Western MD's 66 FJ45LV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that I finally have it here...

pics http://www.root45.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=50078

Today I got it running (points) and began driving it around the yard

Once the clutch arm, which rubs the frame, got pinned there and needed some coaxing w/a hammer to get off. Not sure if the drivetrain is stock, since the valve cover says Chevrolet.

Later, the shift lever came loose (threads stripped) from the top of the steering column. This whole assembly is pretty shaky - is there a straightforward way to convert to a floor shift? I will need to fix this right away.

I may add power steering and beef up the steering column - the whole deal is wobbly, and of course there is a lot of slop in the steering.

My local spring guy will be redoing the springs and adding a few inches of lift so I can put 33x9.5s on. I am deciding between new aluminum wheels and stock w/caps. Opinions? Place to find hubcaps?

Long term plans include reupholstery, coat the floor with bedliner, por15 the frame and underbelly, and then paint - two tone tobacco and white - or whatever the Landcruiser dark olive color is called.

Better pics coming soon...

I had a column shift on a 1970 Maverick way back and the lever fell off. I just used a big ass slot screwdriver. It worked great and is agood theft deterent. Just put it under the seat when you are not driving.

Sorry I can't add anything constructive other than call CDan. Maybe the factory part is available and cheap.

check out warrior1515's LV. I believe that is the color scheme you were looking for. Stock hubcaps can be found but I have seen them go for way more than they are worth on eBay. For all the parts you mentioned above, the stock 40 parts of the same vintage will swap over. If you want to change to a floor shift, and your tranny is stock, all you need is the new top plate.

http://www.root45.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=16887
IMG_2475.JPG

Later, the shift lever came loose (threads stripped) from the top of the steering column. This whole assembly is pretty shaky - is there a straightforward way to convert to a floor shift? I will need to fix this right away.

You've got PM!! I'm going to an H41 4 speed in my LV so the 3 speed top plate and shifter is extra to my needs.

Cruiserguy - check your PMs

I will post pics of the tranny tomorrow - I am sure someone will know if I am pure Toyota...

Pics Of Tranny and Lift

Local spring shop lifted the cruiser 3" - I will be adding 33x9.5's on aluminum wheels

Can anyone tell from the picture if the transmission is stock Toyota? (The engine has a Chevy valvecover, but I hope its stock) If so I'll be buying a floor shifter from Cruiserguy.

Also included is a picture of why I want a floor shifter...the top of the shifter linkage is detached from its plate on the steering wheel.
Transmission.JPG
Shifter.JPG
Lifted 3 inches.JPG

From that view it looks like the OEM three speed that I have down here.

So here's whats up with my 45LV:

I added longer shackles in the rear from SOR and 34x9.5 super swampers. The Chevy 6 turns them just fine, thank you. I like the look of the truck with these tires! They fit inside the wheel wells, and the tall look works without the need for a SOA etc. They'll never balance, so I won't be driving to CA anytime soon.

I gave up on the Outlaw wheels, and painted the stock wheels - looking for hubcaps at less than $OR pricing.

It has a new (to me) floor shifter from cruiserguy, and Man-a-fre is shipping a master/slave clutch combo.

Next steps: Saginaw Steering (when the checkbook recovers), and finally sodablasting and paint (in a year or two)

My son and I are learning a lot from mudders and working on the 'cruiser. Thanks for all the shared info.
Cruiser Left.JPG
Cruiser Right.JPG

that looks great keep the updates and the pics coming. those tires look great on there I sure wish they road a little better on the street but it looks great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom