What 2nd battery are you using? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got the Slee 2nd battery tray installed with the Redarc BCDC1250D for a 2nd battery. The tray instructions say group 35, but the options seem limited for a group 35 deep cycle AGM. Before I go buy one, I'm curious what batteries people are using with this setup?

I've got the Slee 2nd battery tray installed with the Redarc BCDC1250D for a 2nd battery. The tray instructions say group 35, but the options seem limited for a group 35 deep cycle AGM. Before I go buy one, I'm curious what batteries people are using with this setup?

What system will you be using to charge your second battery? I ask because the effectiveness of an AGM is highly dependent on methods of charging while driving…and methods at home.

Last edited:
I don't have a 2nd battery in my truck because I have them in my camper. But, I know with the Redarc BCDC1250D you have a lot of options, including LiFePO4. What do you plan to run with the second battery?

What system will you be using to charge your second battery? I ask because the effectiveness of an AGM is highly dependent on methods of charging while driving…and methods at home.

The BCDC1250D will be connected to the starting battery and then the aux battery will be charged by the Redarc.
Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 9.17.04 PM.png

I don't have a 2nd battery in my truck because I have them in my camper. But, I know with the Redarc BCDC1250D you have a lot of options, including LiFePO4. What do you plan to run with the second battery?

It says in the manual a LiFePO4 battery is not recommended under the hood. I'll be using it to mostly run a fridge and small electronics.

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 9.18.29 PM.png

The BCDC1250D will be connected to the starting battery and then the aux battery will be charged by the Redarc. View attachment 3052216

It says in the manual a LiFePO4 battery is not recommended under the hood. I'll be using it to mostly run a fridge and small electronics.

View attachment 3052217
Thats the best charge for you 2nd AGAm.

Is your main battery also AGM? I ask because it will relying on your alternator’s voltage output, with redarc only charging the 2nd. If main is also AGM, you’ll need to top it off fairly regularly at home.

I use the same redarc, by the way.

At home, I literally “plug in” my 200 to 110/AC…which then tops off both batteries via chargers I’ve permanently installed….and also takes over powering my fridge that runs 24/7.

Thats the best charge for you 2nd AGAm.

Is your main battery also AGM? I ask because it will relying on your alternator’s voltage output, with redarc only charging the 2nd. If main is also AGM, you’ll need to top it off fairly regularly at home.

I use the same redarc, by the way.

At home, I literally “plug in” my 200 to 110/AC…which then tops off both batteries via chargers I’ve permanently installed….and also takes over powering my fridge that runs 24/7.

My main battery is a conventional flooded battery.

Do you use a group 35 battery? I'm hoping to get specific recommendations, since options seem limited.

My main battery is a conventional flooded battery.

Do you use a group 35 battery? I'm hoping to get specific recommendations, since options seem limited.

With your redarc, you have the right setup for agm as the 2nd.

I’ve had excellent long-term performance in my type 35 using Odyssey 35-1400T.

For precise info… its this one.

Odyssey 34R-PC1500T Automotive and LTV Battery https://a.co/d/1AiEMgI

I have the same setup. The 2nd battery is a Super Start AGM22NF from O'Reilly. I get a good two days of 43qt refrigeration and lightning in the cargo/tailgate.

The BCDC1250D will be connected to the starting battery and then the aux battery will be charged by the Redarc. View attachment 3052216

View attachment 3052217

I'd skip right over AGM these days. With as cheap and compact as LiFePO4 batteries are, barely a premium over AGMs, that's where the opportunity is. Agreed they shouldn't be located underhood. AGMs don't really like heat either. Install a compact LiFePO4 in the back.

I'd skip right over AGM these days. With as cheap and compact as LiFePO4 batteries are, barely a premium over AGMs, that's where the opportunity is. Agreed they shouldn't be located underhood. AGMs don't really like heat either. Install a compact LiFePO4 in the back.

Ya, I think as prices for lithium batteries get more competitive, I agree its a good option in the rear cargo area. If I were just now planning my battery setup, I might go that route. No question that Lithium is a literal powerhouse.

On the other hand, my AGMs have served me well under extremely heavy use/draw/heat.

Only issues I ever had were actually caused by the malfunction-prone IBS management system. Its booster modules kept failing. The switch to Redarc bas been flawless.

I have the same setup. The 2nd battery is a Super Start AGM22NF from O'Reilly. I get a good two days of 43qt refrigeration and lightning in the cargo/tailgate.

Thanks for the specific battery. That's what I am looking for.

Reactions: JLH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom