer:. It will be nice having it all cleaned up and a modern fuse block with enough circuts for all the toys.

JAn09056.jpg

JAn09055.jpg

The harness removed
JAn09054.jpg

Well it has been a slow summer and fall on my project. Sort of lost motivation with the body work. I finally took a break from deer hunting and got back on task a few weeks ago stripping everything in the tub so I can spray on the liner. Tonight my spray in bed liner came and hopefully this weekend I will get it sprayed. I'm doing this myself for the 1st time so I hope it works out. i'll post up some pics afterwards so you can see how it turned out.
:cheers:

Last weekend I fabbed up a new tailgate. MAde the frame out of 1" x 2" stck and the panel out of som 16ga. metal with hemmed seams all around to match the stock body panels.
FJ40TAilgate001.jpg

FJ40TAilgate003.jpg

FJ40TAilgate004.jpg

por 15 on floorboards

IMG_3391.jpg
on the floorboard I used 2 coats of por 15 grey rust proofing.
I am told the grey is heavyier and it seams to cover the pitting better. The stuff settles donw into better. Made a slick glossy surface.
Now next spring I will lightly sand and fill in the final pit indentions that are left. Then prime and paint with reg. paint.
I wanted a painted surface for ease of cleaning. The bedliner stuff is too hard to keep clean. The por 15 came out great.
and will give me a coating to keep the rust from coming back.
Cause it is completely heavy duty sealed now.
If you are in the area after april 15 call and come by to see. I will be back for my wintering in the keys by then.
Yours is looking good. I would seal that pitting with por 15 before you prime, so rust would not come back for a long time.
IMG_3391.jpg

Good progress.
How do you plan on holding up the tailgate? I am thinking of doing the same to my 40.

I have a MAF rear tire carrier and don't plan on having a drop gate on it. I'm using 2 bolts through the frame on each side with 5/16" bolts with a nylon spacer between the frame and quarter panel support. It will be a fixed panel. I thought about making a drop gate just pivoting on the bottom two and using stock latch's at the top but decided I would not use it. :cheers:

I sprayed the bedliner today and I'm pretty happy with it. It was a bit rougher than I would have liked but I can live with it. The liner I used was from Liner Extreeme LinerXtreeme
Ken shiipped the product fast and I used their small kit. I ordered the medium gray but I'm not sure it was. It seems a bit lighter. Maybe they shipped the Light gray. A couple of things that I would do different if I were doing it again would be to use more reducer. I think this would have helped with the texture. Second I would not get their small gun. It is to small with the working time you have. A hopper gun from habor freight would have been better. The total cost to do this was $89 so I can't complain to much. I was worried about all the factory mounting holes and spent a bit of time working through this but was happy with the results. I used 1/4" and 3/8" tubing that I had and cut them into2" pieces. These I screwed into all the holes during the prep. After the liner started setting up I pulled these back out and have really clean holes left. Here are some images of the prep and finished spray.
linersprayed003.jpg

linersprayed007.jpg

linersprayed010.jpg

After a long day I need a couple of these :beer::beer::beer::cheers:

Dude, where are you at??? I am in Asheville and just starting a complete rebuild of a 40, and would love some input, or give ya a hand turning a wrench sometime.....

Was the small kit enough to cover everything like you wanted? I was thinking about going with the small kit at first to do the inside of my tub and under the fender wells. Do you think that would be enough?

Five, the small kit did the entire inside of my tub and the gas tank cover and tailgate. If I had not put it on so heavy and or thinned it a bit more I could have done the underside of my front fenders. I had a bit left but not enough to start the fenders. I had planned on that as well. I may order some more for that or just paint them with the rest of the rig.

Thanks. I've been looking around for something that sprays on thick. Most of the stuff I have found goes on thin like Herculiner. I believe this may be the way that I go.

Nice to see you're back on topic Lance, can't wait to see more progress. At some point we'll make it out there for a visit, and maybe some wheeling. I'm sure it will be all scratched up from use by then though :D

Happy New Year everyone. I have not gotten much done lately other than rebuilding the reat shackles and pins. I did get some more flex back in it. The old pins were rusted and siezed up from sitting an age. I'm about ready for some paint on her so I can start getting things back together (If it ever warms up so I can spray). Think I'm going with the 2010 Tundra Metallic Slate for the color. If anyone has pictures of a dark grey on their rig post it up. I would like to see some before I start spraying.

gray examples

Hello from the bottom of the mountain. Build is looking great.

heres is a pic of a 85 FJ-60 color -- gunmetal metallic

dayone006.jpg

and a pic of an 06 Tundra gray I do not recall the name of ( FJ40z old rig if you wanna pm him ) <g'luck w/ that ;)

Copyofure1067007.jpg

moonglow pearl outta the fzj80 era would look pretty sweet too

Hello from the bottom of the mountain. Build is looking great.

heres is a pic of a 85 FJ-60 color -- gunmetal metallic

dayone006.jpg

and a pic of an 06 Tundra gray I do not recall the name of ( FJ40z old rig if you wanna pm him ) <g'luck w/ that ;)

Copyofure1067007.jpg

moonglow pearl outta the fzj80 era would look pretty sweet too

Thanks for the images. Those are a couple of good looking rigs. Where are you at "the bottom of the mountain"?

Thanks for the images. Those are a couple of good looking rigs. Where are you at "the bottom of the mountain"?

I'm in High Point. Lots of family in Asheville.

Chime in to Olde North State Cruisers and say hello. Im sure we'd all like to drool over the rig at a meeting when its all wrapped up :cheers:

NC- Olde North State Cruisers

The decision was made this past weekend. Metalic Slate (Toyota Tundra color) is going to be the new color. I bought the paint and clear. Busy taping off and prepping the body parts for paint this coming weekend. I will post up pictures when we get done. It could be a royal mess since I've never sprayed before.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom