Well, Im back

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 74fj40, Aug 6, 2005.

1. 74fj40

74fj40

Im back from Philmont. And it was amazing, it was so beautiful. it was a great feeling just being out there, and experiencing what its really like being out in the back country. this was my first time ever going backpacking. all the other times ive only been car camping :rolleyes: as soon as i get my pictures i will post them up. The trek was a little over 50mi. unfortunautley i did not get to do the 70mi trek though (thats the one my brother did :rolleyes: ) it was a ton of fun there and i hope to get to go again :bounce2:

2. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

welcome back... i used to do heaps of back packing, but now i just throw it in the cruiser... which is a shame.

backpacking on cross country ski's is awesome too.. consider that if you get the chance

3. Pyro-boy

Pyro-boy

Media:
    Albums:
    Did you get to do any fishing? That Area is some awesome country.

Vince

4. 74fj40

74fj40

well, we stayed up until like 1:00am goin flashlight fishing. we took the flashlight and shined it on the water, the fish will stay in the area where the light is then you scoop em up with a bucket :D we cought about 7 of them one that was about 9in :eek: this was in a little creek two

5. my64fj40

my64fj40

I thought I was the only kid crazy enough to build a cruiser.
    Im 15, and building a 64.

Im guessing you went to philmont as a boy scout.

6. 74fj40

74fj40

yup, where are you located? how long have you had it? ive had mine about 5 months

7. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Awesome. That's an experience you will never forget. Did you hike Baldy? I went many moons ago.

8. 74fj40

74fj40

no, unfortunautley i didnt get to hike baldy :rolleyes: althought we did hike up to mt phillips, the 3rd highest mountain in philmont. my brother got to hike up to tooth of time, which im very jelous of

9. my64fj40

my64fj40

Ummm. lets see, about 6 months I think. Im down here in south texas, corpus christi. Kinda strange, Im a scout too, just got back from the jamboree. If I get a chance im thinking about going to philmont next summer.

You can see a few pics here, I havnt put any new pics on the site in a few months, and some of the specs arnt right.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tjsulli790/album?.dir=/cf54&urlhint=actn,del:s,1:f,0

My scoutmaster showed me a few pics of philmont, its a really nice place. Most of the pics were taken from a place called lover leap.

10. 74fj40

74fj40

i heard about the four advisors from alaska that got killed setting up the tent up very sad :rolleyes:

11. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    This year's Jamboree, however, proved disastrous.

Four adult leaders were electrocuted on the opening day when poles for the tent they were erecting struck power lines.

That tragedy was followed by days of intense heat that sickened more than 300 Scouts and visitors.

Why "rolleyes" ?

12. my64fj40

my64fj40

The story that I heard about the pole, was that there was two huge pavilon type tents and that they had hired contractors to put them up. The first tent went up allright, because the contractors did everything, but it was so hot up there, that the contractors asked for some help from the scouts. And while the scout leaders where holding the pole up they lost control and if hit an electrical line on the way down. If the pole was just moved a couple inches it would have missed the lines.

The heat was also a huge problem. We had to make a long walk the the arena, where the opening show was(Which was cancelled once we got there :mad: ) and there was a lot of stop and wait and then walking a little distance. Id say it took us a good 3 hours to get there, in the heat and humidity and no clouds or breeze at all. On the walk there about every 300 yard there was someone on the side of the road getting medical attention. It got even worse once we got to the arena field area, where there seemed like everywhere you looked someone was getting medical attention also. Dont get me wrong though, the military was doing a good job of keeping us hydrated. Free water was being passed out everywhere, along with bags of ice. Also there was firetrucks blasting everyone with water, I even saw a helicopter drop a load of water.

Now the good new, once the show was cancelled , the cold front came in which drenched us in rain and dropped the temp about 20 degrees.

It was truly a once in a liftetime chance to do this, I highly recommend it to anyone that gets the chance to go. The next one is supposed to be really good, because itll be the 100th ann. of scouting, but ill be to old to go as a scout then and hopefully in college.

13. bh4rnnr

bh4rnnr

Man, you guys are lucky. Never ended up going. Hada chance to but didnt for a reason I cant remember. I to have come to use the 4x more than hiking/backpacking. Not that it's a bad thing.... One goal of mine to make up for lack of backpacking, is to hike from the cabin(outside of Evergreen) and into Breckenridge. Will be a while though, as I have to get back in shape and some new gear. Wanna see some pics, please.......

14. my64fj40

my64fj40

15. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

My trip rocked! I can't remember the exact mileage off the top of my head, but 56 miles sounds right. We got to go out of the northern most philmont property boundry into what was called the vall-ve-dal. It was zero impact camping, to the point we all had to hike 5 feet apart to the left or right flank to keep from one path getting trampled; fluffing the grass back up after you put your tent up; crapping under rocks or digging holes only; all trash, even food had to be hiked out. It was awesome. Then when we made it back into Philmont bounds we got to hike Baldy mountain. over 12,000 feet. I still have a stone from the top of the mountain on my desk. I hiked it twice in one day just to prove something (not sure to who or what, hurt like hell the second time). Great experience all together. Really learned about yourself and your friends. I learned that me and my best friend couldn't sleep in the same tent, we slugged it out almost every night.

16. cruiserwanted

cruiserwanted

concretejungle,

that sounds almost exactly like my trip. :D did you happen to stop and get some sasparilla like the second day in the vall-ve-dal? that was the best sasparilla I have ever had..... That trip changed my life and was one of the greatest experiences of my life. If my kid wants to go no amount of money will stop it from happening. Truly priceless.....

Glad you guys had a good time. Scouting is what you make of it and it can be a very rewarding fulfilling experience.

17. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

Glad you had a good time at Philmont. I think that was the single greatest experience of my life. Definately made me "grow-up" a lot. We did 77 miles over Mt. Phillips and the Tooth of Time. I had been backpacking before, but never anything that long or strenuous. I haven't been backpacking since, got my liscense shortly thereafter, but I still drream about going on multi-week trips. Two years ago I was fantasizing about hiking the Appalachian trail or the John Muir trail in CA.

I will definately go back to Philmont if given the chance(i.e. if I have a willing son or nephew later in life).

Ary

18. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

Oh yeah, you guys see any bears or rattlers? We saw two of each. All 4 were VERY interesting experiences! ;)

19. HawkDriver

HawkDriver

Media:
    Albums:
    I think it was more of a shrug or disappointed roll eyes. As opposed to a woo hoo big deal roll eyes. ;)

Did you say you trekked over 50 miles :eek: Was that all on foot? That's crazy, man that would be awesome. Does the flashlight fishing thing really work or are you kiddin?

20. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Funny thing about the jamboree is that is almost ALWAYS Friggin hot and humid at jamboree time at AP Hill. It was only hour or so from home. One of the last times I was there probably 10 years ago it was the same Heat and humidity and it always seemed to be the boys from overseas and out west that get sick or can't handle it. The tent thing while tragic I can't understand setting up that close to a power line.

ANyway sounds you enjoyed it 64 and max

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.