1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well....we're moved and I'm exhausted!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Arya Ebrahimi, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

A little history-

We(my family) own a house here in Rockville, MD that has been in my mom's family since 1890. We lived here for a good bit of my childhood until I was 12, at which point we moved to Virginia Beach, VA for my dad's job and leased out the Rockville house. It was supposed to be a temporary 1-year assignment. That was 9 years ago. Anyway, the schools in VB are much better than here, and my younger brother was still in high school when my dad was able to return to the Rockville area. My parents decided to let my brother finish high school before returning to this area. My brother graduated HS w/ honors 2 weeks ago. My parents got a contract on the house in VB about a month ago for $30k more than they were asking(gotta love this housing market :D ). They closed two Fridays ago and we began the move back to MD this past Wednesday. In the meantime the lease on my apartment at school was expiring and I had to go move to my new apartment.

So, after 5 consecutive days of loading/unloading furniture, and humping boxes up and down 2 flights of stairs, I can finally say that we're moved! Thank god!

I know one thing I don't want to be when I grow up, and that's a mover!

Here's a shot of the house we moved back into. Damn it feels good to be back, I missed this house.
    [​IMG]

2. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Cool house with lotsa history I'd bet. Care to divulge?

I don't have to tell you this, but they sure don't build them like that anymore. Gotta love an old house in good shape, the widow-walk, etc.....(and wrap around porches rule!)

What is the thing on the second elevation's roof? Some kind of snow catch or something? I worked the northern states for awhile and was always intrigued by the snow melters, etc., that you don't see much anymore......gutter heaters, etc.

Cool house.

3. Koffer

Koffer

Yeah thats what they are .
    They keep the snow from siding down like a avalanche when it starts to melt . It does clean the roof off in one shot without them though just dont want to be under it when it lets go . On that house it would wreck the porch roof with a ton of wet snow crashing down on it :frown:

4. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

House was built in 1890 under the direction of my great great grandparents. They were the first house on the street and as such named it. It has a stone-walled, dirt floored basement. It is 3 stories, and originally 8 bedrooms. Now it is 7 bedrooms and one of the bedrooms on the 3rd floor was converted to a kitchen to create a mother-in-law suite on the 3rd floor. Total of 7 bedrooms, 4 baths, and 2 kitchens. I think its 4900 SF.

My dad renovated the house from the studs up in 1991. The house was modernized throughout, but the historic aspects were restained(sometimes under duress because of the local "historic commision"). The mahogany staircase and hardwood floors are all original. There is an atrium through the middle of the house w/ a skylight at the top(we call it the "hole"). Makes for a great laundry chute/bombing arena :D

Exterior is all solid redwood siding, originally stained white, but later painted the beige color you see in the pic. Windows are modern double-paned glass. The widow-walk is somewhat functional. You access it through an oversized window in the master bedroom closet. There is no flooring material, just ice and water shield, but it is accesable for christmas lights etc.

There is a detached 2 car garage that is 1.5 cars deep leaving room for a small workshop area. There used to be an observatory in the back yard where a good deal of charting of the stars was done. My mom's Uncle Edwin worked for/helped start NOAA.

All in all the house is pretty historic, and I'm sure there's TONS about it that I don't even know. 4 generations of my mom's family have been raised in this house.

I gotta get back to changing light bulbs and other general handyman work. I'll try to remember more and post back.

Ary

BTW, yes, the things on the roof are for preventing the snow from falling off. Before the renovation the house had an authentic slate roof(that leaked like a sieve).

5. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    :eek: Dude you autta be rollin in the babes if you tell them you live in a mansion. Jesus, that place is HUGE.

Now I will retreat to my hole. :D