Well, that was fun...Bro. in laws house just burned to the ground.

flintknapper

SILVER Star
 
 
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
6,886
Location
Deep East Texas
Not the sharpest knife in the drawer!

Good news is no one got "fudged". Bad news is....it was 70% involved by the time the fire dept. got there.

The rest of the bad news (besides the loss of all belongings and a vehicle) is that my nephew left a cigarette on the wooden railing of the porch and forgot about it.

Guess what! He smelled smoke when he was sitting in the livng room and when he went to investigate the whole end of the house was ablaze.

Wonder how many times that happens a year! Gotta love those Cigs!

Maybe its just me....but was this F____ing avoidable or what?

Gotta go again, everyone needs a place to sleep tonight and some clothes.

Sheeeesh.
 

Fireman

 
 
Joined
Sep 5, 2003
Messages
5,458
Location
Iowa Park. TX
Good luck. We made a fire 2 yrs ago with about the same cause, escept the kid left it on the front porch sitting on a planter. Total loss on that house too.
 
Joined
Mar 12, 2004
Messages
688
Of course, nothing's more valuable than life itself.
Aside from that, it's the irreplaceables that really hurt. Things insurance can't replace... pictures, mementos, things of sentimental or unique value, etc.
Bad News.

.
 

flintknapper

SILVER Star
 
 
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
6,886
Location
Deep East Texas
Over with.

jwest said:
Of course, nothing's more valuable than life itself.
Aside from that, it's the irreplaceables that really hurt. Things insurance can't replace... pictures, mementos, things of sentimental or unique value, etc.
Bad News.

.

Roger that!

I couldn't believe the firefighters actually went in the house. We told them no one was in there. I could see thick black smoke billowing out the opposite side of the house with little bits of flame starting, and I knew it was about to flash over.

Sure enough, out come the firefighters... and about 30 seconds later the windows in the kitchen blew and flames started shooting out.

I talked to one of them later and he said he could feel the heat build up on his back so he ordered everyone out! None too soon either.

I told them I was pretty sure there were some .22 shells in one of the bedrooms but they said they had already gone off.

Well, no one injured....we have that to be thankful for, and I was pretty impressed with the firefighters.

I salute any of those here that respond when the rest of us have an emergency! Thanks.
 
Joined
Mar 10, 2005
Messages
53
Location
Harvard, IL USA
flintknapper said:
Good news is no one got "fudged". Bad news is....it was 70% involved by the time the fire dept. got there.
Sorry to hear that-- they must live in the country? I hate living in the city, but the one nice thing is that we're so close to the Fire Station they could run here if they wanted....

Glad to hear everyone is OK though-- these things are devastating-- Insurance pays for the house and the furnishings, but it's never the same afterwards-- prize posessions, heirlooms, memories that can never be replaced, etc...

Steve
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
4,874
Location
in the garage
what a drag

glad everyone's OK.
BUT....BUT...WHERE ARE THE PICS ;)

i once left a frying pan with oil on the stove,g-freind came by,went to eat.
driving back to the house we see fire trucks go past, i say"i hope it's not my house" :doh: :whoops: :censor: :censor: IT WAS!!!!!
and, it was a rental.
the owner was NOT happy :crybaby:
 

TJDIV

Back in The U.P.
 
 
Joined
Jan 28, 2003
Messages
2,061
Location
Upper Michigan
You know....not to start a "story telling thread hijack epidemic".....

BUT...

My brother was cooking 'soup' at my townhouse last year, and left to go on a 3 hour shopping trip. Came home and smoke was rolling out of the windows/doors, etc.

All from a burnt up chicken in a deep pot. Damn house stunk like a crematory forever!!!

And my dogs were PISSED. Seriously....
 

Jman

 
 
Joined
Feb 20, 2003
Messages
1,557
Location
If ya don't know, I ain't tellin'
Glad no one was hurt. Sucks about the other irreplaceable things, though--I'd hate to lose pics etc., but still I'd rather keep my life and the lives of my family and let the rest go.

Yeah, another reason not to smoke. Fawkin' incredible that just one little cig on a railing can do that. Buy the fawker an ashtray. :rolleyes:

Um, so, are you going to make room for them on your floor? :D









My near fire story: roommate left a "boil-in-bag" chicken dinner on the stove . . . and then went to sleep. I woke up with the apartment full of smoke, the plastic handle had melted off the pot and was bubbling on fire on the gas stove :eek: the chicken dinner looked like that little lump of evil from Time Bandits. Always the joker, I put the fire out, then woke up my roommate, saying "Your chicken is done." :rolleyes: "Oh, by the way, thanks for almost fxxxing killing both of us." :D
 

flintknapper

SILVER Star
 
 
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
6,886
Location
Deep East Texas
sixsracing said:
Sorry to hear about the fire, bet your nephew feels terrible. I hate learning life's lessons like that.

Yup, he's a wreck this morning. We went to down to look at it (total loss).
He put a cigarette in a plastic bottle that was on the porch on the railing.

The cig. wasn't all the way out. The bottle caught fire and dripped down on the porch which caught the house on fire.

They live in the country and it was too late by the time the fire trucks got there.
They just let it do a controlled burn.

Carelessness!

P.S. not that it matters but the nephew is on my wifes side.
I'll have to remind her of that later.
 
Joined
Jan 3, 2003
Messages
7,184
Location
McCall, ID
Hope it shocks him into quitting smoking. Never saw any good come out of that habit.

What a terrible lesson to have to learn.
 

NorCalDoug

problems solved daily...
 
 
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Messages
6,212
Location
uhhhh...duh...Northern CA
Damned plastic bottles! They oughtta be banned! Glass all the way! :D

Sorry to hear about that. It goes without saying that losing all possessions to a fire really blows, but thankfully no one was hurt.
 

flintknapper

SILVER Star
 
 
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
6,886
Location
Deep East Texas
NorCalDoug said:
Damned plastic bottles! They oughtta be banned! Glass all the way! :D

Sorry to hear about that. It goes without saying that losing all possessions to a fire really blows, but thankfully no one was hurt.

In keeping with the "logic of the day" .....could we not sue the company that makes the plastic bottle?

Surely they are at fault!


Yup, cigarette in a plastic bottle = Patently bad idea IMOP ..(but I'm an old fart, what do I know)!
 

flintknapper

SILVER Star
 
 
Joined
May 22, 2004
Messages
6,886
Location
Deep East Texas
Kinda funny!

I just got back from taking my youngest nephew (the one who didn't burn the house down) to the house so he could see it.

He couldn't bear to look at it last night but wanted to look through what was left for his wallet.

He's graduating tonight from high school and had about $400.00 in his wallet.
His grandmother went along with us and was of course telling us to be careful.

Well we couldn't find the wallet but when I turned over what was left of his melted mattress out falls a perfectly unharmed "Hustler magazine".

I tried to quickly kick it up under the mattress but when I did I just managed to open it up to a particularly graphic pose. Sheeeesh! Of course grandma gets a real good gander at this.

Finally, I just picked it up and said "Charlie...get rid of this".

His grandmother is a "sure enough" bible thumper and the look of horror on Charlies face was priceless.

He's a good kid...(no angel) but normal. It was one of those moments that will be really funny in about 30 yrs.
 
Top Bottom