Wet sanding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last night while I was waxing the cruiser I took a little steel wool to a rust scratch and notice that the faded paint around the scratch was brought bac to life. Wow! I may be able to even up the right with the left side now! PO put a cheap paint job on it and it evidently sat out right side to the sun for a long time as that and the roof are faded.

So I tested a few other faded areas and the color really came back. Wax it up and it looks great.

QUESTION: What can I use to wet sand the entire roof and right side that will not take all day. What grit and can I use some power tools ???

your thoughts and experience are appreciated. Thanks. :cheers:

you can hack into it with a rotary buffer/polisher and some mild abrasive polish. Dont use sandpaper on power tools, and only use wet and dry for the hard to reach places

Dan, use a product called "Color Back". It's made by Turtle Wax and it should bring it back to life. If you start using wet sandpaper you won't have much paint left on any high spots. If you can't find it I'll bring some down when I come in two weeks.

be careful with the color back stuff - I used it on oxidized paint on my truck (PO painted it on the cheap too...) and it didn't go well at all - cheap paint and all. Test it before you got whole hog with it. I can't remember what I wound up using - it's a liquid, mild compoud, came in a bright yellow bottle - got it at AutoZone... and if you use a buffer, be careful, it really does take a special touch. You can burn the paint right off if you're not careful.

Actually, you can burn the paint right off even if you are careful...if you get a buffer with two speeds, use the lower speed until you can get the hang of it - and still plan on taking a weekend to do it. I buffed out my 60 and it took about a full day - then you have to wash it again, and then wax it...it's fun!

Zymoil is by far the best wax/protectant/paint restorer out there (my opinion of course). It is the most expensive BUT it will shine/rejuvenate paint like no other. I have used it extensively and primarily on all of my vehicles for 12 years. It is COMPLETELY organic. Smells like a beautiful woman tanning on the beach (no joke). It is designed to penetrate the paint. I cannot say enough about it (obviously).

Oh, any auto store has it. Runs about 16.00 a bottle but worth every penny.

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=1;threadid=12732;start=msg117142#msg117142 date=1078755948]
Smells like a beautiful woman tanning on the beach (no joke).

[/quote]

Careful juke, sounds like you might be using that stuff for other purposes!!

yaaa we want to polish the cruiser not mr winky ;)

Tewl:

Oh, s--t, did I write that out loud? Um, I meant smells like WD-40 on a, on a , um..... on a new arb locker.

Ha ha ha.

To be honest, that smell helps the job go faster. Makes your mind wonder....... Have not tried it on other applications. We are in the South, though, so...anything goes. Ha ha.

Got to hook up Steve.

Juke

anytime juke, just give me a shout. which end of lex you on N, E, S or W?

I am actually in Georgetown. I work in Lexington and Danville.

think this color rejuvinator will help my older paint match my new? I had the quarter panels re-painted and I swear the guy messed up. I got a spray can made that seems to match better than what he did... though I only used it on a little section not the whole rear end.

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=1;threadid=12732;start=msg117142#msg117142 date=1078755948]
Zymoil is by far the best wax/protectant/paint restorer out there (my opinion of course). It is the most expensive BUT it will shine/rejuvenate paint like no other. I have used it extensively and primarily on all of my vehicles for 12 years. It is COMPLETELY organic. Smells like a beautiful woman tanning on the beach (no joke). It is designed to penetrate the paint. I cannot say enough about it (obviously).

Oh, any auto store has it. Runs about 16.00 a bottle but worth every penny.
[/quote]

2nd that, use it on my Suburban's clear coat, great stuff.

If I read your post correctly, you found some success removing the oxidized layer of paint and found a color rich layer underneath. If you are proficient with a machine buffer, use some cutting compound and a light touch and bring it back new again. If you don't have experience with a machine buffer, you can find metal or bondo real quickly, especially on the outside corners and sharp spots. You might want to go to a "detail" shop and have it professionally done. Guessing about $75. You really can rejuvinate old paint, especially lacquer or enamel. Cruisers were originally painted with enamel, I believe.
If you are really a do it yourself guy, buy one of the orbital polishers and start with orange rubbing compound then go to white, then finish it off with some sealer/wax and keep it out of the sun as much as possible. And keep it waxed preferably with a wax that has some UV blocker in it.
If you have any touchup to do, get a matching paint, thin it a little and apply after the orange and before the white and wax. Apply several coats until the chip is level or above the paint, then buff with the white then wax.
I know this is TOOOOOOOO long, but have you ever seen a crappy paint appearance on a used car lot??? They've got tricks to bring anything to shine. Even a diamond in a Goat's A$$.
GL
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom