Went exploring trails today, some pics... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found some trails that were quite similar to the last group run through Gillette?

Difference was, its basically 1 mile from my house, and a lot more brush to make it through.

Damn was my woman PISSED when she heard the scratching noises from the brush on the side of the truck...but she calmed down after she saw me wipe my finger across a "scratch" and it disappeared.

It started off as a forest road I think, then branches off all over the mountains as hill climbs, rocky climbs, steep ascents and descents.

I only got a few pictures, because half the time I was having too much fun.

The route I took brought me out towards and into Hayfield Draw OHV area.

It was quite fun running through the sandwashes as well.

The looks on everyone's face in the staging area when I drove a LEXUS up a steep hill to exit the sandwash, covered in dust and what looked like enough scratches to total the car was priceless.

There's LOTS more to explore out there, but heres a few random pics I was able to take:

MVC-001S.jpg

MVC-002S.jpg

MVC-005S.jpg

MVC-006S.jpg

MVC-007S.jpg

Looks like a good time, Cody!

Some plants don't scratch much, others are nasty, manzanita, catclaw and oak are some of the worst. A good coat of wax helps too, it allows them to slide over the paint, instead of digging in as bad.

everything there was pretty light brush...nothing that really left a scratch....just lines in the dust.

There was a little underpass just outside of Hayfield Draw under 260 that was literally about 1" taller, and 1" on each side wider than the mirrors on the Lexus...thats the only time I got a bit worried....but no contact so all is well.

Ill have to get some more pics on the fun stuff when I don't have the woman shouting OMG!!!!! every 2 seconds...lol.

I might have seen some of it before on my quad...not on this trip though.

We're both in the same town.....we should go run around on these trails sometime!

That's the way to do it, just explore what's out there. Have fun........

Once she stops the OMGs she might like it so much you might have to buy her her own toy :grinpimp:

Well Cody, I plan on doing some more exploring around the House Mountain area soon. And if it ever snows, I'm gonna make a B-line for Cedar Flats to do a little muddin' and snow boggin'.

Location?

CodyRx7 said:
everything there was pretty light brush...nothing that really left a scratch....just lines in the dust.

There was a little underpass just outside of Hayfield Draw under 260 that was literally about 1" taller, and 1" on each side wider than the mirrors on the Lexus...thats the only time I got a bit worried....but no contact so all is well.

Ill have to get some more pics on the fun stuff when I don't have the woman shouting OMG!!!!! every 2 seconds...lol.

Cody,
Where is this area? I'm not familliar w/ the name. Looks like a great place for exploring.

I started on trails in Cottonwood (next to Sedona) and ended up just a few miles up Highway 260 in Camp Verde where I connected back to pavement.

It's the turn off to old 279 across 260 from Thousand Trails RV Park. You take it west up to the foot of the mountains and then it winds south, eventually meeting up with Cherry Rd. Those wash sections are quad trails for the most part leading back eastward down to Hayfield Draw at right around the half-way point of the route mentioned above. Does this sound right Cody?

Yup.

There are several different trails when you're on the mountain or hill....or whatever it is.

Some looked like rock "stairs" going up, some trails were very easy and maintained, some were parts of washes coming down the hills.

Only difference was that I take Old 279 straight back from Rio Mesa where my house is until the road ends at the cattleguard, but they both intersect there.

Went and played around a little closer to home today. Only 2 pics this time, but I was just playing in the washes on the trails where the ATVs play.

On the longer hill, I actually got stuck a after heading up after the picture - so I see where lockers would come in handy now.

I also dragged the running boards on a few hills so I see the need for sliders and a lift even on these little "obstacles".

Still fun tho.

MVC-012S.jpg

MVC-013S.jpg

Nice pix!

My wife does the same thing when she hears the scratching.

Must be a woman thing. :D

nice pics

CodyRx7 said:
I started on trails in Cottonwood (next to Sedona) and ended up just a few miles up Highway 260 in Camp Verde where I connected back to pavement.

Thanks for the directions/pics Cody (and RUSH). Although I'm tied in tight w/ school right now, I hope to get some wheeling in soon, especially north of Phx. I did manage to go for a picnic last w/e though (w/ girlfriend, a guest, 2 dogs and BBQ steaks). Here's a pic leaving Table Top Mtn (background right) south of Phx at sunset
tabletop trip2.jpg

Looks like fun Cody! No worries about the pinstripes. Maybe it is a chick thing. I worried about my paint forever, but once it was scratched even a little, I didn't care anymore. Just have to break that barrier.

After a day of tooling around Clarkdale:

LCcarnage.jpg

I ended up pulling the snake blinder off on that side yesterday.

More pics:

http://www.grrlscout.com/photos/wheeling/

Way to not invite me out!

Wasting no time there, Cody, way to go!

CodyRx7 said:
Way to not invite me out!
That was in November, before you even got your LX I believe. :flipoff2:

My GF (she owns the Pathfinder) and I keep kicking around an idea of inviting our Flag friends (Heepers) down for a Verde area spin. But we're never able to pick a date and get it rolling. If it ever happens, I'll keep ya posted.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any planned or spontaneous runs in this area. I work from home, so I set my work schedule around playing instead of the other way around...

This is the worst quality video ever, because for some reason I can't get the file to transfer properly, so I had to use a digital camera filming the file playing on my cell phone to get it into a useable file...

Anyways, I was playing on some little steep hill a few times (no tracks when I started)

http://media.putfile.com/MVC-001W97

Then, I found about the tightest spot I could put the truck in...lol

Photo_013106_007.jpg

Definately cant do that after a few mods...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom