Wet passenger floor - Hear me out… (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there have been countless posts about wet passenger floorboards, and I have tried to read as many as possible to try to find something that I’m missing, but I’m stuck. So, I clearly have a wet passenger floor area after it rains. The “padding” under the carpet is soaked. I have done the following: tried clearing the drains, installed new sunroof dust covers, install new belt trim and window channel on door, used zip ties to try to clear the drain slits underneath the truck, and cleaned out the cowl vents on the hood. The only thing I haven’t done yet that I’ve read is a common problem is the windshield seal. If the leak is from a faulty windshield seal, would the water be dripping down along the firewall/behind the glovebox? Second, if the drain hose was disconnected at the top of the sunroof, wouldn’t the headliner be wet too? The headliner and A-pillar seem to be bone dry. Finally, when I cleaned the drain slits, only a little dry dirt came out. Considering how much gunk I clean out from the hood cowls, and how much it rains where I live, I thought this was odd. Does anyone have suggestions?

If the padding is soaked as you say, it sounds like a reasonable volume of water. The most effective thing might just be to pull back the carpet in that area, lay down some paper towel, get someone to hit that corner of the car with the hose for 10 minutes, and sit inside watching for drips. Once you can spot where the water is hitting the carpet, you can trace back from there.

Very possible it is simply the windshield gasket. To check, saturate the windshield and seal from the outside and look for leaks. You can peer under the dash and peek at the edges of the gasket meeting the cowling, where my leak was.

If you get the gasket replaced, preferably purchase an OEM gasket for you or the technician to use. Also extremely important is the application of sealant on the gasket and the type of sealant used. Many threads for reference on that.

Very possible it is simply the windshield gasket. To check, saturate the windshield and seal from the outside and look for leaks. You can peer under the dash and peek at the edges of the gasket meeting the cowling, where my leak was.

If you get the gasket replaced, preferably purchase an OEM gasket for you or the technician to use. Also extremely important is the application of sealant on the gasket and the type of sealant used. Many threads for reference on that.
Did your leak cause the padding to be pretty soaked? The windshield seal is the last thing I’ve tried because of how wet the carpet gets, and I’m skeptical that a poor seal could make it that wet. But, I’ve never dealt with a faulty windshield seal before, so I guess I don’t know how much water I should expect to see on the inside if it were faulty.

Did your leak cause the padding to be pretty soaked? The windshield seal is the last thing I’ve tried because of how wet the carpet gets, and I’m skeptical that a poor seal could make it that wet. But, I’ve never dealt with a faulty windshield seal before, so I guess I don’t know how much water I should expect to see on the inside if it were faulty.
My carpet padding on the pax side used to be soak every time it rain. Problem was fixed after I got my windshield gasket replaced and resealed.

Look closely at the windshield inside corners when it rains. My windshield leak showed up there,,,,it was subtle but it soaked the carpet.

Do you have access to an air compressor? Spray soapy water on the outside of the windshield, then blow air along the seal on the inside. Bubbles with show any leaks. At least it did for me, then an afternoon of tape and urethane did the trick.

Use duct tape to seal your sunroof for a while to isolate it and stop any water from coming in that way. This is a diagnostic tool to isolate and eliminate it as a source.

If it stays dry with the sunroof taped off, then then leak is from the sunroof.

If it is still getting wet, then you know it is most likely the windshield.

If fought mine for years, would leak on pass side. Even replaced windshield and no luck. But what was lucky was after the windshield it started on the driver side also. I could see little trails of water on both side walls under the dash near kick panel. I could never reproduce with hose but could see it in rain. I supervised the next windshield install and mad the guy use glue per toyota manual. They all roll their eyes and don't want to do it. I paid extra and after letting it sit over night before driving i finally have no more leak. It so frustrating to chase something like this when its an install problem but they all want to say its not "their" fault.

Haha, you probably don't have any leaks, you just live in Portland lol

All joking aside, if your windshield leaks it is very easy to tell. You can poke your finger down into the bottom corner of the windshield where the gasket makes the 90 bend when it is raining or with the hose going. If your finger is wet than your windshield is leaking.

Haha, wet finger......

I wanted to updated this thread in case anyone stumbles across when looking for tips on locating a leak. I’m 99.9% sure the sunroof seal is what was causing the leak. Water was somehow finding its way through the sunroof seal, down the rubber door trim piece, and coming out from close to underneath the glovebox. I fixed this by using the bicycle tube trick that has been posted about a lot on here. The job was a little time consuming but was easy and relaxing while I drank a beer and listened to a podcast. Thanks to everyone who offered tips.

Two more things to check:
1. pull the round rocker plugs under the car along the inside of the rocker (about as big as 50 cent coins); this is just to drain everything
2. check along the gutter seam for any hairline cracks, when I had my windshield replaced the awesome mechanic pointed out the crack as the source of water intrusion (it collected along the inside of the door rocker panel area) that flowed down the A-pillar. There is more info about this in the 60 series forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom