wet highway traction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
triplefault.org
One of the biggest differences I notice between my old 1998 Tacoma 4x4 (BFG ATs) and my LX450 (LTXs) is how they perform on the highway in wet conditions.

My Tacoma never 'pulled' when driving through deep water on the highway like my LX does. Is this merely a function of the tires or does the vehicle weight have anything to do with it?

At first I was calling it hydroplaning, but I realized that I wasn't losing traction on the vehicle, it's more like I am being pulled into the water if I hit it on one side of the vehicle.

I do have LTXs on it (for now). How much is this the tire's fault and how much is it the vehicle's? Do AT or MT tires help this significantly?

MTs will definately not help your handling in wet weather. A good AT with good siping will be about as good as the LTX's that you have now. What you describe sounds pretty normal to me. This is how mine handles. Could be the AWD that makes it feel like this but I dunno for sure.

+1 on that being normal.

I have never been in any car that didn't "pull" into the side being "dragged" on by the water. The amount of drag could be different for a wider tire (?) and the cushy LX ride might add some extra body sway to the feeling of the "pull".

My 80 does the same thing. I always thought it was the two front tires would hydroplane first, I never have this problem in river crossings or mud pits...

Ouch, I don't like telling this story but...

I was alone (lc) on the highway going way too fast during a downpour. I'd say I was doing about 75mph when I approached a medium size hill that strangely enough was turning to the left. While going up the hill traction was fine, but as soon as I reached the crest I started into a 4 wheel drift all the way from the passing line through the slow lane and onto the shoulder. I probably came with-in a foot of rail the guard.

From the fast lane until the shoulder I just keep turning into the simi spin with level acceleration, once on the shoulder I left off the gas and the drift stopped.

I attribute this to a normal 4 wheel drift which if your mind set is correct, is easily controllable.

If I had been in my 2 wheel drive PU, I'm sure to this day that, I would have had a much worse day.

ultimauk said:
Ouch, I don't like telling this story but...

I was alone (lc) on the highway going way too fast during a downpour. I'd say I was doing about 75mph when I approached a medium size hill that strangely enough was turning to the left. While going up the hill traction was fine, but as soon as I reached the crest I started into a 4 wheel drift all the way from the passing line through the slow lane and onto the shoulder. I probably came with-in a foot of rail the guard.

From the fast lane until the shoulder I just keep turning into the simi spin with level acceleration, once on the shoulder I left off the gas and the drift stopped.

I attribute this to a normal 4 wheel drift which if your mind set is correct, is easily controllable.

If I had been in my 2 wheel drive PU, I'm sure to this day that, I would have had a much worse day.

Yikes. Yeah 2WD drifts are harder to control when you drive a AWD truck all the time. My dad's Mazda truck 2wd gets squirly in the back a lot when I give it too much gas going around turns. 2wd the back end swings out a lot more

If you're getting pull from a few inches of water, it's time to check that your underbody is in good shape. I suspect worn or busted tie rod ends, loose wheel bearings, or a busted steering stabilizer. My primary suspects are the tie rod ends, and if you find one busted, it's better to change them all.

Kalawang

NMuzj100 said:
+1 on that being normal.

I have never been in any car that didn't "pull" into the side being "dragged" on by the water. The amount of drag could be different for a wider tire (?) and the cushy LX ride might add some extra body sway to the feeling of the "pull".

I'm thinking this may be it. My Tacoma had a 2.5" lift and a very stiff ride. My LX needs it's shocks replaced (OME HD kit is in the mail) so it may just be body sway that is making it feel worse.

nyk438 said:
Yikes. Yeah 2WD drifts are harder to control when you drive a AWD truck all the time. My dad's Mazda truck 2wd gets squirly in the back a lot when I give it too much gas going around turns. 2wd the back end swings out a lot more

I noticed that on my dad's Mazda 2wd truck too....that thing is suck a piece tho. It will get stuck anywhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom