Well I gone and done it: 2018 Premium (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did some snow wheeling over the weekend. As usual, I was bad at taking pictures, but hopefully I get more from others that were along, but this is the only one I have so far.

The GX did well, despite a layer of ice under the snow, I didn't have to get winched up a hill, unlike many others in our group, even though the rear locker is still not hooked up.
View attachment 3240890
Do you have the CC and MT on your rig?
Love "snow wheeling". All the fun of mud without the muck and clean up later.

Do you have the CC and MT on your rig?
Love "snow wheeling". All the fun of mud without the muck and clean up later.
Yes I added CC and MTS. Never tried the CC yet, I would rather try to drive a situation manually first. Guess I should make sure it works! Anyway I spent the day with MTS in "mud and sand", which seems to work really well in the snow.

You're right about clean up, although my rig needed a wash even before the wheeling.

Reactions: r2m
How’s the JW spare mount holding up? Did you end up adding the hinge spacers? I currently have my spare ratchet strapped in the trunk, lol

How’s the JW spare mount holding up? Did you end up adding the hinge spacers? I currently have my spare ratchet strapped in the trunk, lol
So far so good. I looked at it yesterday while I was getting gas and didn't see any signs of rust. Door hinges seem fine. I should note that the bottom door edge "skid" that comes with the kit is resting on the Coastal bumper, instead the plate that came with the JWO kit, so the door is well supported when closed.

Just got back from the Utah trip. We stayed in Blanding, in the southeast corner of the state. We usually go to Moab but wanted to escape the crowds and prices of Moab for a change.

I enjoyed exploring new, unknown-to-me trails, and found a couple that I would love to go back to: Hotel Rock and Arch Canyon.

Hotel Rock starts off with several miles of rock crawling up, down and around sandstone ridges that were steep and intimidating enough to newbies that several in our group turned around. None of them were truly scary or even damaging, but it was relentless at first and if you are not familiar with the amazing traction of sandstone, pretty scary. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of this section as I was leading the group.

Once you crest the ridge it turns into two-track that passes by Hotel Rock, which features cliff dwellings:
IMG_1358.jpeg

IMG_1359.jpeg

IMG_1364.jpeg

If you continue north, the trail climbs Elk Ridge and has some fabulous overlooks. This is actually looking down at Hotel Rock, and just beyond, Arch Canyon:
IMG_1366.jpeg

Arch Canyon was entirely different from Hotel Rock. It winds up the canyon, mostly on sand track, but features roughly 60 water crossings, as well as cliff dwellings and interesting rock formations.
IMG_1378.jpeg

IMG_1377.jpeg

IMG_1380.jpeg

None of the fords were too deep this time of year, though may have been earlier in the springs. However, if you deviated from the crossings it was possible to find a hole:
IMG_1408.JPG

We did another trail a YouTuber called Dino Bone to Recapture, a collection of little used tracks east of Blanding. Some of the sections were good fun, but several other sections were so washed out and gullied that they were impassible by anything but much bigger builds than ours.
IMG_5161.jpeg

Another trail called Montezuma Creek was mostly easy driving but featured lots of petroglyphs. We also stopped by Hovenweep National Monument to look at the cliff dwellings.
IMG_1302.jpeg

IMG_1301.jpeg

IMG_1314.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

We did a run to Elephant Hill in Canyonlands NP. I have done this trail many times as it is my favorite out there. We had my friend Jason and his 18 year old son Will on. his first real wheeling trip. He was thrilled and amazed at what little stock Tacoma could do.
IMG_1328.jpeg

IMG_1325.jpeg

IMG_1329.jpeg

IMG_1330.jpeg

On the way to Utah, I test-drove and INEOS Grenadier at an off road park near Colorado Springs.
IMG_1296.jpeg

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

I like it a lot, it reminds me of an updated version of my old Isuzu Trooper, or a LR Defender. It is purpose built for off road use, with solid axles front and rear. I doubt I will ditch the GX for it, but you never know...

Wow that looks amazing. How was the weather?

That looks like a hell of a trip!

Noticed a VehiCROSS in the group... then noticed there were five!?
This group started as an Isuzu rally in Moab 25 years ago. I drove Troopers for 15 years before moving to an FJ Cruiser and then the GX. Look up the Isuzu Trader group on Facebook if interested.

Wow that looks amazing. How was the weather?
Pretty good, mostly dry and in the 60s during the day, a little cool or even cold at night. We'll probably move it back into May as we used to do. Most of us want warm weather after a long winter.

Great pictures! I think the Grenadier is super cool but it needs more time in the real world before I would trust it to replace a GX. If I were rich enough to be looking at resto-modded Defenders and Broncos and such, I would have the INEOS high on the list as an alternative though.

This group started as an Isuzu rally in Moab 25 years ago. I drove Troopers for 15 years before moving to an FJ Cruiser and then the GX. Look up the Isuzu Trader group on Facebook if interested.
Don't tempt me with a good time... I'm craving another VX in my life. Just joined the group, fun fact is that the VehiCROSS that's the group's cover photo was on the same run that my podcast co-host was on.

Looks like great times, great memories! :cheers:

Great pictures! I think the Grenadier is super cool but it needs more time in the real world before I would trust it to replace a GX. If I were rich enough to be looking at resto-modded Defenders and Broncos and such, I would have the INEOS high on the list as an alternative though.
Yeah, I'm not sure I would be willing to have the Grenadier as my only vehicle, as the GX is now for me. They have selected proven drivetrain components, and used relatively l little electronic/computerized gadgetry, both of which should increase reliability, but still...

Pretty good, mostly dry and in the 60s during the day, a little cool or even cold at night. We'll probably move it back into May as we used to do. Most of us want warm weather after a long winter.
Sounds almost perfect. If the wind was light it would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom