Well this Sucks! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buying it back is pretty cheap. Your only competition are junkyards. You would get more for your rear locker than you spend on it. My recovered '85 4Runner - stripped but left with bumpers, sliders, lockers and drivetrain only cost me $100.

If only my buy back was that cheap.

I'm glad to hear that. After 20 years with Farmers I switched to State Farm about 4 months ago. Nice to know they are reasonable.

I have a few 60 series full floaters laying about. We could make a locked one out of your rear and you could build a 40 :)

I'm glad to hear that. After 20 years with Farmers I switched to State Farm about 4 months ago. Nice to know they are reasonable.

I have a few 60 series full floaters laying about. We could make a locked one out of your rear and you could build a 40 :)

My rear is already locked.

It's funny, I was going to check with farmers on auto, since their home owner's was cheaper than Sate Farm that Monday morning.

Rudy,

Given your propensity to let project languish for years in the garage, I'd suggest that you walk away from this with cash in hand. Parting out an 80 is a huge task and has a high PITA factor while consuming a huge amount of time. If you want to buy another 80, go for it. Or get a newer 4Runner, which you seem to love. With cash in hand, you have lots of time to look around and get just the right vehicle of your choice.

Just my .02 cents.

Slight hijack:

I tend to treat insurance companies like any other commodities and shop for the best rates annually. While the local agents talk the big game about "service", the low overhead companies like Geico and Progressive have darn good service from what I've experienced. Frankly, I don't care to know my local insurance agent like a family member - just give me a good product and pay up when needed. Still, I'd like to give the business to a local if possible.

I went from Farmers (of many years) to State Farm to finally Geico (for auto insurance). It's time I do this again and the local Safeco agent (my home ins) is telling me that she can beat Geico for Auto as well so I'll be looking into this shortly.

Insurance business is like any other business, out to make a buck and our needs are not a huge deal to them it seems.

I agree Ash. But I reckon you need to swap every couple of years no matter what. Going to State Farm saved me a bundle over Farmers but not because Farmers is more expensive, you just need to switch regularly to keep getting the best rates from whom ever.

my experience with other's home owners ins(from work)- when a fire or damage happens, the best ins is USAA, then Farmers. they pay out no questions. the worst is All State. they will fight and do everything to not pay out, meanwhile the house is burned down and the family is staying in a hotel or with other family.
vehicles are a little different. but the problem is still there. don't know as much about them since I spend less time at car accidents and I don't usually talk to the tow truck driver that shows up after I left. the guys at ABQ board up are very experienced in the home owners issues.
just another factor to be placed in there...:D

Rudy,

Given your propensity to let project languish for years in the garage, I'd suggest that you walk away from this with cash in hand. Parting out an 80 is a huge task and has a high PITA factor while consuming a huge amount of time. If you want to buy another 80, go for it. Or get a newer 4Runner, which you seem to love. With cash in hand, you have lots of time to look around and get just the right vehicle of your choice.

Just my .02 cents.

I hate to say it, but Ash is right. I already talked to the body shop, and he asked if I got everything I wanted. I said I want the sliders since they are not giving me a deal with that upgrade. He said come and get them. He will tell them it has not been released until I get what I want from it. So I'm going to go get the sliders tomorrow. If I can find out where it's going, I will post up.

Pull out the HAM antenna wire + mount if you can, they do cost a pretty penny.

Pull out the HAM antenna wire + mount if you can, they do cost a pretty penny.

Took those too. I remembered to take an allen set today. The only upgrades I didn't take were the tires with 45k on them and the bent ARB bumper. There was nothing left to take inside the truck except for the radio, but I hated that one anyways. Stopped and got my check today, so I guess it's time to start looking.

How much do they want for it? How much are your lockers alone worth?

How much do they want for it? How much are your lockers alone worth?

I look at it this way. They wanted almost 2k for it. With the 3 or 4 four hours I get to do what I want after work and before I have to be in bed, how much work am i going to get done when I am tired? Weekend comes, i don't want to be locked in the garage all day, I do like to go do stuff. Ok, so I spend the time to pull the lockers and what ever other parts for others (who knows when I will get that part removed?), what do I do with the carcass of a cruiser left in my garage that no one wants. Now i have to get rid of a bent frame, twisted metal and other stuff. I don't want that. I do enjoy working on trucks and off roading, but as far as it controling and taking over my life and home, I think I will pass on this one. Any other questions Dr. Phil?

No further questions your honor. 2k is way too much. I was comparing it to my non-wrecked but stripped of cosmetics (well, and a brand new winch) '85 4Runner.

Rudical said:
I look at it this way. They wanted almost 2k for it. With the 3 or 4 four hours I get to do what I want after work and before I have to be in bed, how much work am i going to get done when I am tired? Weekend comes, i don't want to be locked in the garage all day, I do like to go do stuff. Ok, so I spend the time to pull the lockers and what ever other parts for others (who knows when I will get that part removed?), what do I do with the carcass of a cruiser left in my garage that no one wants. Now i have to get rid of a bent frame, twisted metal and other stuff. I don't want that. I do enjoy working on trucks and off roading, but as far as it controling and taking over my life and home, I think I will pass on this one. Any other questions Dr. Phil?

Understood. PLease let us know what bone yard it goes too

I would push the insurance company on upgrades. When Rou wrecked his 100, they gave him at least 1/2 value for all the upgrades he had receipts for, as well as his new brake job and new tires. If you already signed, you're probably screwed. Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

No one in the club wants the whole thing for $2k? lift, lockers, tires, leather, low miles parts, other body parts, etc?

The only thing worth much to me would be the front locker.

I would push the insurance company on upgrades. When Rou wrecked his 100, they gave him at least 1/2 value for all the upgrades he had receipts for, as well as his new brake job and new tires. If you already signed, you're probably screwed. Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

No one in the club wants the whole thing for $2k? lift, lockers, tires, leather, low miles parts, other body parts, etc?

Yes David, we did discuss the upgrades. Even though the lockers were factory, I explained that most Cruisers don't have them. It started at a lower value than what I ended up with. The only thing they did not add value for was the sliders, that is why I took them back along with things they gave me credit for.

As the info some of you are looking for: I just called the insurance, it's going to auction.

She said it won't go up quickly because they have to wait for all the paperwork to filter in.

Last edited:
I don't know what sucks more, accepting that your Cruiser is totalled or trying to find a replacement. I don't want to know how many I have looked at on CL, dealers, Mud, autotrader, etc... for not only Cruisers, but anything, but it is starting to give me a headache. Finding some entertaing deals out of state, but I need to find someone to look at them before I head out there. Trying to take my time and find the right one. Even only holding out to test drive some of the local Hundy's. I would have to finace some of one and I'm trying to avoid that. Don't even know if I like them yet. I guess when I decide to pull the trigger, one will run me over. That one, I gotta have.

If you buy a Hundy you'll have to be prepared for the lack of respect because of the IFS and all the Grey Poupon jokes. But you can laugh at everyone in your rear-view mirror as the 320 lb-ft of torque takes you up the hill they're struggling to get up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom