Well this Sucks! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know what sucks more, accepting that your Cruiser is totalled or trying to find a replacement. I don't want to know how many I have looked at on CL, dealers, Mud, autotrader, etc... for not only Cruisers, but anything, but it is starting to give me a headache. Finding some entertaing deals out of state, but I need to find someone to look at them before I head out there. Trying to take my time and find the right one. Even only holding out to test drive some of the local Hundy's. I would have to finace some of one and I'm trying to avoid that. Don't even know if I like them yet. I guess when I decide to pull the trigger, one will run me over. That one, I gotta have.

Rudy--

I have a nice 80 series (1994) with lockers, ARB, rear tire carrier, sliders, etc. 197,xxx miles.

Front axle job, rear axle job, new rotors, brakes rebuilt...new HG and all new parts. Everything done by Robbie Antonson here at Proffitt's.

Ready to roll off the lot. Of course, 6M1. Let me know if you are interested.

I can deliver to ABQ next week.

Oh, and new BFG KM2's, an OME 2.5 lift, leather too!

Last edited:
Buy a nice 4 Runner and put 100 series badges on it. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.

Given how Rudy treated his 80, a 60 should fit his needs well. He can throw all kinds of landscaping material in the cargo area and then hose it out once a month, LOL!!!

I can't see him in a Hundy though....not sure why....maybe they're just too plush for him?

If you buy a Hundy you'll have to be prepared for the lack of respect because of the IFS and all the Grey Poupon jokes. But you can laugh at everyone in your rear-view mirror as the 320 lb-ft of torque takes you up the hill they're struggling to get up.

Uhh yeah, if it's paved...

Of course a 3rd gen 4R will be in front of *you* then!

Uhh yeah, if it's paved...

Of course a 3rd gen 4R will be in front of *you* then!

4Runner - 5VZ-FE: 3.4L V6 = 190 hp & 220 ft-lbs of torque
UZJ100 - 2UZ-FE: 4.7L V8 = 230 hp & 320 ft-lbs of torque
Am I missing something?

4Runner - 5VZ-FE: 3.4L V6 = 190 hp & 220 ft-lbs of torque
UZJ100 - 2UZ-FE: 4.7L V8 = 230 hp & 320 ft-lbs of torque
Am I missing something?

Yes -

3rd Gen 4Runner (aka Landcruiser Prado in most of the world) curb weight approx 3,600 lbs.
100 Series curb weight approx 5,100 lbs.

3rd gen 3,600/190 = 19 lbs per hp, EPA highway mpg 19
100 Series 5,100/230 = 22 lbs per hp, EPA highway mpg 15

Apples and Oranges of course...

If you buy a Hundy you'll have to be prepared for the lack of respect because of the IFS and all the Grey Poupon jokes.....

No Marc, I think that is only you. Ron has a Hundy, but you don't hear everyone poking fun at him. BTW, when is your birthday? I think I should buy you a new bottle of Grey Poupon. Your bottle is probably dried out and all crusty now. Just like your hundy not getting used.

Given how Rudy treated his 80, a 60 should fit his needs well. He can throw all kinds of landscaping material in the cargo area and then hose it out once a month, LOL!!!

I can't see him in a Hundy though....not sure why....maybe they're just too plush for him?

Really Ash? IIRC, some of that landscape material went to your house. How is that wall(s) holding up? Maybe it's time to stop helping friends and enjoy a plush ride in a Hundy? Just a thought......

Yes -

3rd Gen 4Runner (aka Landcruiser Prado in most of the world) curb weight approx 3,600 lbs.
100 Series curb weight approx 5,100 lbs.

3rd gen 3,600/190 = 19 lbs per hp, EPA highway mpg 19
100 Series 5,100/230 = 22 lbs per hp, EPA highway mpg 15

Apples and Oranges of course...

Oh sure, go and use math on me to prove your point. I intentionally didn't use it because I was afraid of the answer.
Although...
3,600/220 = 16.4 lb per ft-lb torque
5,100/320 = 15.9 lb per ft-lb torque

Don't remind me about the fuel economy. I pretend to not think about it.

No Marc, I think that is only you. Ron has a Hundy, but you don't hear everyone poking fun at him. BTW, when is your birthday? I think I should buy you a new bottle of Grey Poupon. Your bottle is probably dried out and all crusty now. Just like your hundy not getting used.

"Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm gonna eat a worm"

Make sure it is the value size bottle of Grey Poupon from Costco. It goes well with Dom Perignon and Truffles.

Oh sure, go and use math on me to prove your point. I intentionally didn't use it because I was afraid of the answer.
Although...
3,600/220 = 16.4 lb per ft-lb torque
5,100/320 = 15.9 lb per ft-lb torque

Marc, Marc, Marc. You're an engineer - you know torque can be multiplied by gearing, but horsepower can't...

:steer:

This is incorrect.

The 4Runner overseas is called the "Surf".

The Land Cruiser Prado is its own platform...similar to the GX470/460.

Correct from a sales point of view, but it would depend on what one defines as a "platform" - maybe chassis? The 3rd gen has much more in common with the Prado than with the 2nd gen 4Runner. This is from Wikipedia:

"In 1995 (for the 1996 US model year) marked another significant redesign of the then aging 4Runner. Whereas the transition to the second generation 4Runner was one that kept the build quality and options roughly on par with the rest of the mid-size SUV market, the changes made in the third generation turned the 4Runner into a more luxury-oriented vehicle. This move paralleled the changes to the 1996 Nissan Pathfinder, but moved the 4Runner into a distinctly different class from its older competitors, the Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Blazer, and Isuzu Rodeo. The third generation 4Runner did, however, look very similar to the second generation.

This similarity largely ended with its looks. It carried over the basic design and concept, but executed it differently with an all-new body shell on an all-new chassis. This time, it shared virtually nothing with the pickup it had originally evolved from, and had more in common with the Land Cruiser, as it shared its chassis with that of the Land Cruiser Prado."

Where is my :popcorn:?

Where is my :popcorn:?

Sorry, no show today. Onur is right, the 3rd gen was marketed as a Surf although it had much more in common with the Prado than previous Surfs, or even the parallel year Hilux pickups it originally came from.

The V6 petrol Prado came with the same3.4 litre that he Runner did. The V8 petrol is really rare in Oz due to the high cost of registration for a V8.

The D4-D in the diesel version is the same engine in the Hilux, but the Runner is no longer sold in Australia. When it was, it was called the 4Runner in Australia and was sold with the 2.4 4 cyl or 3.0 6 cyl petrol or 2.4 or 2.8 n.a. diesel: Surf was the name for the JDM ones which are still pretty plentiful in Oz. They came with either the 3.0 petrol (3.4 in later years), 2.4 TD (rubbish reputation, though mostly due to over-heating issues and head gasket problems) and the 3.0 TD which had a great reputation and occasionally finds its way into Hiluxs as a swap.

The Runner is no longer sold in Australia because the Prado would be its competition. Here, the LX470 is probably not seen as competition, so we still ahve the Runner.

I still vote for a 4Runner with 100 series badges - or better yet, and LX470 with 4 Runner badges, just to mix things up. OR, a 100 series with Hyundai Santa Fe badges - now THAT would be schmick!

My only point was call what they called what they are called.

Similarities or not, every single Toyota vehicle has an engine family/model- world specifications ...

Do the diligence and call it what it is.

Disagreeing with Onur about Land Cruisers would be like ... like disagreeing with Robbie or CDan about Land Cruisers. (You're never going to be right)

However, it is what it is no matter what it's called...

How does that go? A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet...

Check out this VW Taro:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vw_taro

Last edited:
And to think, I really only wanted another 80 :rolleyes: !

Josh, I think I am going to buy a Chevy Luv and put the Land Cruiser bagdges that I have here on it. I had to import that puppy!

"Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm gonna eat a worm"

Make sure it is the value size bottle of Grey Poupon from Costco. It goes well with Dom Perignon and Truffles.

What? Did you grow a vagina or something? :eek: Is it that time of month or are you pregnant? :flipoff2:

What? Did you grow a vagina or something? :eek: Is it that time of month or are you pregnant? :flipoff2:

ban.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom