Well looks like I an pulling the head off Monday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:rolleyes:.......valve seal.

Yes I know it come be done without doing it but with all the other hacks I fiigure I can clean them up better with the head off.

It appears that because the EGR was not hooked might be the culprit on this fresh rebuild? Thoughts(my father in laws idea)? It started off just smoking a minute or so when the nose was much higher than the rear(wheeling) then today when I did it again today it smoked much of the running time. Leak down test was doing but I knew what it was already.

:grinpimp: Props to wristy for his time

:whoops:wait till I get the bill

He wont accept bribes... I tried.

Just pay close attention. If i was doing my head again it would be done much better and in a shorter time period.

When i do it on my next 22r I wont sweat a thing.
The cardboard outline and putting bolts in the outlined holes works wonders, i wish i would have it done it the first time... BTW

I just hope I can hang the timing chain so I dont have to pull the cover again.....I just done it

Yeah. We used a c-clamp tightened down real well until we needed it. Wired it, came back the next day and the wire had broke. Fished it out nice and easy like...

Wristy could prolly give you the easiest way. I left the intake and exhaust mani's on while i pulled the head. It was much easier that way. You can make sure everything was tightened properly and evenly.

i'm trying to visualize how the presence or lack of EGR would have any effect on the valve stem seals.

granted it should be hooked up and operating, but i dont see how it would affect the condition of those seals.

that system is designed to cool the cumbustion chamber, and lower the CO emissions.

on to the way to keep the cam sprocket hung...

dont have to hang it, use a zippy tie, wrap a few of them thru the hole in the gear to the chain, an one around the chain, under the gear. make sure its taught and it will sit right on the chain guides.

So it's smoking when the front end is up? Take the valve cover off and check the rear oil return hole for blockage..... If you're thinking "Nah, couldn't be..." So did I, but it happened to me.... :cheers:

L:lol:L thats what i told em!

i'm trying to visualize how the presence or lack of EGR would have any effect on the valve stem seals.

Me too. They're not related in any way that I can think of.

:D There was some blockage but it was a piece of the valve seal
So it's smoking when the front end is up? Take the valve cover off and check the rear oil return hole for blockage..... If you're thinking "Nah, couldn't be..." So did I, but it happened to me.... :cheers:

;p;p;p
L:lol:L thats what i told em!

Oh and on the EGR his idea was pressure or something. I dont know.

:DI normally trash them:flipoff2:

intresting.

I cannot get it to smoke now...well I have not tried the hill trick yet but when I was talking to wristy yesterday it was doing it all the time which started shortly after again I put her on a hill.

another thing...last week I changed the oil...I used a Mobil oil filter.... right away I had a drop in oil presuure at idle and low speeds. Today I put the Fram filter BACK on it and the oil pressure shot up amost 15 psi where it was before..hot at idle almost 50. Normal 60 idle when cold and 60 psi when hot running. WTF? I will go out and try the hill trick and see what happends ..be back in a bit. I really hate to pull this head....it runs 180 all the time..that is damn good.

wow NO MATTER HOW STEEP..... no smoke. Ok Jared you said it happened to you once...explain this logic how can it smoke if there is no valve seal or ring leak. So much top oil pressure the oil HAS to go somewhere?...yes you said the oil return got plugged up such as mine did. Well mine just got covered not plugged. I did remember when I first got it there was a piece of the grommet of the PVC valve was broken off...maybe that was my trouble?

Mine had a 12mm bolt stuck in the rear return hole... May or may not have been my fault... That was enough to allow the oil to fill up under the valve cover and flood the valve stems when going uphill. The truck drove fine, but if I hit a steep hill, after 3-400 yards, it would start smoking like a chimney.

Are you sure it was burning oil that was making the smoke? Blue-gray? Not white?

oh no it was blue has hell.....even got inside and choked the crap out of me. All seems to be well still:)
Mine had a 12mm bolt stuck in the rear return hole... May or may not have been my fault... That was enough to allow the oil to fill up under the valve cover and flood the valve stems when going uphill. The truck drove fine, but if I hit a steep hill, after 3-400 yards, it would start smoking like a chimney.

Are you sure it was burning oil that was making the smoke? Blue-gray? Not white?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom