Wenches...er I mean Winches (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I price very expensive front bumpers I am also pricing winches. I have a FZJ80 and was wondering of anyone has any suggestions, ideas or horror stories on a particular winch model or brand. Maybe what to look for in a new or used and cable or rope. What holds up in NM sun maybe? Thanks in advance. :cheers:

As you know, the 80's are very heavy trucks, especially when you start weighting them down with armor, big tires, etc. I recommend a powerful winch, like the Warn M12000. I've been pleased with mine. I still have the steel cable and may consider synthetic rope when the cable needs replacing. Of course, the choice of winch may be dictated by the bumper you choose. I have an old school Slee bumper and the M12000 fits perfectly.

Hope that helps.

If you can afford it, Warn XP9500 is a decent winch and has a very fast line speed. My M10000 is strong but very slow. Slow is ok during winching but after you're done, it'd be nice to have a fast winch to spool up the cable and head down the trail.

Too much winch is no better than not enough. I have a Warn HS9500i on a heavily-armored V8J60 that was sucessfull in breaking the bumper frame mounts on my truck when I tried to winch a 4Runner off a stump. Point is, you can pull your truck apart if your winch is too powerfull and you (or your winched vehicle) is really stuck. If I'd known more I would have chosen a less rated winch and used a snatch block for those sticky situations (read that: block and tackle to double the pull). But, with like everything else male oriented bigger is always claimed to be better. Your choice.

Last edited:
i have the warn M8k, and a snatchblock. i went for lighter rather than heavier. it has served me so far, can't say i've tried anything silly with it yet. i havent' upgraded out of the wire rope i bought it with, someday.

sl33p3 said:
i have the warn M8k, and a snatchblock. i went for lighter rather than heavier. it has served me so far, can't say i've tried anything silly with it yet. i havent' upgraded out of the wire rope i bought it with, someday.

I've done stupid silly things in my 80.

The Warn 8K has served me just dandy.

The bumpers in question are the Short Bus and of course winch capable ARB. I have shopped some of these models and at least I am looking in the right area. Thank you for the comments and experiences they help a lot. :cheers:

The bumpers in question are the Short Bus and of course winch capable ARB. I have shopped some of these models and at least I am looking in the right area. Thank you for the comments and experiences they help a lot. :cheers:

both great choices, fwiw i have the arb and needed to put in some spacers to make my m8 not touch the bumper on the edges (~.25" thick aluminum strap is what i used under the mounting feet), i understand this is not the case with the bigger winches. also remote solenoid box is nice if you want to hide it.

Warn Industries - Jeep, Truck & SUV Winches: VR10000
This seems to be a big winch for a decent price. Am I missing something?

it is their cheapest s***, looks like what he "tabor" stuff was before, heard not favorable things, but you never really know the situation. if you were really going to use it, i think the premium line is the minimum step to go to... just my .02$

for ref i bought my warn m8 for $500 shipped from amazon some time back, free shipping with prime...

fyi warn used to have factory refurbs sold directly from their site for good prices, but my bookmark to it doesn't work and i haven't searched since...

thats what I was afraid of. Im usually more likely to just spend the money the first time rather than replacing crap with quality I should have bought the first time. Thank you thank you thank you for the tips and advice.:cheers:

Now I gots to figure out a way to get this on before CM :bounce::bounce2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom