Welding part at my house in Dunwoody? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jesus888

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for someone to help out with a bit of cutting/welding... long story short, I bought another FJ40, got scared outta my pants when I first drove it, found the steering shaft was waaaay sketchy, realized it had an FJ60 steering box, and purchased an FJ60 steering shaft and column to do what is in post #18 of my build thread: Builds: Project “Where to even begin...”

Now I have the parts, and am looking for someone with a portable welder that can help cut the FJ40 upper shaft and the FJ60 intermediate shaft and weld them together so I can put some miles on this girl and figure out WHAT ELSE "needs improvement"

I'd prefer not to pull the FJ40 column, so if there's someone local that could use a few beers and some cash to wash it down, I'd love some recommendations for help. What I'd really like is someone that knows a thing or 2 about FJ40s that I could also bounce some ideas off of...

I believe it is considered safer to cut the shafts and use a collar to connect them. I remember buying my parts from a steering componant company 20 years ago ..
You may have to grind a flat in a side for the set screw and for it to bind.

Obviously its your choice..just my 2cents..

Im not at my land cruiser or repository for info. I prob got the company name from here when i added a saginaw gear box to my fj40.
Maybe search or look on the tech/link page for conversion info. Iirc the shafts are diff diameters and this company would have the appropriate parts.

Nevermind, I see them... or at least I see the opportunity to use a universal joint instead of welding... anyone know of a local place I can go get one this weekend?

There are companies that sell racing steering parts or you could get really close with a piece of tubing from someplace like Aircraft Spruce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom