Welding a crack in my strut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So been trying to get a mobile welder in for this while I have the knuckle off and it's proving a pain. Welding is something I've always really wanted to be able to do, so I think it's time to just get on with it and buy a MIG

Obviously I will practice a bit before burning holes in my truck, but how would you approach this please?

Many thanks in advance

First, I'd try and drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop its propagation. Then get the crack cleaned out as best you can and burn it in. You're going to want to run that weld uphill so that you get good penetration, especially since you can't get a good bevel on it. Uphill MIG isn't trivial. Be prepared to spend several hours trialing results with different settings. I recommend getting some type of etching rust dissolver (most use phosphoric acid as the active chemical) to use as an etchant to see how well your welds are digging in.

This is definitely a DIY type repair once you've got the homework done to get the repair done correctly.

You definitely want to stop drill the crack if at all possible. An 1/8" drill should be fine. And if your having trouble finding the end of the crack, try getting the surface to bright clean metal with some fine sandpaper and applying just enough heat to one side of the crack to turn it blue, working your way toward the end. The crack will act as an insulator preventing other side from turning color until the end where it then all turns color. Visual magnification is your friend here. If it were me, I'd want this TIG welded.

So I decided that now is not the time to learn how to weld. I cleaned it up, drilled it as suggested to stop the crack propagating, and got a mobile lad in with a little MIG who sorted it out for me nicely. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom