Well deserved thanks.` (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To all of you who take the time to post up the info that the rest of us use. I just went through the initiation of the knuckle rebuild. Actually only the driver's side today. I'll finish the other side in the morning.

Without the information and write ups on this forum, I would have let this easy (messy) fix kill the beast. I even got inspired and painted the knuckle housing and the steering arm before reinstalling them.

Again, thank you to all of you who take the time to help the rest of use with your knowledge.
:cheers:

lets see some pictures of the newly added bling!

Finally some pics. I didn't take too many since this repair has been well documented. Just some starting point shots and some finished shots with a couple in between.
Just starting...
knuckle rebuild 002.jpg
old gooyness inside
knuckle rebuild 004.jpg
new gooyness inside
knuckle rebuild 008.jpg
knuckle rebuild 002.jpg
knuckle rebuild 004.jpg
knuckle rebuild 008.jpg

Almost done. New rotor. New studs.
knuckle rebuild 021.jpg

Here you can see some dents left from some previous work from a previous owner. Nothing major.
knuckle rebuild 003.jpg

Overall, the biggest PITA was seating the new studs. A BFH didn't really do the job. An impact wrench didn't do it. Finally had to press them all in. All in all it's really a :banana: to :banana::banana: job. Messy. The DVD helped the most.

Like I said before, thanks to everyone on this forum for the help.
knuckle rebuild 021.jpg
knuckle rebuild 003.jpg

To all of you who take the time to post up the info that the rest of us use. I just went through the initiation of the knuckle rebuild. Actually only the driver's side today. I'll finish the other side in the morning.

Without the information and write ups on this forum, I would have let this easy (messy) fix kill the beast. I even got inspired and painted the knuckle housing and the steering arm before reinstalling them.

Again, thank you to all of you who take the time to help the rest of use with your knowledge.
:cheers:

X2.....same with my knuckle rebuild!!
Mud Rocks!

You used the wrong grease. It will work just fine because it is part time 4wd but it should be Moly

why so much grease in the bell?
I hadn't slid the birf all the way in yet, so it just looks like it's packed. Once I popped it all the way in, it was only about 1/2 full.

Wrong grease?!? Crap. Should I go back in and clean all this stuff out and put something else in there?

Some one beat me to it, yeah, wrong grease... Moly grease is like graphite gray color, you'll be okay though unless you use 4x4 all day long every day.

Don't worry too much,

I have red grease on one side and Grey on the other!!!!:eek::rolleyes:

Plus when you decide to get different gears or throw in a locker you'll be right back in there!

DVD?

DVD Huh, x2

Dormen studs? DVD X3?

preping for the work myself....have one broken stud and one crapped locknut (end popped off from gorilla at the shop)....thinkin' about the 4runner calilpers.

The dvd is from a member (elmariachi I think). It shows the complete rebuild of a knuckle on an 80 I think. It has the narration explaining everything too. Great tool.

I read a couple of threads on here arguing about OEM studs vs. NAPA studs. I went with NAPA. They had two different lengths of studs in the computer. It's the longer one.

Some one beat me to it, yeah, wrong grease... Moly grease is like graphite gray color, you'll be okay though unless you use 4x4 all day long every day.

Are you sure that stuff only comes in grey? When Kevin Rowland rebuilt his front most recently, he used red moly, or I believe that it was moly. Either way, I am completely confident that he used the right stuff and it was definitely red, or red-ish pink.

What kind of press did you use? How did you press them in?

I have always used and air hammer with a 3/8 flat punch bit always worked well. seats them every time.

ducks- It was just a big press in the shop. Rotate the handle, the press goes down.

As to the grease question: it is Penzoil Premium Wheel Bearing Grease 707L Red Grease. By the number of people who immediately noticed my noob mistake, I'm sure it's not the right stuff, but I think I'll leave it for now. I will put the right stuff in the passenger side this weekend when I do it.

As to time, I'm probably not a good gauge of the time required. My wife was in Hawaii all weekend and it was me and the 5 y.o. monster all weekend. So I tackled it on and off Saturday and Sunday. But after doing this one side, I would guess that I'll finish the passenger side in an easy afternoon this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom