1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welding for Dummies

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Hodag, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Hodag

Hodag Guest

Just picked up a Hobart Handler 120. Have had some experience with flux core MIG and arc. Anyone have some tips for setting up gas or good books on the subject? Will be doing floor pans and light fabrication for now. Thanks for any help. Hodag :beer:

2. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    All the setting were in the owners book on mine :p

but I'm still flux core :slap:

3. Bull22

Bull22

My welder (century 220V) came set up for gas. I use stargon works very well. But I have also use a lincoln weld pack 110 with flux core. The century works better but the 110 with the flux work very well and will be great for small fab work.

4. HI^C

HI^C

make sure your 120 is setup for gas? run mix, about 20 is what mine runs at on the gauge, then just weld.

5. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the purchase, did it come with an owners manual? Hopefully you can run gas, as you will get better results from this combo, for sheet metal anyhow, but that is just my expierence..

Practice, practice, practice...that is the only way you become proficiant at this, or anything..

Good luck!

-Steve

6. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Go to the library and see if they have some old welding text books. Then practice a lot.

Best thing if you have the time is to go take a class at the community college. Then you get expert advice and you can use their equipment to practice.