Went and looked at 80's junkyard, sort of... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mot

Threads
I was contacted by a guy who claimed to be a "Cruiser Mania" after I posted on a Japanese 80's board with questions about junkyards since I was(still am) looking for 1HD engine, tranny, etc...

He said he had a few running 80's and several wrecked 80's, not to mention older 80's as well. He said that if I were "serious" about the swap, he could help me out.

So since he lived less than two hours away from me I decided to take a look at them today. Afterall, he said that he had a wrecked late-model 1HD that had only 50K miles on the clock that he said that he would part with for 600,000($5,400), engine, tranny and connected parts, as well. How could I pass, right?

So, trying not to be too optimistic, I grabbed a couple of buddies of mine and went for a ride. As I went around the corner where the guy said that I would be able to see his vehicles I was pretty excited. I was optimistic when I got out of my vehicle and started looking around in his family business ground, simply because there were so many Cruisers. It was so cool to see so many of them at one place. He wasn't lying when he said he was a "Cruiser Mania".

But my excitment faded quickly as I saw the conditions of his wrecked Cruisers. He had tarps on some parts of some of them because they were exposed to the elements.

To make a long story short, I was rather disappointed by the conditions of them. I took pictures, but I can not access them through the computer I'm using right now(I'll try later).

The late model 1HD the guy mentioned had an off-center frontal crash. The engine seemed like it was not affected/pushed in back by the crash. But it was fairly rusty(could be just cosmetics and the inside be as just as new as it only had about 30k miles on it, right ::) ;) I'm trying to see the positives :D). Anyway, the guy said that the engine should still be operatable w/o overhauling. Yeah, right!

I tried SOOO hard trying to talk myself out of the idea of getting the engine/tranny(still trying even now) because the engine looked sooo bad(I could only see the engine as the weeds were waist-high and large spiders were thriving in Cruiser heaven, not allowing me to be able to crawl under to look at the tranny). My buddies certainly tried to talk me out of it.

Anyway, I told the guy that I would get back to him, thinking he couldn't be serious wanting me to fork out that kind of money for a motor/tranny that have not seen any actions in a few years, left out in the open.

I know that it's hard to determine w/o looking at it in person or looking at pictures. But I come before you humbly asking for your wisdom: What are the chances that an engine in a vehicle that has not been operated/touched for a few years be in a good shape. How much work would it take to get it in a pristine condition? Would it most likely need an overhaul? Also, would the rust be relatively easy to come out of?

If you can give me feedback from your experience, that would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I am planning on hitting some local junkyards looking for wrecked Cruisers, as well as trying the used parts dealer by my house for availability/prices on what I need.

I hope what I have written makes some sense, even though it's almost 2:00am here.

Many thanks in advance.

mot

Mot,
When I look at an engine the first two considerations I have are: does it turn over freely, and is it complete. Since it was wrecked it probably was running at the time. If it was left uncovered I would make sure no water got in the intake and into the cyclinders. I don't know what the weather is like in Japan, but here the water in the engine is bad enough but if it freezes, the engine is basically toast. You can try to get the guy to turn the engine over (and at least one complete revolution) by taking the inspection plate off the front of the tranny and using a tire iron or large screwdriver on the flywheel if the electrics don't work. For that kind of money you may even be able to get him start it so you can hear it running and make an assessment. You don't need a whole vehicle to get an engine running.
Being complete is important because it can really add up trying to buy the little bits that are missing or broke.
Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the tip.

I am trying to leave my options open by not committing to it, yet. I will try to get over there again and have the guy do what you suggested and see what happens.

The weather is quite moist/humid over here and the area where the vehicle is gets quite cold(by Mt. Fuji).

I do recall seeing the intake cover thingie being off where it's attached to air filter. The owner said that it should be fine, but my buddy was not so sure. I'll try to post some pics if I can trim them tomorrow(I took around 30) and see what you guys think.
Now that I've had some time to think about it, I feel that I might be better off purchasing a "moving" vehicle which has even twice the mileage for a little more cost(600,000 yen vs 800,000-900,000 yen:$5,400 vs $7,300-$8,200). A few of them seem to be always available on Yahoo Auction Japan. What do you think?

There's also an early model with 12 valves that is on Yahoo Japan now(runs only in 4-low for some reason, but otherwise, it looks clean). I also am exploring the possibility of exporting/importing for less than one year and get temporary license/permit so I would not have to deal with D.O.T. I'm in the process of hearing back from some dealers whether that's possible or not(supposedly, it is. But don't know with diesel models). You are supposed to send the vehicle back to Japan by the end of the year. But I am waiting to find out if I could just get the necessary components out and send the rest to a junkyard(you are not even supposed to sell the vehicle).

Anyway, I'll let you know what I end up doing. I know that it's going to be a long process, but I am optimistic that it will be worth it.

I'll let you know if I come across one with drapes and screens ;)

Thanks again.

mot

Mot...off topic, but do you have any good Japanese/non-us websights & forums that you could post links to. I would be interested in visiting some of them ..

Thanks..

Later..
-Joe M.-

Here are the pics.

I'm posting a few of them. Now go easy on me, please ;)

More from slightly different angle.

Only two more, including this one.

Last one.

What do you think? Should I be concerned about the open-ended black hose next to the eigine(water/bugs, etc... getting in)?

Am I being too big of a wuss? I'm wanting you guys to tell me that with only about 30k miles, this is a killer deal for less than $6k, especially with the auto tranny and other necessary(if salvageable: spelling) parts attached to them. :D

Tell me what you think ???

Thanks!

mot

Man that would be awesome to go through that Cruiser Graveyard. Cool pics...I'm sure you had a great time. You got anymore pics showing other vehicles out there?
:cheers:

The pic of the engine bay looks a lot better than the pic from the passenger seat.... :doh:

I took a few more, including some running ones, but I've switched computers and can't access them right now. They are nothing to write home about, except he had one with caterpillers, kind of like a snowcoach. I know there's a name for it for the product, but can't remember. No antique Cruiser, though, some Prados,a Safari and Surf(4Runner).

I wish he would have kept them garaged. I was checking Yahoo Auction and the same guy is trying to get another 80 :eek: :eek: :eek:

He said that he has an FZJ that he would be willing to sell me the cool box/rear AC parts off of if I could. But I don't know if it would be that easy. I'll think about it. It's the wrecked Cruiser you can see in the background of the naked engine pic(s). Looks like it's hurtin', too! ;)

mot

and the bag is out too...
:'(

[quote author=mot link=board=2;threadid=7584;start=msg63613#msg63613 date=1068946668]

What do you think? Should I be concerned about the open-ended black hose next to the eigine(water/bugs, etc... getting in)? [/quote]

moT, those pipes that are facing up are the intake pipes to the turbo. I'm not sure if I'd like to see a turbo intake covered with newspaper as in the 1HD-T, much less open to the sky waiting to be filled up with water like in the 1HD-FT. If the valve cover and the cross over pipe are that rusted, I bet the engine has seen a lot of water.

The 1HD-T is also missing the alternator and the timing valve cover. The (bent) PS reservoir is also left open to the elements save for some tape. Better pass on it.

The 1HD-FT is a bit more rusted. Parts of that engine will be unobtainium in the US when you get back. At least the 1HD-T still has some parts common with the 1HZ available from a dealer in Canada.

The price of $4500 each is a bit high in Japan IMO. I'd shop around for engines in better condition. From what I heard Yahoo.jp is a crapshoot. Wait a couple of years when diesels are outlawed in the Tokyo region then the prices will come down

Dave

Dave,

I was hoping that I would not have to send the guy the e-mail I had written to turn him down on his generous offer. :'(

Thanks for your input. It was not exactly what I wanted to hear. I wanted so badly to get it, but deep inside I knew that it was not that good of a deal. I just needed to hear it from a Cruiserhead ;)

I'll keep looking.

BTW, the outlawing of diesels in Tokyo is already beginning and there have been quite a few diesel Cruisers available here. I'll keep my chin up! :)

Thanks again.

mot

Mot -
Sorry to say that was less of a junkyard and more of a graveyard :'(.
I would consider buying a part from that place if I could remove it myself and check the condition, but I would not buy anything complex and certainly nothing electrical.

Keep looking. I know you'll find that you want!

LT

:D

LT,

Thanks!
I'm planning on dropping by at a couple of local junkyards to see if they have anything Cruiser-related and see what the going rates of their engines, as well as other parts are.

mot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom