Well, that's new...Moved steering wheel Tilt... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
And there was a crunchy cellophane wrapper type noise from the steering column and the horn started to blow. Driving down the road pumping the steering wheel up and down trying to knock the short off whatever cross-member its making contact with, while the horn's just blaring away in morning traffic.... Oy. Finally it quite after a couple hundred feet, but felt like an eternity.
Gotta pull the clam shell and find the bad wire.
You're never bored DDing a 23 year old vehicle. ;)

So Why did I move the steering wheel, you ask...
After installing the JAG PS seat I wanted to get an idea of how much different the DS would feel, so I raised the LC seat to its highest position, which mimics the new seat's lowest position, and I had to tilt the steering wheel up a little to accommodate.

Mondays. Whatcha gonna do. Bet no one was tailgating you during the incident either. (Lotsa sarcasm in my typing).

And there was a crunchy cellophane wrapper type noise from the steering column and the horn started to blow. Driving down the road pumping the steering wheel up and down trying to knock the short off whatever cross-member its making contact with, while the horn's just blaring away in morning traffic.... Oy. Finally it quite after a couple hundred feet, but felt like an eternity.
Gotta pull the clam shell and find the bad wire.
You're never bored DDing a 23 year old vehicle. ;)

So Why did I move the steering wheel, you ask...
After installing the JAG PS seat I wanted to get an idea of how much different the DS would feel, so I raised the LC seat to its highest position, which mimics the new seat's lowest position, and I had to tilt the steering wheel up a little to accommodate.
At least it didn't happen behind a group of Hell's Angels.........

Crisis over; Found it!
See this little green wire with the piggy backed brown wire, that's the horn switch wire. When the green wire is grounded, the horn blows.
GwWdX1Dl.jpg

Well... the brown wire is a remnant of the old alarm system, when I took the alarm system out a year and change ago, brown wire (the other end) was removed , and the top half was left there. Didn't get a voltage reading off of it, so figured no big deal.
Until this morning when the end of that little brown wire grounded itself against the steering column support bracket.
lAckxpcl.jpg

So boys and germs, learn from O'l Rusty, cap the ends of all stray wires, especially when you're not sure what they do.
:doh:

Lol! I once worked on an old USMC 5 ton truck (m813) that would blow the horn as the steering wheel was rotated to 5 o'clock. turns out that there was a copper rod in the steering column that was warped and would ground out when it hit 5 o'clock.

Lol! I once worked on an old USMC 5 ton truck (m813) that would blow the horn as the steering wheel was rotated to 5 o'clock. turns out that there was a copper rod in the steering column that was warped and would ground out when it hit 5 o'clock.
:lol: Ya, had old vdub that would do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom