Well I gone and done it: 2018 Premium (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man.. no photos?!
Yeah, I'm real bad at photo-documenting my work. I just don't even think of it, sorry. But there are some yootoob videos on it out there.

Despite 99 degree heat, I finished installing my Ironman Foam Cell Pro suspension. I swear, these components weigh at least twice as much as the stock items. FIrst impression is the ride is quite good, a little firmer than stock but to be expected given the greater load capacity. Highly recommend the Ironman install video, very well done.

Next up, tires or sliders, depending on how things shake out.
FC030E3F-7571-45E9-AEC9-1F0033CA5C2A.jpeg

Last edited:
An update on the Magnaflow Overlander exhaust cat-back - I took the first road trip on the GX, 200 miles to the lake cabin and back.

The exhaust has a bit of a noise peak at around 1800-2000 rpm. If you are cruising at that rpm it is a little louder. In my case with stock tires it was louder at 75 mph, but it wasn't obnoxious or annoying. At 65 mph and 1600 rpm it was very quiet.
An odd thing happened. I had to adjust the exhaust because it was clunking on the underside when the pipe got hot and expanded. The adjustment was a slight change to the angle of the pipe that crosses over the axle. The thing is, now that I have adjusted it, the 1800-2000 resonance peak seems to have diminished quite a bit and it has a smooth tone throughout the rpm band. Weird that a small adjustment could affect it that much, but either way I like it more than ever.

Today I installed the Kaon rear door drop table. Easy install, seems like a quality product.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta love easy projects that yield a lot of value!

Yeah, I really enjoyed having a tailgate table on a previous rig, so I am happy to have one again.

Okay, I hate navigating forums on my little phone, but I figured it out and dropped in some photos for ya.

Just got back from Wyoming. My buddy Dave built sliders for the GX.
A6844CD0-AE3E-4C83-A006-95EA6B8B4577.jpeg

While he was hard at work, I trimmed the front fascia and running boards. Here we are getting ready to head to the mountains. Dave has the 470.
234C5EA4-CC3D-466B-A106-A8C6DD666F90.jpeg

Just got back from Wyoming. My buddy Dave built sliders for the GX.
View attachment 2713171
While he was hard at work, I trimmed the front fascia and running boards. Here we are getting ready to head to the mountains. Dave has the 470.
View attachment 2713173
We camped at 9,700 feet in the Wind River Range.
153CE6DF-F98E-48FE-8125-6B094C1899B1.jpeg

Everything was wonderful except for clouds of mosquitoes. My copilot Daisy got to chase pronghorn antelope a couple of times.
A05C35DE-13BC-4969-8195-3DD55DE07CC0.jpeg

First day we did the trail to Moon Lake, which turned out to be a lot more difficult than expected. But even with street tires the GX did great. I forgot to take pics of the tough part, but here is one.
676AAFFF-A7A0-4729-A48E-C4E7F0355F03.jpeg

Recently got 265/70/17 BFG ATs on FJ Cruiser 8-hole wheels. They’re really quiet!
F3FFDC98-AAF9-430E-9478-D6D2E97ABCA0.jpeg

And an added bonus, my speedometer is now right on, according to my phone’s speedometer app.

Recently got 265/70/17 BFG ATs on FJ Cruiser 8-hole wheels. They’re really quiet! View attachment 2750642
And an added bonus, my speedometer is now right on, according to my phone’s speedometer app.
I like your sliders! Do they extend out as much as they look in that photo? Who's are they?

I like your sliders! Do they extend out as much as they look in that photo? Who's are they?
Sorry I missed your question! The sliders are intentionally outboard enough to serve as a step for cab entry, and also to stand on and reach stuff on the roof. And, of course, their primary function as sliders, hopefully will keep rocks and trees away from the body.

They were built by my buddy Dave in Wyoming. There are some slider build pics earlier in the thread.

Pictures soon?

Latest project is interior wiring installed an auxiliary fuse panel in the back cubby. Initially was looking to install under the dashboard, but didn’t like any of the locations that were even feasible. I’m liking this location a lot the more I look at it.

Still need to get fuses in line at the battery, and then start adding outlets and such.
B7199F51-0214-44D2-AC1A-DC39F04FFECC.jpeg

Whaddya mean, looking for close ups of the sliders?
Keep us posted with pictures. Did you use a in line kit to power the new fuse box or did you splice it in ?

I am terrible at taking pictures as I am working, but I'll do what I can.

The panel will be fed direct from the battery with in line fuses, and 8-gauge mains (well, sort of, CCA 8-gauge performs more like 10 gauge AWG, but for my anticipated loads it should be plenty).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom