We're NOT on Discord anymore (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone!

We have started an STLCA Discord server for communication in addition to our Facebook group here. Feel free to join and jump into the convo over there.

The benefits of Discord over FB for communities are numerous: it provides a more dynamic and organized chat environment, optionality for more privacy (although if you become a heckler you will be stopped regardless of who you are 😀), separation from FB ads and content not relevant to what we are here to chat about, and it also provides an option for those not on FB today.

To be clear - our FB group will NOT go away, please keep posting and engaging here, we are adding an additional channel to connect and communicate around cruisers as our club continues to grow.

So, hope to see you over there, all you have to do is click the link below and create an account to join. Holler if you have questions about creating an account and joining.

Cheers!

Y'all come check us out on discord. Our mud clubhouse (obviously) isn't going away either, just trying to find new and better ways to communicate in our virtual world (so we can get together more in person!).

I have deleted my account and will not be going back on that service.
I got an email yesterday that I understood was demanding I change my user name because it was discriminatory. "Heiferman?" I understood it to mean using the word "man" in any form is triggering for them. My reaction was not to support a service like that.

[Edit - it has been explained to me they mean something else whuch I still do not fully understand but am told it has nothing to do with discrimination though "dicriminator" was the term used.]

Last edited:
I got the same email. I'm done as well. We, the STLCA aren't going to use that platform going forward.

It is likely a misunderstanding on my part. They are using words of art to describe inexplicably adding stuff to the end of usernames. It is a poor choice of words I took wrong since I do not work in their industry. One can probably get the confusion. I suspect another email will be sent from them to clear this up but the damage has already been done. They should better know their user base. :meh:

No one really seems that active on Discord so regardless, we'll stick with FB, IG & Mud to communicate. Using 4 different platforms is a bit much to handle.

I'm active on several discord channels as are others (in the cruiser community and beyond) and they're great for us (on laptop, phone, ipad, etc). It's just another tool for communication. Slack is another great option. Slack and Discord built on the skype model and enabled real-time communication that can be organized well for distributed group chats.

You don't need to be a techie to figure it out, and i dont think there is any true difficulty in getting it work @Hugh Heifer you are the exception with the weird username flag!). Many people have significant trouble with Facebook too, or choose not to be on it for various reasons. Recently FB's sub chats on some threads I'm on started disappearing, chats were lost. What happened? Who knows. FB released some buggy code (oops!).

Mud is "old tech" even though they've updated over the years. It's comfortable to folks, they know how to use it, and it just works (heck, me included!), as long as you have a silver star, b/c mud with endless popup ads SUCKS haha. But I believe there is a need for better "real time communication" - Discord and FB both provide that, and looks like FB has won out for STLCA - and I hear ya @andy's60 - it's a pain to post everywhere, especially if no one responds - BUT it was probably a lost cause from the beginning b/c FB messenger already had a foothold for STLCA comms.

It is interesting to see just how much activity is on a variety of the FB groups b/c they are so mobile friendly. There are groups for each cruiser model just like we have here in mud. And they are VERY active. The bottom line to most of this is that we (as humans) don't really know what we like, we like what we know! ;).

Also, I got the same email, updated my username and have had no issues since. I know dozens of others who have done the same. I guess YMMV!

... Slack and Discord built on the skype model ....

LOL Too much like the office. FYI, Skype and Slack were just retired on 1Jan as obsolete formats at work, so the winds of change might already be sweeping this away soon too.

Been a prisoner to Skype for years with what seems like hundreds of Slack channels creating a nightmare of dysfunctional communication. Does not sound inviting to electively rejoin.

Slack (and Discord and similar platforms) are only as good as those who manage them. Slacks is not going anywhere. It's quite alive and well in the tech world. And tech sector is nonstop growing.

Thanks for adding to the humor via irony.
Work was high tech (aerospace/defense) and our IT org retired Slack/Skype for the corporation since it could not support the needs going forward. I can't place the name of the new tool, but it certainly smelled the same as Skype/Slack at the core.

Thought I would put this here.

IMG_2023.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom