wet PS pump area... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
'94
bottom and maybe side of PS pump appears wet. Area under that also wet from drips.
Wazzit mean?
Likely culprit?
Repair?
Cost?
thanks very mucho
E

that's OK, LT
I saw it, if only for a fleeting second... :D
won't tell anybody, no worries mate!
yes, it was about a '94 80
E

what kit is that?
E

You caught me. I just got a kit from C-Dan for my 96. It is nothing more than a bunch of O-rings and stuff. Simple to do, basically take it apart and put in the new stuff.

Half blind and didn't see the '94 in your post :slap:

The PS pump is in the fallout zone for motor oil from the filter above it, so be sure this is not the culprit. I've never seen an 80 without it.

DougM

Hijack:

Anybody relocated the filter? I hate the sideways mounting, just rotating it vertical and moving it down a few inches would make it a lot easier to change, It may also let pressure come up quicker as the filter would not drain

Raventai, Photoman is relocating his. Most of us haven't though. Rumor has it Photo is relocating his into his console bucket :D

e - you don't have a leaking hose do you? My high pressure hose is shot, so I just ordered one up from Cbizkit.

what's the worst case scenario $$ wise if the PS pump is bad?
E

Worst case would be about $62,000 plus tax, license and doc fees.

I think I would be asking what the average price to repair would be. :flipoff2: :D :D

OK, OK, geez.... :-\
what's the typical PS pump repair cost?
E

I am rebuilding mine with a 96 year pump. The kit cost me 38 bucks. The leaking pump is still on and making sure it stays full of fluid till I switch out and add the rebuilt. The hp hose runs about $150. The pump is almost apart, since I am not a gear head its taking me a little more time but dont mind learning new things(with the great feedback on this forum) thus doing it myself and saving $3-$400.
good luck.

Mine was doing the same thing after I had it flushed and filled. I just bought some power steering stop leak, took out about 1/2 bottle of fluid from the PS and added 1/2 bottle of the stop leak. It works by swelling your old seals that dry up, mine is fine now. Cost around $5.00 and it takes 5 minutes. If this does not work then buy a rebuild kit. But this will normally work.

darn good to know!
thx
E

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=12267;start=msg116148#msg116148 date=1078548877]
darn good to know!
thx
E

[/quote]

Use Lucas PS stop leak it's the best.

Lucas, eh? If it's the British company then I'd say you're in good hands. The Brits know a thing or two about leaking cars.....heh.

DougM

FYI:
I tried to rebuild my 93 pump and it immediately started leaking again (ruined a good weekend of wheeling too! :mad: :mad: :mad:

some have had luck, but I thought I'd chime in with my experience. Not an expert.. but no cherry either.

I'd wash the whole area down real good with de-greaser etc and keep a good lookout on where the *oil* is coming from first.

Keep an eye on the PS fluid level. Sometimes (mine) they leak into the crankcase and don't show any outward signs of leaking!

I hate *stop leaks* personally.... I've had them really gum things up... but that's me ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom