West Texas Toyotas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No doubt. I was primarily scouting the area this trip for next May but did run Old Maverick Road, River Road East and Glenn Spring Road in BIBE; all three were improved dirt roads. Some have dry washes that could be tough in wet, muddy weather. If dry, a Subaru Outback would make quick work of these roads. I didn't drive Black Gap Road, which I hear is the most challenging road in BIBE - I saved that trail
for the FJ40 in May

Black Gap road is challenging if you have a Jeep.

Here's an initial attempt at preparing an itinerary and to solicit input and comments please....

Draft Itinerary (May 4-8, 2020)

Monday: Bee Cave Canyon
Meeting Point: BIBE Persimmon Gap Visitor Center (Noon)
Trails: Chalk Draw Ranch Road & Bee Cave Canyon trails

Tuesday: Christmas Mountains
Meeting Point: Terlingua Ranch Lodge (9:00 a.m.)
Trails: Summit Road & other access roads/trails

Wednesday: Big Bend National Park
Meeting Point: BIBE Panther Junction Visitor Center (9:00 a.m.)
Trails: Dagger Flat Road, Old Ore Road, River Road East, Black Gap Road & Glen Springs Road

Thursday: Big Bend Ranch State Park
Meeting Point: BBRSP Sauceda Ranger Station (9:00 a.m.)
Trails: Fesno Canyon Road, Javelin Road, Madrid Falls Road & Javelin Trailhead Road

Friday: Big Bend Ranch State Park
Meeting Point: BBRSP Sauceda Ranger Station (9:00 a.m.)
Trails: Oso Loop, Guale Mesa Road, Las Burras Road & Las Burras Loop

Attachments

• Christmas Mtns Regional Map.pdf
    935.8 KB · Views: 238
@patride71 lives in Alpine and has a 40, 80 and a Tacoma

@Masonblackmon
I live about 9 miles south of town/Alpine. I think I have seen you driving your 40 in town. I'm interested for sure. Shoot me a DM sometime. There is a guy in Fort Davis that has Land Cruisers too that I have messaged with but have not hooked up. I have to look in my inbox to recall his name...he's a gunsmith in Fort Davis.

I reserved access/day permit to the Christmas Mountains for Tuesday, May 5th, 2020. I reserved both the AM and PM slots - only 4 vehicles are allowed at one time. So there's space for 3 other FJ40's on that date, and we'll have the mountains to ourselves. Will have to get a gate key (and put up a $75 deposit) at the Terlingua Ranch Lodge, 16000 Terlingua Ranch Rd. Can enter at 8 am but have to be out by 5 pm. Required forms attached...

Attachments

• Christmas Mountains 1-Day Permit Forms.pdf
    188.4 KB · Views: 265
The May 4th trip is looking doubtful. The National Park Service announced yesterday that effective April 3, Big Bend National Park is closed to all visitors until further notice. No entry is allowed into Big Bend, and through traffic is prohibited, as is travel on Terlingua Ranch Road within the park's boundaries. Big Bend Ranch State Park is also closed to all overnight stays, but the roads and trails are still open. Presidio and Brewster Counties have ordered all hotels and short-term rentals closed, so there is little or no lodging available. No surprise if that order is extended. Terlingua Ranch Lodge is also closed which shuts off the Christmas Mountains.

Attachments

• Amended-Order-Extended-to-April9-2020-1.pdf
    64.7 KB · Views: 196
Everything is pretty shut down out here right now, we don't have any cases in the tri county area but I did hear they have a positive in Ojinaga, MX. Also, in talking with local LE they have been running off campers/squatters from the road side parks, roadsides, etc. It would probably be best to reschedule after the China virus blows over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom