West Mesa Cleanup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saturday:

Albuquerque Journal

Illegal Dump Sites on the Mesa to Get Spruced Up

By Rozanna M. Martinez
Journal Staff Writer
Spring has sprung and it's time for some cleaning to get done on Rio Rancho's outskirts Saturday.
The Spring 2008 Mesa Cleanup, a collaborative event of Keep Rio Rancho Beautiful, Rio Rancho police, the city's Code Enforcement Division and Sandoval County, will be held from 9 a.m. to noon.
The community is encouraged to participate in the event and help clean up the mesa inside and just outside the Rio Rancho city limits in Sandoval County.
"The event is being held to clean up the mesa area and alleviate the clutter and debris there," Rio Rancho police spokesman John Francis said.
People with four-wheel drive trucks can register for the cleanup from 8 to 9 a.m. Saturday at King Mesa Meadows Park, located at 3601 King Boulevard, about 2.2 miles west of Unser.
Participants will be given a map showing areas in the city and Sandoval County that need cleanup. Those who return back to King Mesa Meadows Park with at least two bags of trash will receive two raffle tickets for a prize drawing that will be held at the end of the cleanup.
Prizes have been donated by area businesses, Francis said.
Trash and debris dumped on the mesa include vehicles, appliances, hazardous waste, vehicle tires, as well as gasoline and propane tanks. Francis said a boat that had been illegally dumped was seen out on the mesa Tuesday.
"We want to keep this area pristine and free of clutter," Francis said.
He said that would be possible if more people would go to the Waste Management landfill off Northern Boulevard or to the Sandoval County dump near Iris and Idalia.
Rio Rancho police and city code enforcement officers go out to the portions of the mesa within the city limits and do regular patrols to find illegal dumpers, Francis said.
The public also is encouraged to call Sandoval County Regional Dispatch at 891-7226 and report illegal dumping.
"If you see people dumping, don't confront them, some are known to get violent," Francis said.
Rio Rancho police Lt. Greg Conners, who worked with Keep Rio Rancho Beautiful to organize the 2007 event, said last year's cleanup was such a success they decided to do it again this year.
About 12 to 14 four-wheel drive vehicles showed up for last year's event and volunteers picked up tons of trash and debris, he said.
Conners said more than 100 people are expected to participate in Saturday's event. He said if all goes well, another cleanup might be scheduled in September.
To register in advance or for more information on the Spring 2008 Mesa Cleanup call Keep Rio Rancho Beautiful's Jennifer Scacco at 896-8389 or Barry J. Conant at 896-8729.

I'm hoping they're not suggesting the volunteers gather hazardous wastes. Some of the leftover junk from meth labs is extremely toxic.

I'm hoping they're not suggesting the volunteers gather hazardous wastes. Some of the leftover junk from meth labs is extremely toxic.

I don't think our society is getting so squeamish we're afraid to pick up trash.

That would be beyond the point of no return...

I don't think our society is getting so squeamish we're afraid to pick up trash. That would be beyond the point of no return...

Spoken like the true right-wing dinosaur you are.

Meth waste can be full of acetone, toluene, methylene chloride, benzene, trichloroethylene among others - very toxic stuff with acute or chronic exposures. I've also seen used oil containing god-knows-what out there as well as biohazard waste (sharps containers with used needles, soiled wound dressings). Not to mention the WWII munitions scattered around out there. I guess you can call me squeamish.

I'm jus' saying that the article in the paper is a little irresponsible because it seems to encourage people to gather "hazardous waste".

LOL. Okay, I'll call you Squeamish.

I'm just saying that being afraid to pick up trash is not a good thing for a civilization. What percent of the trash out there is hazardous? .001%?

Ya gotta have a little common sense.

Spoken like the true right-wing dinosaur you are.

Meth waste can be full of acetone, toluene, methylene chloride, benzene, trichloroethylene among others - very toxic stuff with acute or chronic exposures. I've also seen used oil containing god-knows-what out there as well as biohazard waste (sharps containers with used needles, soiled wound dressings). Not to mention the WWII munitions scattered around out there. I guess you can call me squeamish.

I'm jus' saying that the article in the paper is a little irresponsible because it seems to encourage people to gather "hazardous waste".

I'm just saying that being afraid to pick up trash is not a good thing for a civilization. What percent of the trash out there is hazardous? .001%?
From what I've seen out there I'd say more like 10% could meet some definition of hazardous. There's a reason why people dump stuff out there and often because it can't be disposed of legally without questions asked.

Isn't this area Private as Greg stated previously? How are they doing the cleanup on private land unless the area in question is outside of the private lands...

Isn't this area Private as Greg stated previously? How are they doing the cleanup on private land unless the area in question is outside of the private lands...

I'm guessing the property within RR limits can be accessed for this as a matter of RR public safety. All the stuff to the west IS private but it hasn't been administed by anyone as long as I've been here. I imagine RR is extending their authority in this case because they know no one will complain.

So, I'm guessing no one from HDC went to the cleanup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom