welding help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anybody in or around phoenix have a portable welder and the desire to help out a fellow cruiserhead? i have my motor mounts all mocked up and clamped in place, but they need to be welded in. also, i have a cracked radiator mount that needs a quick repair. dont know much about welding, but cant imagine it is more than about a 30-minute job all total.

beer would of course be supplied (preferrably *after* the welds were made), and i would gladly pay a shop rate to make it worth your while. i am in a bit of a bind since i cant drive the thing anywhere, so any help is much appreciated.

(or if anybody has any experience or can recommend somebody that they have dealt with before, that would be cool too.)

thanks guys.

RE: welding help

no 220 in the garage (yet - got too far into the cruiser teardown/buildup to run new electricity to the garage or even build any workbenches before it was too late) - but i do have 220 at the house for the dryer so i could run a long 220 extension cord out there. how ghetto is that? also, i have been bitten before by mismatching 220 outlet prong configurations, so i guess i would need to know what the prongs were like, huh?

mattcrandle said:
anybody in or around phoenix have a portable welder and the desire to help out a fellow cruiserhead? i have my motor mounts all mocked up and clamped in place, but they need to be welded in. also, i have a cracked radiator mount that needs a quick repair. dont know much about welding, but cant imagine it is more than about a 30-minute job all total.

beer would of course be supplied (preferrably *after* the welds were made), and i would gladly pay a shop rate to make it worth your while. i am in a bit of a bind since i cant drive the thing anywhere, so any help is much appreciated.

(or if anybody has any experience or can recommend somebody that they have dealt with before, that would be cool too.)

thanks guys.

I've still got my Lincoln 110 powered carry around unit. No gas, flux core wire if you don't mind a little spatter. What side of the valley are you on?

i am near downtown phoenix (7th street and mcdowell are the closest cross streets).

a 110 welder would be easier than running a 220 extension cord. will a 110 welder get hot enough to make a good weld on motor mounts? i know almost nothing about welding, but it seems to me that someone once told me that 110 was better suited for body panels and such and you needed 220 to really get a good deep weld.

but that was a long time ago and i am not even sure i am remembering it correctly. if you are a welder and you say it will work, then i am cool with it.

mattcrandle said:
i am near downtown phoenix (7th street and mcdowell are the closest cross streets).

a 110 welder would be easier than running a 220 extension cord. will a 110 welder get hot enough to make a good weld on motor mounts? i know almost nothing about welding, but it seems to me that someone once told me that 110 was better suited for body panels and such and you needed 220 to really get a good deep weld.

but that was a long time ago and i am not even sure i am remembering it correctly. if you are a welder and you say it will work, then i am cool with it.

It can do the job. Yes more heat is better but the smaller unit can do up 1/4", it just takes longer. I've welded plenty of stuff to my Cruiser with it, including motor mounts. So far I've only broken one weld from it on the Cruiser. That was an extreme situation though. Involving a steep dune, high speed, soft springs and a weak bracket.:doh: I even had to use it to repair a crap weld on an Advance Adapter motor mount.

I may be able to find my way downtown during the week later in the evening. Otherwise the weekend sometime. What's your timeframe to do this?

my timeframe is when ever you can do it :)

it is all clamped and ready to be welded, so any time is fine. i am around any time, day or night, weekday or weekend. since you are helping me out, just let me know when is convenient for you and i will be sure to be around.

thanks so much for the help!

WES1977 said:
my welder will weld up to 1/4" on a 110. Lincoln weld pak 100 http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...es&vertical=SEARS&pid=00920174000&tab=spe#tab

My neighbor just bought a lincoln on 110 that will do 5/16" I think it was a 3200 hd.

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e7351.pdf

thanks for the info on the welders. i am getting ready to buy one, but dont want to spend a lot of money on a crappy one, so real-world advice is valuable to me. i have heard good things about the lincoln. i was also considering this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...uctId=200310071&R=200310071&issearch=16461401

it is about $130 more than the lincolon you linked to, but it also come with the cart and all the MIG/shielding gas stuff. anybody got any opinions? ih8mud member buckroseau is doing a total restoration on an fj45 wagon (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=39575) using a welder like this (it is actually the discontinued older 135 model). i think that for body work at least, you couldnt argue that it (he) is doing a great job.

kevins snap-on would be great, as with any good used welder. however if i was going to buy a new welder and only use it from time to time i would seriously look at hobart.

Tools R Us said:
I have a used Snap-on 110V mig that I am about ready to part with.

Oh yeah!? Hmmmmm... Whats wrong with it?

RHINO said:
kevins snap-on would be great, as with any good used welder. however if i was going to buy a new welder and only use it from time to time i would seriously look at hobart.

I'll add a me too here. Miller or Hobart were the top two on my list when I bought a better welder. Per the advice of a few fab guys that know how to really use one.

well actually matt, you started this thread and kevins reply about his used welder was because of and meant for you, you have first dibs IMO. if baggins is responsible he'll agree, and hey he does need to save for gas money.:flipoff2:

P.S. the hobart in your link would be adequate for what you'll want to do, its a good welder. i have a miller kricket, about 110 amp i thinks, good for small stuff, and a millermatic 130 which is about the hobart 140, its good. will hangle 1/4" in multi pass with a little grunting. but since i got the big lincoln i dont use those anymore.

RHINO said:
well actually matt, you started this thread and kevins reply about his used welder was because of and meant for you, you have first dibs IMO. if baggins is responsible he'll agree, and hey he does need to save for gas money.:flipoff2:

Didn't want to start a war!:D

I have had this Snap-on for years, always did what I needed, works very well. About 5 years ago I landed a new Solar 220V, a few months ago I brought it to the shop, Phil was there and we cut the tape on the box and assembled it, the cord is wrong for my outlet, Phil brought over an extension/adapter cord to use with it and I still haven't plugged it to see if it works!:eek: As you can see it hasn't been a priority project.:D But I will fire it up, when it works the 110V will be for sale. I will try to get to it this week.

i appreciate the gentlemanlyness (is that a word?) of being offered the welder first, but the truth of the matter is that i am a little low on the cash reserves at the minute anyway, so if MaddBaggins has a need for the welder and Kevin is going to sell it, they would be best served to make a deal. when i finally have the cash to actually buy a welder, i will look around for a good used one, or probably go with the hobart 140.

thanks again guys for the good information, and Cdaniel - i will be calling you.

RHINO said:

I didn't use to much gas doing the Martinez loop, of course it's not a 4 hour drive from my house either;p :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom