well this is sad, Jeep might be making something really nice... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That thing is ugly as s***.... Lol

Cool, I wonder how much those portals cost....
Oh, they're $22,000. :rolleyes:

It's weird, But I feel good knowing Jeep will never make and sell something this cool in North America. For a second, my Landcruiser-Cool-Self Confindence was threatened:crybaby: by the potential of this rig showing up (if that makes sense?:meh:) but if jeep can't make and sell a diesel in the North American market, I doubt I have to worry about something this specialized showing up over here.

I very much doubt the 'cusshy' North American market would by enough to justify tooling up for production. If they put in a diesel it may sell better worldwide - needs at least an extended cab. .

I suppose it is Jeep's approach to Unimog, it may end up getting marketed to the same buyers as the Unimog.....if they put a diesel in it. Otherwise the silly thing will never get out of the city for fear of running out of fuel.

It looks like those portal axles are for upgrade aftermarket parts that will be sold by Jeep for $23,500 for the set, or bought individually. So you can build up your Jeep.

Mopar Portal Axles: the good, the bad, ?what on Earth is it??

I agree a dual cab and diesel would be nice, and if it uses the same removable roof panels it would be a pretty sweet Unimog replacement.

Last edited:
Sass (Tmax) over on Bc4x4 has some mog axles for sale......

And FWIW, I think those new J*$p four door models are pretty nice; 4:1 tcase, locking (solid) f& rear axles, removable top, etc. Every thing the FJ Cruiser should have been........

And FWIW, I think those new J*$p four door models are pretty nice; 4:1 tcase, locking (solid) f& rear axles, removable top, etc. Every thing the FJ Cruiser should have been........

exactly. 6 speed manual trans too. That would be nice.

I was reading an article on those 4-door Heeps the other day, and apparently they beefed up just about all the bits in the front axle, except the axle tube itself, so many of them that are on 33" or bigger tires are already running around with a bent front axle. Of course the aftermarket is happy to provide solutions, but it seems that Chrysler isn't.

That thing does look pretty cool I gotta say. wouldn't buy it, but am also wondering why Toyota could't make some thing that bad ass looking when making the FJ, cause if they had some retro looking 40 series on portals with diesel, built on a 70 series chasis, you know one of those would probably be in my driveway, even it not being oldschool:hillbilly:

My friends dad use to have one of these when i was a kid. I thought they were pretty cool. Ugly yes, but still cool.

FC-Jeep-1.jpg

IIRC, it had a 1T rating or that is the way he treated it. He was a logging road builder contractor. That little beast use to carry a lot of gear in tough conditions in the bush.

"Forward control" is ideal for a expedition/camper rig - maximum payload space, although engine access in the Pinzgauer was as a PITA

Engine access in any forward control vehicle is usually a pain unless it is a cab over design like the large trucks. It also helps clean up the inside of the cab, everything lands on the windshield and you find those little things you have been looking for.
At one of my old jobs we used to drive those Toyota LE vans (can't tell the front from the back), it was actually great working on the engine if it was raining outside, just sit in the cab on the passenger seat and keep wrenching, while you're dry, rebuilt a motor that way.
Most non military vehicles are not designed for proper weight distribution, they offset the weight too much from its optimum spots. In the design of the FJ/BJ60 for example, you have the lightest thing in between the axles = the people, the engine overhangs the front, the fuel hangs out past the rear, the cargo area is mostly overhanging the rear and past it, while the optimum weight carrying space is left for the lightest objects. Most vehicles are built that way - forward control vehicle offer the ability to change that and are much more effective for weight distribution (when you are fully loaded) but are uglier and less appealing to most people.

JEEP= UGLY

"I rather drive:steer: my LC80 everyday and twice on Sunday":D

All the new mini van inspired SUV's are ugly.

That jeep FC as with many prototypes has potential. But most of the coolness is lost in translation after the corporate folks find ways to make it profitable. If it ever makes it past prototype at all.

I saw a lifted double cab 4x4 HiAce up by PG. Looked like a good setup, but I think I'd prefer something on a heavier duty base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom