Well.... Now what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Symtoms as of this morning--
When I press the gas pedal almost all the way to the floor as I normally have in the past ('fast' acceleration if you will) the truck acts as if its getting no fuel or is not able to burn what being dumped in it.
If I were to keep the pedal depressed, the engine would die.
If i let off the gas alot, it will pick the revs back up and continue on.

Where should I start?

I've tried to understand the Fuel Cut-Off solenoid but can't understand for some reason what it is. Mine does click as described in some of the threads.

Anyway... Thanks

are you sure fuel is being pumped into the carb in the first place? Check your float level. If it idles normally then i dont thin its the fuel cut solenoid.

Brian

mpetersrx7 said:
I agree with BlueCruiser... make sure you are getting fuel to the fuel bowl. You could have a clogged fuel filter.

What happens if you slowly depress the gas pedal down? If this works then you may have a faulty AP.

Mark

What's an AP? Accel pump?

I get this same result if I slowly press it or slam it.

Would s***ty spark plugs have anything to do with it? I got the PartsAmerica cheapies. Maybe not burning the gas completely.

Last edited:
Leaking secondary diaphram? Clogged cat?

Have you rebult your carb? It sounds like it could be a linkage issue OR a fuel pump issue. Perhaps replace the fuel filter and check the float as said above. Then go through the carb and check all the linkage. A little WD40 never hurt anything. After that I would either do it myself OR take it to a Old school carb mechanic and have them measure the pressure from you fuel pump at idle and vacuum pressure at idle and at like 2300rpm. YOu coudl have a carb leak that leans you out when you accelerate. It's tough to tell from what you've said but I'd do teheasy things first then if no change check the fuel pump. IF not the fuel pump I would be tempt3ed to just rebuild the carb. But that's me.
Good Luck

If I recall the fuel cut solenoid is only for idle so that wouldn't be an issue

Crappy plugs, cap rotor wires could maybe cause it but sounds like fuel delivery problem.............

Clogged Cat definitely a possibilty too...............

hey have any of you had clogged fuel filter lately? I have replaced one on th eFJ62 and one in my wifes Subaru in two weeks. Usually I replace them anually and the are fine? Is there extra crap in the fuel now or just bad luck?

I second the clogged cat or restricted exhaust. Also, if you have the stock exhaust manifold and the heat riser coil stopped working you could have a pretty decent size restriction right at the manifold. When it's cold, start it up and take a flashlight and watch to see if the bi-metal coil starts to contract and open the flapper, if not you'll quickly be boiling out your carb and have a real restricted exhaust.

And the fuel-cut solenoid is primarily for the idle circuit, but also is turned on/off during deceleration from higher speeds.

Typical symptoms of pending fuel pump failure, or if you have an electric pump, one that's too small for the application...lookit, it idles no problem. Gas it , it dies out. No fuel....

Yulp, I second Texx... same symtoms when my fuel pump fritzs out...good thing I was 8 miles away from a cruiser meet and just borrowed one for the day...

get a Carter brand fuel pump...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom