We're about to lose access to the middle fork of the judith (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

We are talking about this in the Tacoma forum I'm in as well and it seems like the amount of wilderness area isn't much different. Based on that I don't see how they are taking away access. What am I missing?

Edit: If you go to the link and click each specific area there is a map that shows RWA if it is proposed in each section. Other than the snowies it doesn't look like that much. Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest - Planning

Last edited:
We are talking about this in the Tacoma forum I'm in as well and it seems like the amount of wilderness area isn't much different. Based on that I don't see how they are taking away access. What am I missing?

Edit: If you go to the link and click each specific area there is a map that shows RWA if it is proposed in each section. Other than the snowies it doesn't look like that much. Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest - Planning
That's an answer I can't give as to what you're missing, based on previous actions taken by the fs I'm pretty sure that if you're into backcountry roads and trails this action won't help on our access. If the cbu is against it so am I

That's an answer I can't give as to what you're missing, based on previous actions taken by the fs I'm pretty sure that if you're into backcountry roads and trails this action won't help on our access. If the cbu is against it so am I

Just because someone is opposing it doesn't always mean they know wtf they are talking about, or in this case that you are quoting it correctly. In this case it appears like they are opposing the precedent of not allowing vehicles in a recommended wilderness area, not the actual loss of access points. Which I would agree with btw. The bigger problem is probably your titling of the thread. I have been trying to compare the current MVUM with the RWA and I don't see where any roads currently accessible would be lost. So how are we "about to lose access to the middle fork of the judith" is probably a better question? The is no RWA anywhere on the Little Belts are map where the Judith is.

Reactions: Zor
Kerry White and cbu has done more to keep the forests open to all users than any group i've heard of. He joined the mt house of representatives several years ago to fight for access and studies and works for and against this type of political action daily so yep they know what they're talking about. The middle fork of the judith trail used to go further up till they made a wilderness study area so now it ends at a gate closure. The trail has been under attack by environmental groups for decades due to the fact that it crosses the river several times. The state of mt has lost approx. 22,000 miles of trails and roads in less than 3 decades. The title of the thread was derived from a fellow I have off roaded with from billings who is also a big advocate of keeping trails open and posted it on facebook. If these people are nervous and against it so am I, our heads have been dug out of the sand for several years based on seeing and sufuring from gov't actions not their words. Check out the Citizens for Balanced Use and join up if so inclined and better yet make a donation. Did you ever make a trip into the hills above Clarkston? I'm curious if any more roads have opened

Polly and I ran the middle fork 3 or 4 weekends ago and it was epic. I will definitely be writing them to voice my opinion on closing that area

You must have been there just before the water came up, it's quite the place. I'm planning to spend some time in that area this fall, you can spend days wandering around in some really nice area's and eventually come out at checkerboard or towards kings hill.

You must have been there just before the water came up, it's quite the place. I'm planning to spend some time in that area this fall, you can spend days wandering around in some really nice area's and eventually come out at checkerboard or towards kings hill.
The water was over the hood of my 80 on one crossing and above the door handles on 2 others. It rained the hole time on the Friday we drove up there. Based on photos that you and other have posted I knew it would be deep but crossable everywhere. We were the only ones back there. On the way out there was only one crossing above my 35's. We were definitely the first full size back there this year, I cut and moved at least ten large trees. We camped at the end of one of the large meadow's right near a crossing. It was a great relaxing spot

It sounds like it has begun, I was there last weekend(Darren i still feel bad about the 5 am text but that was all the warning i had) and there was some minor changes in the trail leaving the campground. Ian Farnes was just on it and said that the first big hill after you cross yogo crk now has switch backs on it and lots of rerouting was occuring. He talked to the fs guys that were working there and they said a lot of the trail is being rerouted and are reducing the number of water crossings and eliminating obstacles. I guess the good news is that they aren't closing it, yet anyway but that's one more classic trail we've lost. I remember when getting to hylite lake was a major trip, hunting was great up the canyon and few people dumb enough to drive there, then they paved it. Guess it's progress

just saw this update posted by ian, if you guys want to see as much of the original trail as there is you'd better plan a roadtrip. you can do it in a day even in a 40 but it's a long one

I finally recieved word from the F.S. on the Middlefork-
"I am so sorry I missed seeing this until now. None-the-less, here's the information I have to share. We are working on the new access into the Middle Fork as outlined n the 2007 Travel Plan Decision. It will go through Arch Coulee bypassing 20 stream crossings on the Middle Fork. Once completed this will be the new route and the portion in the stream (20 crossings) from Studhorse to Arch coulee will be rehabilitated/restored with the foot/horse trail (non motorized) remaining. Nothing will be gated on FS land. There is no exact timeline for completion of this project. It is worked on as funding becomes available. Work has been done from the Middle Fork Trailhead to the top of the hill on the east side of Yogo crossing. Work on Arch Coulee may begin as early as next summer."
As I mentioned before, the steep climb is no more. They have already turned it into switchbacks.
BUT- it will still be "open." Just alot different.

it is 2020

just saw this update posted by ian, if you guys want to see as much of the original trail as there is you'd better plan a roadtrip. you can do it in a day even in a 40 but it's a long one

I finally recieved word from the F.S. on the Middlefork-
"I am so sorry I missed seeing this until now. None-the-less, here's the information I have to share. We are working on the new access into the Middle Fork as outlined n the 2007 Travel Plan Decision. It will go through Arch Coulee bypassing 20 stream crossings on the Middle Fork. Once completed this will be the new route and the portion in the stream (20 crossings) from Studhorse to Arch coulee will be rehabilitated/restored with the foot/horse trail (non motorized) remaining. Nothing will be gated on FS land. There is no exact timeline for completion of this project. It is worked on as funding becomes available. Work has been done from the Middle Fork Trailhead to the top of the hill on the east side of Yogo crossing. Work on Arch Coulee may begin as early as next summer."
As I mentioned before, the steep climb is no more. They have already turned it into switchbacks.
BUT- it will still be "open." Just alot different.

Bummer, they did that to a lot of really fun trails in Colorado... taking most of the fun out of the trail in the process. If the weather holds I'd be up for a roadtrip the weekend of the 17th. Who else might be game?

Bummer, they did that to a lot of really fun trails in Colorado... taking most of the fun out of the trail in the process. If the weather holds I'd be up for a roadtrip the weekend of the 17th. Who else might be game?

I would be up for the 17th, but that will probably depend on if they get the fire out that started on Yogo Peak that is just north and west of the end of the trail.

I am not sure where this information came from but I did the Judith Gap trail on 6-26-2021 and they did not take out any water crossings, they also made the first part of the trail that use to be a nasty straight climb a switchback so nw it is even easier to access the trail from that point on.

I am not sure where this information came from but I did the Judith Gap trail on 6-26-2021 and they did not take out any water crossings, they also made the first part of the trail that use to be a nasty straight climb a switchback so nw it is even easier to access the trail from that point on.
that's good to hear, did you see any construction equip there? last fall there was lot's of equipment sitting near the trailhead. word was that a new road in was being planned, they have to provide access to the private property at the end of the public access. those state reps must have been wrong, good news. sounds like i'll be able to get in there with the suburu now that they got rid of that nasty straight climb, excellent.

that's good to hear, did you see any construction equip there? last fall there was lot's of equipment sitting near the trailhead. word was that a new road in was being planned, they have to provide access to the private property at the end of the public access. those state reps must have been wrong, good news. sounds like i'll be able to get in there with the suburu now that they got rid of that nasty straight climb, excellent.
There was not a single piece of construction equipment there but heading down to the first River crossing they also put in an easier way to get there but other than that and the elimination of the first deep climb after the first water crossing there was no signs of any change in the trail. Based on what I read the only way they could get rid of the river crossings is to make a completely different trail and that would follow a current motorcycle trail and making that wider but it sounds like that would cost too much to do and they're just going to leave it the way it is.

There was not a single piece of construction equipment there but heading down to the first River crossing they also put in an easier way to get there but other than that and the elimination of the first deep climb after the first water crossing there was no signs of any change in the trail. Based on what I read the only way they could get rid of the river crossings is to make a completely different trail and that would follow a current motorcycle trail and making that wider but it sounds like that would cost too much to do and they're just going to leave it the way it is.
As i recall, which is kinda hard to do, they were going to drop in off of woodcutter or wood chopper ridge road. i'm probably way off on the name, if they have pulled out then they did all the remedy they would want to do if a new rd is being planned. from the trailhead to that first crossing was rerouted last fall and then they got rid of the straight climb out of the creek which would have had lots of water flow in a runoff situation. no need to spend money going further up the trail if another route is being planned. glad you guys got to get up there, really neat country and sounds like a good trip. how were the mosquito's? getting pretty thick in the pintlars

As i recall, which is kinda hard to do, they were going to drop in off of woodcutter or wood chopper ridge road. i'm probably way off on the name, if they have pulled out then they did all the remedy they would want to do if a new rd is being planned. from the trailhead to that first crossing was rerouted last fall and then they got rid of the straight climb out of the creek which would have had lots of water flow in a runoff situation. no need to spend money going further up the trail if another route is being planned. glad you guys got to get up there, really neat country and sounds like a good trip. how were the mosquito's? getting pretty thick in the pintlars
No mosquitoes but there was a lot of what I would call horse flies on the trail we didn't stop much until we got towards the end to have lunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom