Well I gone and done it: 2018 Premium (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like a fun trip to Moab, even with the hang ups. I guess I hadn't read through your build lately. I'm also going to mount a Smittybilt 2781 compressor on a Powertrays LoPro (in a few months when the LoPros are back in stock). Anything to note about the install, or is it as straightforward as I hope? Also, do you have a pic of the USB ports you mounted in the switch blank?

Sounds like a fun trip to Moab, even with the hang ups. I guess I hadn't read through your build lately. I'm also going to mount a Smittybilt 2781 compressor on a Powertrays LoPro (in a few months when the LoPros are back in stock). Anything to note about the install, or is it as straightforward as I hope? Also, do you have a pic of the USB ports you mounted in the switch blank?
It helps to have a second set of hands to get the lower bolts started for the LoPro, other than that install of the tray is straightforward. For the compressor you need to trim the foot bracket some to fit it on the side of the compressor, at the motor end. You also need to flip it around so the feet are inboard to fit on the tray. I used wide blue tape stretched across the foot brackets of the compressor to create a template that I transferred to the tray to drill the holes, worked very well and saved a lot of tedious measuring etc. Make sure you allow room for the hood strut along the fender wall.

That compressor moves a lot of air, I was constantly overshooting my target pressure when airing up in Moab.

Reactions: r2m
This is the USB outlet I installed
Amazon product ASIN B07FD2Z6GFI installed it in the blank above the center diff lock switch, so it would be closest to the center console. I ran my navigation tablet and my phone off of it in Moab. (If you have a luxury trim model you might not have a blank there,)
I was a little worried I would be annoyed by the orange and blue lights on the outlet, but I have found they don't bother me.

It helps to have a second set of hands to get the lower bolts started for the LoPro, other than that install of the tray is straightforward. For the compressor you need to trim the foot bracket some to fit it on the side of the compressor, at the motor end. You also need to flip it around so the feet are inboard to fit on the tray. I used wide blue tape stretched across the foot brackets of the compressor to create a template that I transferred to the tray to drill the holes, worked very well and saved a lot of tedious measuring etc. Make sure you allow room for the hood strut along the fender wall.

That compressor moves a lot of air, I was constantly overshooting my target pressure when airing up in Moab.
I already rotated the brackets, added a pressure switch and a standard air coupler. I'm just patiently waiting for the LoPro. 🥱 Good call on the blue tape. That'll save some time.

I made a 4 tire hose set up for it and I'm pretty surprised how fast it airs up/down my small tires. 265/60 18 - 1:50 36psi to 18psi and 3:40 18psi to 36psi.

This is the USB outlet I installed
Amazon product ASIN B07FD2Z6GFI installed it in the blank above the center diff lock switch, so it would be closest to the center console. I ran my navigation tablet and my phone off of it in Moab. (If you have a luxury trim model you might not have a blank there,)
I was a little worried I would be annoyed by the orange and blue lights on the outlet, but I have found they don't bother me.
I hadn't come across those before. That blank is available for me too. This is an interesting option for the second row...if the switch housings are also available. I want to add USB in the second row, but I'm not a huge fan of the rubber covered, round outlets.

I hadn't come across those before. That blank is available for me too.
I would have preferred to move the center diff lock switch to the upper hole so I wasn't reaching through the USB cords, but found that the factory switch body is "keyed" to fit in only that location it is in. Oh well.

In anticipation of regearing and 35s etc., I installed a JW Offroad spare tire carrier. As usual it didn’t occur to me to take pictures during the project, so here is a quick snapshot of the 265/70/17 on the mount. Install went pretty well, just had a couple of SNAFUs with the wiring for the backup camera and license plate light. I don’t think the license plate mount is quite as well thought out as the rest of the kit.
929DD48D-BD34-4874-8840-F63A4C7F1F57.jpeg

In anticipation of regearing and 35s etc., I installed a JW Offroad spare tire carrier. As usual it didn’t occur to me to take pictures during the project, so here is a quick snapshot of the 265/70/17 on the mount. Install went pretty well, just had a couple of SNAFUs with the wiring for the backup camera and license plate light. I don’t think the license plate mount is quite as well thought out as the rest of the kit.
View attachment 3046021
Got a pic without the wheel mounted?

I don’t think the license plate mount is quite as well thought out as the rest of the kit.
As long as it keeps you from getting pulled over... 👍

View attachment 3046021
Glad to hear you like it seeing as I have my JW carrier sitting in a box in my garage awaiting install. Any issues other than the backup camera extension wiring?

View attachment 3046021

IMO, that size tire you have mounted on the back is the holy grail of perfection for sizing on the GX or any off road rig short of a rock crawler. With a modest lift, sizing up to a 31.5" or 32" will get you anywhere you need to go. Add in weight that is equal or not much more than stock, no need to re-gear (only 2.5mph at 70mph), only slight drop in fuel economy and lower center of gravity.

If you have not purchased the big tire set please consider these. With the rear carrier you are already ahead of the game for ground clearance. Spend the money on a nice set of skid plates.

I agree with OllieChristopher on spending any extra $$ on armor, skid plates and rock rails.
With all due respect, though, I do prefer a larger diameter tire, basically the largest I can stuff in the wheel, which right now for me is a 315/70R17 which is a wee bit larger than I really want (along with a little rubbing), but late last year, it was IMPOSSIBLE to find tires, especially the tire size I had, 285/75R17. That was a perfect size for all around mileage, rough trails, no rubbing AT ALL.
I'm thinking now that the supply chain for tires is loosening up, maybe selling what I have on now and getting the size I really want! :hmm:

Right now it's the 37's and 40's that are difficult to get. I almost went with the 285's on my truck but after 270's tires get super heavy. 50 - 75lbs heavier for a set of all terrain. After having to add negative offset to clear I deemed it a no go to prevent big repair bills down the road.

It was bad enough that I went with some E rated Falcon Wildpeaks. I ended up with replacing tie rod ends and both hub bearings before I even wore out that set of heavy rubber. I have learned my lessons the hard way with mounting large and heavy rubber.

That being said I'm an oddity in the world of off roading. My rides are all about function and reliability over looks. There are very few places that I can't take my truck with the 265/70/17 Michelin Defenders. Anything more and I would get an off road specific ride and trailer it to the trailhead.

IMO, that size tire you have mounted on the back is the holy grail of perfection for sizing on the GX or any off road rig short of a rock crawler. With a modest lift, sizing up to a 31.5" or 32" will get you anywhere you need to go. Add in weight that is equal or not much more than stock, no need to re-gear (only 2.5mph at 70mph), only slight drop in fuel economy and lower center of gravity.

^ This. I love my 265/70/17’s, such phenomenal on and off pavement performance.

Glad to hear you like it seeing as I have my JW carrier sitting in a box in my garage awaiting install. Any issues other than the backup camera extension wiring?
Not really, their youtube install video is pretty good. The one lower bolt is difficult to reach inside the door, but we eventually figured out how to get a hand in there.

If you have not purchased the big tire set please consider these. With the rear carrier you are already ahead of the game for ground clearance. Spend the money on a nice set of skid plates.
Yeah, this is more about wants than needs. :D

Got a set of Nitto Recon Grapplers 35x12.5x17 waiting at Discount. :cool: Probably won't get them on until August though, the way things are going. Looks like it won't happen before my trip to the McGruder Corridor which will shoot most of July.

I have been seriously remiss in updating this thread, so I will try to catch up.

In July I installed a Coastal Offroad rear bumper. This is a weld-together kit that a buddy welded for me. He said it was a pleasure to put together. It bolts up tight to the frame rails and cross member, so I doubt you can get any better departure angle than this. We also integrated the hitch and trailer wiring connector into the bumper to maximize clearance.

The only negative was the provision for parking sensors, it was set up for 2010-13 sensors, not my 2018s which are smaller. I’ve never used them anyway.

79FE909F-B5A5-4BDE-BF9A-058B1DD3975A.jpeg

B3F2103D-6A6E-409C-B0C7-EDDC83F8DFD5.jpeg

The only negative was the provision for parking sensors, it was set up for 2010-13 sensors, not my 2018s which are smaller. I’ve never used them anyway.
If you ever want to use your sensors you could use plastic plugs to fit the sensor hole and drill out to fit your sensor. Here are some examples from McMaster-Carr:
Or if you have or know some one who has a 3d printer, they can make an adapter.
Just some options if you ever want to put them back in.

In late August I installed a Victory Strike aluminum front bumper. We were able to fit a HF Apex winch with only some trimming of the center support in front of the radiator, and didn’t have to move the control box. Overall I’m very happy with how tucked away this bumper is.

Install is a futzy process, in part because of the winch fitment, and lots of trimming and test fitting the body panels above the bumper. Took a looong day for install with two guys.

As with the rear bumper, the parking sensors didn’t fit right and I didn’t bother mounting them in the provided holes. Apparently the parking sensors were changed several times throughout the 460’s lifespan.

AAC2F4AA-610F-4230-B63E-EFAE35B663A5.jpeg

A2099CB8-0E4E-4500-B002-8C8FD1F282BB.jpeg

Love the idea of an aluminum bumper. I'm all for weight reduction. (My rig, not me... although I need it. :hmm: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom