Well the trucks home! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So last night I was driving home from jay's and swung by a friends place out by the hospital then on my way home my truck stuttered and died.

I gave Cam a shout and he advised me that it sounded like I had air in my injectors to try bleeding them I probably had a pinhole leak somewhere. So I bled all of the injectors and the truck ran great... for about 2 or 3 km.

Did the same thing again... got a little further but not as far as last time. This time I was stuck on a hill on west saanich road.

So I went and got a friend to come out and help me out with bleeding (step on the brake so the truck didn't roll with me on the bumper)

Still no luck... went and talked to the random European farmer guy who's place I was parked in front of and got him to bring his tractor down and drag the truck up the driveway onto his lawn for the night so I could work on it there in the morning.

Unfortunately his tractor wasn't heavy enough to pull the truck up the hill in the driveway so we got my friends truck and dragged it up.

Today me and Cam when back to rescue my truck from the guy's lawn. Swapped out the lift pump but it didn't seem to be helping we got it bled again and it ran great... for about 2 km or so. We thought perhaps we where missing a crush washer so we went on a trip to lordco and got a few different crush washers and an o ring ... the oring ended up being the right size so in it went ... re bleed drove about 1-2 KM same problem. Rebleed and try again same thing but this time maybe only 500m.

Then Cam had a great Idea we disconected my fuel tank and hooked it up to a jerrycan of diesel I had in the passenger side and it worked! so I drove it home like that.

Clearly I either have some crud in my tank that I stirred up driving it around or I have busted the pickup or bent it so its trying to suck off the bottom. Going to try to figure it out over the next week!

Thanks for your help Cam! :beer:

common problem with 60's is the pickup rusting out just inside the tank, so it sucks air when the tank isn't completely full.

what's really annoying is if you have a leak in a random fuel hose, but it doesn't drip fuel, just lets in air..

Oh yeah, I had the same issues with my 81' and my old BJ70. Like seapotato said, my pickups were rusty right at the elbow on the outside of the tank.

Too bad he has a 40 underseat tank? Did you put a liner in the tank? Which side of the filter housing is your drain spout for the primer, are you getting steady stream or sputtering when you pump the primer? Got the bosch primer? get one if not. take the fuel sender out and look inside tank with light.

hey did i see andy in luxton heading for home under it's own steam this afternoon?

So I'm thinking of draining the tank and blowing air into it through the fuel line to blow anything in that little bit of line out.

If that doesn't work I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order in the CCOT fuel tank.

Pull the fuel sender and look in first. My tank was rusted through away back and then I lined it and it worked great till I had the tank welded again the line is starting to peel back so every so often a piece will block the line then i just blow into the line and start up again.

just a thought, your truck was running ok before you messed with the passenger seat a bunch, making brackets etc...

and now there's a tank issue...

them's the sort of coincidences that make me pretty suspicious...

maybe something got knocked loose inside at the time, but even a loosened fuel line would suck in a couple air bubbles and that's all it'd take.

Problem solved!

Thanks for your help Jay!

After I blew some air into the tank from the fuel line I saw something funny through the gauge hole so I got a couple of long pieces of scrap metal I had to fish it out and here is what I found:

Good news is that the inside of the tank looks great!

when I got the fuel tank off used vic it had plastic taped over all of the ports on it I guess the previous owner had also put a blue shop rag down the filler neck... that had fallen inside before I got the plastic off...
IMG00053-20110705-1904.jpg

wow!!! you pulled tupperware out of the tank!!! looks like you can pack your school lunches again i guess!?!?!?

PS: come get your stinger/font bashguard thingy or the trolls will claim it...:hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom