Welding near a gas tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How close to a gas tank can you safely weld without having to drain and remove it? Suppose I wanted to repair the rear quarter panels, with the fuel filler coming about 6" to 12" away. Is that close enough that I should be concerned about it? Is it enough of a concern to run a purge hose inside the tank while welding? Any other precautions I should take?

Oh yeah, this would be light gauge body welding, so the surrounding area shouldn't be getting excessively hot.

Thanks

I have ofton wondered the same thing. I would make shure no sparks could get down the filler nozzel, thats for shure. Ventelate any fumes away from your working area would be some good insurance.

As long as you dont have leaks or a vapor issue should not be a problem.
I would make sure the area was WELL ventilated to be safe.
It also might be a good idea if there is any rubber tubing to protect it.

DISCLAIMER : welding on any vehicle with fuel is plain stupid and not recommended.

fill the tank.....with gas, as it's the vapors that you reallly need to worry about.
then just duct tape over any open vacuum, filler or return lines that you have disconnected.

DISCLAIMER : welding on any vehicle with fuel is plain stupid and not recommended.

Bull,
Fill the tank up and go to town..

Welding the sheet metal around the tank is a non issue. Welding blanket or just a blanket that has been soaked in water are good ideas tho..

And, just in case, keep a fire extinguisher nearby..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom