Well, my new TOY is here!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello CLCC,

Here is a duplicate thread from IH8MUD main FJ60 forum that I wanted to share with my new CLCC friends. Sorry I missed the BBQ, as you'll read below, I wasn't in the mood to socialize...I'm sure I would have been the "bummer" at the party. Next time. Alright, later.

Raf

--------------------------------

Hey guys,

Well, the new TOY is here and I'm sort of happy with a bit of disapointment.

If anybody plays "craps", I didn't roll a 7 or 11 on the first roll, but I didn't roll snack eyes either. I would say it was an 8, not a bad roll, but I thought I spent all this money for an 11 roll!!!!!

The Cruiser is clean, but has a couple of "issues" that were not disclosed by the seller. I guess he didn't feel it necessary to tell me about some things because it was no big deal for him.

So who's fault is it..MINE, because I'm probably the only crazy out there that would buy a vehicle sight unseen for SOOOO MUCH MONEY!!!!!

I guess there is only so much a picture can show you (I look at the pics now and kick myself because the little things I have issues with are right there)

In the grand scheme of things these issues are minor, but I feel the way I do because they were not disclosed, I almost feel cheated.

What are they:
- the FJ came with a cruise control module , Toyota dealer option(?)..well the wires are cut at the control handle.. crusie control INOP
- there is some hood locking mechanism, no key, no female end (two pieces to this thing, one connects to the engine bay and the other (the female end) to the hood. I can tell where the missing part was bolted on because the holes are present and also a mark/grove from the metal being pressed into the hood). The key hole looks like a fancy soda or vending machine key.
- there is a toggle type switch next to the antenna up/down cluster. In that available spot. Who knows what that turns on/off????
- the light doesn't come on when you open any of the doors...yes I checked to see if the lightbulb was working... works fine when you switch it to "on".
- FJ has old alarm system... wires from THAT job... snipped under the dash and in the engine bay. Looks like the system was acting up and the PO decided to cut any and all wires that didn't look stock!!! Oh brother!!!
- the little fuel door handle doesn't open the fuel door
- The window child lock button is missing, so the only window that works is the driver side (at least I hope that's the reason the windows don't work)
- Dent on the hood, that was disclosed, but refered to as "a small rock dent without paint chipping"... which equals= looks like a bar, wood or something straight and long fell on the hood. The dent is BIGGER than a small rock, unless 2 inch rocks are considered small!!!
- the chrome grill is peeling

All this from a 10 minute walk around as the auto transport guy and I squared off. I drove the truck home, parked it and walked in the house. I was a bit upset because "Everything works and is in excellent condition" as the ebay ad read, I GUESS THAT EVERYTHING doesn't really mean "EVERYTHING". At that moment, I felt like I just got ripped off. I guess on the bright side my wife really likes it.

I woke up this morning and looked out the window... IT DOES LOOK GOOD, paint has great shine, the Hummer wheels give it a good look, overall looks really sharp.

I'm just a "detail" person, if the small things weren't taken care of, how can I be assured the engine/tranny---IMPORTANT stuff was taken care of? I drove her around today... I guess it drove well... I've never owned a FJ. Feels solid.

OK thanks for allowing me to vent. Nothing a good cold :beer: can't cure!!!

Cheers

Raf

Sorry to hear about that man, but don't sweat it too much. Most of that seems like it should be pretty easy to take care of. Plus, at the end of the day you still got a Cruiser!! :cool:

Oh, and don't worry about the dent. A few months from now we'll have you fully indoctrinated. You'll have that beast sprung over on 37s, and all the body panels tweaked from the half dozen times you've put it on its side. :D

Ebay seems to be very hit and miss for vehicles. Have you inspected the truck for rust or accident damage? I would be more worried about those two things than all the little things you mention above. If the seller misrepresented the truck you need to do more than scratch the surface.

Check all the fluids. Check the frame and rear of the body, especially around the wheel wells for rust. Look for overspray and take a magnet to the body to search for bondo. Trust me, you are better off without the alarm system. Aftermarket alarm systems are usually a nightmare due to shoddy installs.

And it is just me, but the first thing I would do is sell those hummer rims and custom spacers and get new proper 6lug rims.

Sorry to hear it wasn't perfect, but the things you mentioned should be easy fixes. I personally would be really pissed about the window thing, htough. I saw the post on the other thread and it really is a beautiful 62. As long as the frame and undercarriage isn't all rusty I owuldn't sweat the small stuff. The rust free part is what really keeps the 62s pulling in the resale value!

I agree with you about the h2 wheels, I think they look good. I'm looking forward to seeing in at the next meeting! Don't let the little things bum you too much although the seller seems to have been holding bak on some things. I think every LC owner finds some little "issues" after they buy.

I found lots of major things and overpaid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom