For Sale Western CO: Baselined, Triple locked 4.56 FZJ80 with 33s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
Green
Outside Link
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9o5xSem92zXaFNjs5
For sale again, I still want a diesel. I always wanted a diesel, and just bought this FZJ80 locally to see if I would like it before I imported a diesel FJ80, and I do really like this rig. Engine and transmission in this are just too nice to pull for a swap. Makes more sense for me to buy a diesel and swap it to a body with a blown engine.

This is a turnkey overlanding/touring/off road rig, made to be highly reliable. All repairs and upgrades done in the last year. All parts replace with OEM or upgraded. OEM suspension with new OEM shocks available if you want it, it's in my storage.

New since last post:
Long Range Aux fuel tank 26 gallon and 4x4 labs bumper with tire swingout.

Major Points:

Triple locked, big on board air compressor, LRA Aux fuel tank. Armor all around, more than fully maintained, lifted on very nice shocks with top of the line Dobinson springs.

I bought this in January 2020 with 164k miles and now it has 175k. I am the third owner. 2nd owner had it for 18 years and used it as a ski vehicle from Denver. I use this for trips and do not daily drive it, I have an E36 M3 for that.

Roof top tent, rack and awning are included for asking price. The paint is not perfect and I have touched it up in spots. It has not had a full repaint as I've hear that can affect resale and I think some patina looks better on a trail rig. If I was keeping it I would probably raptor it.

This did not come with front nor rear lockers from the factory but I have added air lockers front and rear and it has a huge on board air compressor. I have rebuilt or replaced all critical systems as I drive my kids into the middle of know where and expect this to bring them back.

Axles: Front and rear rebuilt in March with 4.56 gears and Air lockers. All bearings replaced in differentials, axles, and hubs with the rebuild. All seals and wipers replaced. New axle flanges. I have regreased these twice and inspected them without issue.

Wheels/Tires: Refinished and painted OEM wheels. 33" 285/75/16 BFG KO2 on all five wheels, thus full size spare. These are under warranty from Discount tire and I have them balanced and rotated regularly.

Brakes: New, larger 100 series front pads. Extended lenght lines front and rear. All flexible caliper lines have been replaced. Booster replaced. I have a new OEM Master cylinder, but there are no issues with the current one so I haven't replaced it. Brake fluids flushed and replaced with high temp fluid.

Engine: Iridium plugs, new wires, cap, and rotor replaced. New top and front end gaskets including valve cover, valve cover seals, distributor o-ring, oil pump seal, front main seal.

Cooling: Radiator replaced with aluminum, fan, new clutch, new water pump, new radiator hoses and clamps. Pesky heater hose replaced. Rear heater bypass performed with replacement of all relative hoses. Small heater hoses to throttle body have been capped. Auxillary fan added for AC. A/C recently vacuumed and recharged due to a leak for which the seals were replaced, blows cold.

Transmission: flushed twice with new fluid, shifts great.

Transfer case: fluid changed, works great. Center Lock button added with modification to allow AWD in low range. Thus, putting it in low range does not lock the center diff, you choose by pushing the button.

Driveshaft: Both were lubed when I bought it. When I lifted it the front driveshaft started making noise. It has been replaced with a Tom Woods custom double cardan unit.

Suspension: Springs changed to Dobinson 2.5 inch front and 3" rear Variable Rate Tapered springs with BP-51 Long Travel External Reservoir Internal Bypass shocks. Front and Rear Whiteline Heavy Duty Sway bars. Extended sway bar mounts. EIMKeith Rear Panhard Rod bracket. Slee front adjustable DIY panhard. Adjustable caster bushings and EIM Keith Radius Arm Mounts which will help accomodate 37" tires

Steering: All rod ends replaced with OEM including tie rods and drag link ends. Tie Rod upgraded to Heavy Duty Version.

Recovery/Armor: 12k winch mounted in/under OEM bumper. Custom rock sliders. Hitch relocated between the frame rails. On board air with Viair 88p compressor and remote 2 gallon air tank. Front Coastal front bumper, and rear 4x4 labs bumper with tire swing out.

Camping: Smittybilt XL Roof top tent with Awning. 270 Degree ARQ4WD Awning on the driver's side. This is mounted on a custom roof rack with 6 Gamiviti Towers. Aluminum Shelving and Fridge Slide in the rear. 50L DC Fridge.

Electrical: Small 2nd battery in rear with Blue Sea Systems ACR/Automatic Charge Relay. Enough to run the fridge over night. New AGM battery 9/20. Factory alarm removed as it kept going off. All window motors work, driver's side motor was replaced. Rear door lock actuators replaced. Driver's side actuator works sometimes.

Stereo/CB: CB installed in ashtray with firestick on spring. Pioneer single DIN with Bluetooth and Microphone. New Infinity speakers up front and new Pioneer speakers in the rear.

Interior: Leather seats in decent condition. No major rips, but with wear spot on driver's side bolster. All windows and switches work. Driver's side electric door lock actuator works sometimes.

Cons/Negatives/Issues:

I have go 4 wheeling with this, it's what it's for. Thus, right front passenger door has a couple spots where it was pushed in by a rock on Pearl pass, I touched up the paint and left it as a Trail badge. I also tow a 2200 lb Casita trailer with it from time to time, when I'm not using the Roof top tent. Casita is not for sale. Paint on the roof is faded with peeling clear coat. I have repaired a couple of neglected rust spots. One on the Driver's side upper pillar and one on the hatch. There is no rust on the frame, and I've worked on every piece of this truck and all bolts come off easily.

Maintenance log:
1997 Toyota Landcruiser Maintenance log:

164xxx 1/2020
Oil, oil filter, air filter, air intake elbow, transmission fluid drain and fill. New tires 285/75/16 KO2. Brake fluid and coolant topped off. Rust on driver's side roof stripped and painted.

164xxx 1/25 to 1/26
Driver's window motor and mechanism replaced, door lock actuator motor replaced, window tracks lubricated, speaker replaced.

Frame mounted tow hitch installed with integrated wiring, spare lowering mechanism lubed, area under the , then lines run for power to battery and trailer brakes. Lines run inside under the kick panels. 4 ga power, 10 ga trailer brakes.

165xxx 2/8: Fuel guage sending unit replaced in gas tank. Battery Isolator installed with 4 guage wire.

166,xxx 3/4: All four shocks replaced with OEM with associated new bushings and hardware. Rear airbags installed.

4/4: Fluid changed in Front diff, Rear diff, and Transfer case. Started spark plugs and valve cover gasket.

4/8 and 4/9: Finished Spark plugs. Replaced with Denso Iridiums. New cap, new rotor, new plug wires, new distributor o-ring. Set timing to 5-6 degrees. Replaced Pesky heater hose and heater hoses at firewall. Replaced valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, and throttle body gasket. Coolant changed.

4/17: Water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, and radiator hoses changed.

4/19: Front main seal and oil pump gasket.

4/26: Bypass for PHH neighbor though throttle body completed with silicone caps. Started rear axle rebuild.

5/30: Finished front and rear axles:
Rear axle: Differential rebuilt with 4.56 gears, air locker, all new OEM bearings and seals. Axles rebuilt with new seals and new wheel bearings.

Front Axle: 4.56 gears with air locker, new OEM bearings, and seals. Front end rebuild: rebuilt knuckles with new wipers, new knuckle bearings, with preload set per FSM. Front spindles rebuilt with all new bearings and seals.

Air: Compressor mounted in engine bay with filter and pressure regulator for lockers. Additional outlet for airing up tires.

Appropriate break in procedure followed for front and rear differentials and fluid changed on each diff at 500 miles after break in procedure.

7/1: Hidden winch complete with 12K winch and fairlead extended to meet front bumper. Note with 33" tires and 4.56 gears, speedometer is fairly accurate as seen on GPS and Speed signs.

7/22: Painted and clear coated fenders, started polishing the panels with good paint. Fuel filter replaced, PCV and PCV grommet replaced.

8/22: Auxillary A/C fan install and Air tank installed for lockers. Started painting wheels.

9/7: Cleaned air filter, changed out main fan. Started MAF replacement.

10/1: Oil changed 174,xxx

11/7: Lift installed with
BP-51 at all 4 corners
Front 5160012: 14.33" - 23.85"
Rear 5160015: 16.25" - 26.02" and
Dobinson Variable Rate Tapered springs
C97-146VT 2.5" Heavy Load 595/605 13.5 18/13.5 140/220/290
3" rear C97-145VT, 2.5" lift front 3" rear. Bump stops extended, sway bars dropped. Brake lines extended front and rear with stainless steel lines. Fluid exchanged with bleed procedure. Started install of Huracan Fabriation rear tailgate hatch.

11/15: HD whiteline rear sway bar installed. 3.5 degree caster bushings in front. Rear BP-51 fit kit installed.

12/2: Whiteline front HD swaybar installed. Front right BP-51 replaced under warranty as it was not charged with nitrogen. Front Panhard bar made into adjustable with Slee DIY Panhard adjuster. Welded in EIMKeith rear lower panhard bracket. Painted with self etching primer and rustoleum.

12/5: Aligned at Firestone: Caster is at Positive 1.5 degrees with Ironman bushings set at 3.5 degree correction. May need to go to 2 degree setting.

12/6: Middle bumper section reattached with tow hitch hidden as center crossmember reinforcement. PCV hose replaced. OEM alarm removed.

12/6: Middle bumper section reattached with tow hitch hidden as center crossmember reinforcement. PCV hose replaced.

12/23: Rebuilt front driveshaft installed.

12/27: Set caster bushings at 2.5 degrees.

2/21: 179xxx: Tom Woods Double Carden front shaft installed. Front knuckles greased. Idler pulley replaced. Front bumper installed. 24 gallon LRA auxilary fuel tank installed.

3/10: Brake booster replaced. All 4 caliper brake lines replaced with OEM lines. Bled and flushed brake fluid.

4/10: EIMKeith RAMs installed. Truck aligned at firestone. Smittybilt compressor installed for On board Air. Antenna replaced.

6/18: 4x4 labs rear bumper installed. Rear tire swingout built.

8/16: Replaced driver front and rear door lock actuators.

9/29: Painted hood and touched up spots on rear hatch and left rear quarter panel.

IMG_5120.JPG

IMG_5190.jpg

$28k,Casita Trailer NOT included. Price is negotiable, but I haven't been fired from my job... yet, so I'll keep using this if it doesn't sell. I'm looking to buy a diesel if you have one to trade.

IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

IMG_5458.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have not done the headgasket, but:

Cooling: A number of rigs will go 300k on the stock head gasket. No one recommends replacing it preemptively or as part of a baseline.
This truck was well taken care of by the previous owner and myself, I've flushed the coolant and put in the aluminum radiator,, along with all the other cooling system parts, thus I have no reason to believe the headgasket will go any time soon. I think a lot of these headgaskets blow due to neglect and overheating, which stresses them. Since the radiator upgrade, the temp needle never moves above the middle spot.
Compression: I did a compression test when I bought it, when I was changing the spark plugs, don't remember the numbers, but they were good and even across the board. I have a compression tester and can get you the current numbers.
Rack: It never had a factory roof rack, there are no holes. It came with worn out thule gutter rails. I removed those for the Gamiviti.

Update: I've installed a Coastal Offroad front bumper.

I have not done the headgasket, but:

Cooling: A number of rigs will go 300k on the stock head gasket. No one recommends replacing it preemptively or as part of a baseline.
This truck was well taken care of by the previous owner and myself, I've flushed the coolant and put in the aluminum radiator,, along with all the other cooling system parts, thus I have no reason to believe the headgasket will go any time soon. I think a lot of these headgaskets blow due to neglect and overheating, which stresses them. Since the radiator upgrade, the temp needle never moves above the middle spot.
Compression: I did a compression test when I bought it, when I was changing the spark plugs, don't remember the numbers, but they were good and even across the board. I have a compression tester and can get you the current numbers.
Rack: It never had a factory roof rack, there are no holes. It came with worn out thule gutter rails. I removed those for the Gamiviti.

Update: I've installed a Coastal Offroad front bumper.
Pic of the new bumper?

See updated pics above

Last edited:
Bump, for sale again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom