What a horrible day I've had - sheared front output shaft! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MD11Fr8Dog

CM09 Eight Ball winner
Threads
The past couple of weeks, I have been prepping my 40 for Cruise Moab, and generally getting a lot of little things finished or done that I've wanted done for a while. So last night, I decide to pop the top and install my OEM replica "Paki" top. So, I get everything off but the doors. I'm trying to install the front bow and darn, the roll cage is in the way, the center 2 spreaders are about 1/2-3/4" too high. :eek: My original roll cage was not a problem, but Jeremiah Proffitt made me a new lighter cage, with a slight bend in the them for slightly more head room, but.... UGH. (I'll cut those spreaders out and put in new ones at a later date)

So, off come the doors and I will now run the bikini top with my new tube doors from Metal-Tech. But as I get the first door installed, I realize that the strike plates did not get included with my doors! UGH again! I fire off an email to Mark Hawley at Metal-Tech! Mark is shipping them to me via FedEx Sat delivery!:beer:

So, this morning, my plan is to install the bikini top and the rear tailgate, then change the oil, flush radiator, top off other fluids and go crazy with my grease gun. Tailgate first, I get all the hardware installed and then notice that the holes in the rear sill for the hinges are going to require that I drop the rear aux tank! Ugh again as this eats a couple of hours of my day. But I get the tailgate done, and tank back in place. Bikini top next, easiest job of the day, all of 15 mins to install the track/lip for the front and then put the top on!

The day is now looking better, but now its approaching 3pm and my daughter needs to be picked up from school, and I still haven't done my "fluids" yet. Off I go in the 40, but I never make it. I decide to check out the 4WD, lockers and new front driveshaft from High Angle as I go out the gravel road that I live on. All looks, sounds and feels good! I leave the truck in 4WD HI to check handling on the main road. I was doing about 30mph and down shifted, and a few seconds later - BANG. I look through the hole in the tranny hump, for the tcase shifters, and notice my driveshaft was "missing", but nothing in my rear view mirror. I initially thought I had maybe not tightened the bolts on the driveshaft properly and sheared them. I coasted to the shoulder and my heart sunk as I peered under my truck - I had sheared the front output shaft on my tcase :crybaby:- right inside the housing at the end of the flange splines! The 4spd tcase housing I had put 3spd gears into. I probably shouldn't have road tested the 4WD:bang:, but it still should have handled it! I can't wait to look inside that case, wondering if its something I did in the build, or maybe the shaft was just fatigued, or who knows what!

I was picking Brian Koerner up in VA on my way to Moab, so I call him up and tell him what happened and that I'll now pick him up in my double cab Tacoma. He said, no, bring the 40 to his place, he has a spare 4spd tcase :clap:. So, now we'll be swapping t-cases at his place on Sunday afternoon and hopefully hit the road to Moab that night, maybe only costing us a few hours! Still upsets my stomach to think about it though!

I hope the next 48 hrs are better and Brian and I can get on our way to Moab!

For your viewing pleasure....

shearedoutput.jpg

Last edited:
You were running 4wd on dry asphalt, Sean? I think that's your issue. Hope you guys get the spare xfer in OK and make it to Moab. Maybe we'll meet up while there.

Todd Bull.

Are the Diff Ratio's the same?? do you think it could have been Fatigued before from a previous wheeling trip. this should not have sheered the Output.

ive never put my cruiser in 4wd on dry pavement, but from time to time my 4runner will be, especially on slushy days where the side roads still have snow, but the main streets are clear

You were running 4wd on dry asphalt, Sean? I think that's your issue. Hope you guys get the spare xfer in OK and make it to Moab. Maybe we'll meet up while there.

Todd Bull.
Howdy! He said it was a gravel road. If a 4wd can't cruise on that, it's got a problem. John

Howdy! He said it was a gravel road. If a 4wd can't cruise on that, it's got a problem. John

x2.

Heck, if it can't cruise a bit on dry pavement in 4WD then I'd say it's got a problem. All mine can--and without binding, turning, etc.... But only on a perfectly straight road (obviously).

How harsh was the downshift?

Dan

He said it was a gravel road.

I'm not so sure. That's why I asked. Read the last line from his quote below.

I decide to check out the 4WD, lockers and new front driveshaft from High Angle as I go out the gravel road that I live on. All looks, sounds and feels good! I leave the truck in 4WD HI to check handling on the main road.

Actually he said it was a "main" road, which I take to mean it was paved:

All looks, sounds and feels good! I leave the truck in 4WD HI to check handling on the main road.

On the one hand, I wouldn't have thought a trip on asphalt would shear it so quickly - I know I've driven a ways on asphalt in 4wd accidentally before. On the other hand, I would never do so intentionally: thats exactly why you shouldn't be in 4wd on asphalt... it breaks stuff.

Look on the bright side, at least its not some huge mystery........ bummer dude, all the same.

Something had to bind up, or, as was mentioned earlier, the output shaft was previously damaged and finally gave up when it was subjected to a higher rotational speed.

Take the nose cone off and see what things look like inside there.

Please post up pictures.

:beer:

Something had to bind up, or, as was mentioned earlier, the output shaft was previously damaged and finally gave up when it was subjected to a higher rotational speed.

Please post up pictures.

x2 on the pictures. Your rig doesn't have much time and wear on it since it left Proffitt's does it? Or was the T-case something they didn't touch?

Even better, put the new one on, and bring the broken one to CM for show and tell (and pictures). I'm not even going and I think that'd be a good idea.

Dan

Look at the bright side it, happened at home when you had time to fix it. My luck, it would have happened the first day on the trail.

to save time, I think I'll be replacing the tcase on the trailer while Sean is driving the tow rig down the interstate :clap:

My rigs always need some last minute prep, so this is nothing new to me...

I can't wait to get out there...it will be a good time.

bk

Get a magnetic tray to hold the bolts and a magnet strip to hold your wrenches.

To save time, I think I'll be replacing the tcase on the trailer while Sean is driving the tow rig down the interstate :clap:

Drain the fluids before Sean starts moving. The oil will not hit the drip pan but will come straight out and toward the rear of the trailer. At 40mph the 90w will land about 4' from the drain hole.

Make sure you are properly strapped to the trailer. A full body fall arrest harness should work.

Eye protection is required as well.

Good luck!

Get a magnetic tray to hold the bolts and a magnet strip to hold your wrenches.

Drain the fluids before Sean starts moving. The oil will not hit the drip pan but will come straight out and toward the rear of the trailer. At 40mph the 90w will land about 4' from the drain hole.

Make sure you are properly strapped to the trailer. A full body fall arrest harness should work.

Eye protection is required as well.

Good luck!

what is the best way to secure my beer while the trailer is moving? I don't want to get dehydrated during the R&R of the transfercase.

thanks!

bk

Perhaps it was damaged while turning onto the main road?

If turning one time even on dry pavement breaks it--then it needs to be replaced anyway. What's the difference between dry pavement and slickrock?

Dan

what is the best way to secure my beer while the trailer is moving? I don't want to get dehydrated during the R&R of the transfercase.

thanks!

bk

Easy: beer hat. Also, it'll protect your noggin from rocks flying up from the tires. You've got to be safe, after all.

Dan

I agree to disagree.

Easy: beer hat. Also, it'll protect your noggin from rocks flying up from the tires. You've got to be safe, after all.

Dan

A Camalback hydration system with the Bite Me Valve would be much better.

X - 2 on the hard hat with a chin strap.

I hope some of this chat is putting you in a better mood.

:cheers:

If turning one time even on dry pavement breaks it--then it needs to be replaced anyway. What's the difference between dry pavement and slickrock?

Dan

In the UK the only time you need lockers in on loose surfaces or mud - no rocks like you have so we avoid running locked on everything else, don't really know the limits but I don't like the feel.

Once had someone complain they couldn't get a Nissan Navara out of 4WD, they had bound it up within 30ft on a carpark.

EDIT: Should say you guys know more about that stuff than anyone - not arguing just interested.

Last edited:

Please post up pictures.

Yea, it was weird, truth be told, it was NOT an intentional road test of 4WD. In cleaning up, I got my twin sticks dicked up, and did not realize it until I had gotten on the main, paved, road. I probably traveled about 1 mile with about 3/4 mile to go to my daughter's school, so I figured I'd be okay, as long as I didn't do anything radical. I've done this intentionally before in this truck and others with no issue!

I got no bouncing or skipping as the drivetrain was binding up, so I figure it had to damaged or fatigued. Mini knuckles with 6 bolts, Longfields, ARBs and one a driveshaft from HAD - I guess the output shaft was the first weak spot! I hope the housing isn't cracked! This was my 4 spd house that I dropped 3spd gears into, so maybe I dicked that up somehow!:meh:

I had just crested a small hill and was accelerating, mostly via gravity down the back side, then started back up a small rise in the road. She's a pig on hills, so I shift the SM420 from 3rd to 2nd for the climb up (4th to 3rd if you count the granny gear). 10 secs later - BANG, clang clang clang.....:crybaby:

Brian Koerner and I will tear it apart in Slickrock Campgroun on Tuesday! I'm picking him up in Va tomorrow afternoon. His ticket to ride is his spare 4spd tcase! :clap:

Are the Diff Ratio's the same?? do you think it could have been Fatigued before from a previous wheeling trip. this should not have sheered the Output.

ive never put my cruiser in 4wd on dry pavement, but from time to time my 4runner will be, especially on slushy days where the side roads still have snow, but the main streets are clear

Yep, same ratios with ARBs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom