Well I gone and done it: 2018 Premium (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now officially joining the party, just exchanged a wheelbarrow of cash for a 2018 GX Premium. Definitely the fanciest, and most costly vehicle I have ever purchased, even if it was $25k less than a new one. But hey, this should be the last vehicle I need to buy for a long time. It can do everything I need including off road and towing a camper.

But as you all know, the bleeding doesn't stop there. I have a few things in mind off the bat:

* MTS/CC mod. Not sure if I really need it since I am an experience off road driver, but what the hell.

* One of the joys of owning a V8 is the noise, and the stock system isn't going to cut it, not to mention that vulnerable tailpipe. The Magnaflow 19544 cat-back system looks perfect to cure both of those concerns.

* Third row delete. Have zero need for a third row. (Is Goose Gear the only choice here?)

* Trailer hitch

Will figure out lift and tires etc. later on. I still have the FJ for serious wheeling at the moment, but will transition over eventually.

Last edited:
Fancy rig to wheel with. If my 460 were to see mud, it will be a dirt road.

Well, I should clarify I don't intend to do "serious" wheeling with the GX, but definitely overlanding-type stuff.

Welcome to the money pit 💸!! Where you will find solace and comfort among your fellow builders every inch of the way.
:cheers:

I also picked up a set of 5 eight-hole FJC 17x7.5 wheels for cheap on marketplace. Always like those wheels for some reason. So the plan is to get 265/70R17s... eventually.

Last edited:
Magnaflow cat back system has arrived... with any luck it will go on this weekend. For some reason I am really excited about a little more V8 rumble.

Magnaflow cat back system has arrived... with any luck it will go on this weekend. For some reason I am really excited about a little more V8 rumble.
Soak your stock system’s bolts with penetrating oil once or twice...even if no rust, the heat from the exhaust can make removing these bolts problematic.
Most muffler shops just cut them off with a torch.
I ended up having a muffler shop put my cat-back system on, after I started rounding an exhaust bolt even with a 6-point socket. Cost me $65...money well spent IMO

Soak your stock system’s bolts with penetrating oil once or twice...even if no rust, the heat from the exhaust can make removing these bolts problematic.
Most muffler shops just cut them off with a torch.
I ended up having a muffler shop put my cat-back system on, after I started rounding an exhaust bolt even with a 6-point socket. Cost me $65...money well spent IMO
Yeah, for sure. I'd like to save the stock system if I can, but will have the sawzall ready if needed. This was a Florida truck, so it isn't rusty but we'll see.

I also picked up a set of 5 eight-hole FJC 17x7.5 wheels for cheap on marketplace. Always like those wheels for some reason. So the plan is to get 265/70R17s... eventually.
That's the set up I'm running. They fit perfect and look good in my opinion.

That's the set up I'm running. They fit perfect and look good in my opinion.
And presumably they fit in the spare tire location? I've heard conflicting reports on that.

[edit] Nevermind, I found your post about putting them on your rig and you answer me right there!

Last edited:
And presumably they fit in the spare tire location? I've heard conflicting reports on that.

[edit] Nevermind, I found your post about putting them on your rig and you answer me right there!
Seems like it depends on the truck. I was waiting on my 5th wheel before getting the spare but I test fit an unmounted new bfg ko2 and it fit fine. Planning on picking up my last tire shortly now that I have my 5th wheel.

Installed the Magnaflow Overlanding cat-back exhaust today. I really like it - now I can tell there is a V8 under the hood. Plus the added clearance at the tailpipe.

Installed the Magnaflow Overlanding cat-back exhaust today. I really like it - now I can tell there is a V8 under the hood. Plus the added clearance at the tailpipe.

Any drone?

After wheeling some older stuff, then a 100, then an early 200 I can say crawl control is actually pretty impressive. It's not better than a locker (or two) but well worth what the retrofit costs.

For third row delete, it seems like it's either Goose Gear or DIY. Luckily, the DIY option looks fairly easy. I've seen a handful of end results and a couple posts with measurements. This is probably the route I'll go, should be a fraction of the price of buying a finished product.

After wheeling some older stuff, then a 100, then an early 200 I can say crawl control is actually pretty impressive. It's not better than a locker (or two) but well worth what the retrofit costs.

For third row delete, it seems like it's either Goose Gear or DIY. Luckily, the DIY option looks fairly easy. I've seen a handful of end results and a couple posts with measurements. This is probably the route I'll go, should be a fraction of the price of buying a finished product.
Bring it on and let's see it!

Installed the OEM trailer hitch today while dreaming of warmer weather. While I'm not thrilled with all that metal hanging down low under there, if nothing else it will protect the tail fairly well from dragging off of ledges and such.

Any drone?
An update on the Magnaflow Overlander exhaust cat-back - I took the first road trip on the GX, 200 miles to the lake cabin and back.

The exhaust has a bit of a noise peak at around 1800-2000 rpm. If you are cruising at that rpm it is a little louder. In my case with stock tires it was louder at 75 mph, but it wasn't obnoxious or annoying. At 65 mph and 1600 rpm it was very quiet.

I got 18.9 mpg even with a motorcycle on a hitch carrier on back. I

also noticed that my speedometer reads about 2 mph high at highway speeds. I drove by one of those flashing "you are going this fast" signs and it seemed off, so I downloaded a speedometer app and verified. In a way that is a good thing, when I switch to 265/75r17s it should actually be pretty close.

Did the third row delete today. Found all manner of kiddy detritus under those seats... and 85 cents! Had to take soap and water to clean up all the spillage before installing sound deadening material.

For some reason, the side panels were not in the Goose Gear box, so that will have to come later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom