welder advice (miller) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, start up costs so to speak are going to be similar to the slippery slope of Land Cruiser "baselining." When I took the welding class, the hoods were mid level Miller. I've had hands on a HF one in the store, and it just felt cheap. I'm going to be about $150 into an adapter pigtail and big extension cord just to get me out to the driveway. (still weighing the pros/cons of welding in the basement) leaning pretty hard towards not in the basement.
Central welding has a "beginners bucket" that looked like an ok deal until I realized that I already owned all of the marking and measuring stuff, and that the gloves were the super basic variety.
I'm hoping to keep the hood in the 200-250 range, not top of the line, but better field of view, and hopefully some sort of "clear" technology.
Should I go cheap on the basics? (wire brushes, slag hammer, pliers, stuff like that)? or Will the USA Channellock 360 pliers last 2-3 times as long if nothing silly happens to them?
Also, any real-world thoughts on ground clamps? It looks like a good contact area is the key. I've seen some cheap and clever work arounds, but long term, is it worth it to build a set with a tweeco style clamp?

here this is the optrel I was referencing I just picked up... Its as good or better than most options

Amazon product ASIN B015XW86KU
Why do you need a slag hammer for GMAW (mig machine) If you have enough slag you need a chipping hammer there is something seriously wrong, unless you plan to run Flux core exclusively ( good idea if your going to only weld in the drive way) and even then a wire brush is normally more than enough for that ( I prefer than on a grinder than doing it by hand). Gloves are 14-25 bucks at my local supply houses and cheaper on amazon, just make sure you are not using nylon gloves as you get them hot it melts to you skin, you must use leather gloves

I would not be welding in the basement unless its only on clean material and with with sheliding gas not flux core as you dont want all those fumes in your living space and in your home where it can expose everyone in the place to the fumes all the time.

A chipping hammer is nice to have and you can get/make one for like a $1 if you get an old rusty regular hammer at a flea market and spend 5 minutes with a grinder, that's hardly a biggie. And you definitely need to have a grinder if you will be doing some welding (and preferably 2 or even 3 if you will be doing a lot of welding). Aside from the hood, the little stuff can be started with pretty cheaply, I think. For example, MIG pliers are nice to have, but you can make do with cheap regular pliers, and so on. Can't hurt much to go easy on the uncritical accessories until you know what you will actually do or not with the welder.

I popped into a local Central Welding over the weekend. Basic Miller auto darkening hood on sale for 70 bucks. 20 bucks on gloves (most comfortable that had some built-in heat resistance), big extension cord parts. Also, harbor Freight had a weird 30% off anything 10 bucks and under up to 9 times coupon... so, some more wire brushes, some magnetic angles, rear wheels for cart project (I figure a cart is a good first project), welding pliers, and another cheap flashlight.
I ordered up some contact tips, and some small spools of wire on line. In our haste to verify that the thing did in fact create an arc, the seller went off of memory and we welded the wire to the contact tip. (looks like beat up wire wasn't clipped off first either).
The label on the spool in the machine is F'ed, so I have no idea what it is other than Lincoln brand.
I own corded and cordless grinders and sawzalls. We also have a old tired Dewalt 10" chop saw that I may dedicate to metal duty. Oh, I have access to Milwaukee porta-band as well.
I do want to go straight to welding with gas. That I know for sure. I have to talk with the gas guys about various pricing options, and see what will be the best fit. There are some used cylinders going locally, but I know that can be a problem if the cert isn't up to date.
Hopefully making some sparks next weekend.
Oh, as for whether I need a chipping/slag hammer or not, It's a fairly cheap item that I don't already have. The tool gods require it then don't they?;)

Probably to late to be helpful, but you probably should not buy a bottle off somebody on Craigslist or something. The big names won’t swap or fill it unless it’s one one of theirs usually.

Yes ^^ I've read a lot about the potential pitfalls of outdated and otherwise "weird" gas cylinders. The baby bottles are attractive at first glance, but running out in mid project and frequent refills don't sound so good.

I just read through this and was laughing at the comment "I don't want to get in too deep if welding isn't for me"... Everyone who works on anything made of metal will benefit from a welder at some point. My personal units are a Fabricator 250 and Syncrowave tig. Both are 220 units and I have never needed more and I do a TON of fabrication on everything from sheet metal to 3/4 plate on Dozers. What was mentioned about gas bottles, correct. Get your bottles locally from your closest supplier. Get the largest bottle you can afford. I lease mine as companies are getting away from selling bottles to customers. I used to believe that owning everything was the only way to go, then I had to pay for one bottle to be recertified and I immediately swapped to leasing them. I have about 6 around here for various things. Argon, Mig mix, oxygen...you name it.

A welder will be one of the best shop investments you'll ever get. Next you'll want a more efficient way to cut steel. Torch, plasma cutter...plasma table, water jet. You think cruisers are a black hole of tools? When you learn that you can make anything you want with skills and a welder the world is your oyster. Just don't let it become more than you can do, ask me how I know.

Yes ^^ I've read a lot about the potential pitfalls of outdated and otherwise "weird" gas cylinders. The baby bottles are attractive at first glance, but running out in mid project and frequent refills don't sound so good.
The mid size c25 bottles are a good size for a home shop. Not like oxy torch bottles, they will lays longer than you think for occasional use. You don’t need a big 200.

Torches for heating and bending...plasma cutter....and down the rabbit hole we go. One other thing I would add, now that you have a welder, go ahead and build yourself as large of a welding table as you can. Put it on wheels and roll it out of the way and don't cover it up with other crap. Make the top out of the thickest steel plate you can find. Learning to tack a project down to the table and starting with a level flat surface will be money very well spent when you need to build something that you want to actually fit and be able to replicate it. If you search craigslist and whatnot you can usually find some deals on materials like that. It's an invaluable tool. You can pull up a stool and get comfortable. Take some steel and tack it down to the table and start practicing your weld beads on different types of steel.

@HandForged Thanks. those are all valid and reasonable thoughts. At my current house, I barely have space to rip a sheet of plywood, so I will not be going full bore on setting up a metal shop just yet. You have made me realize why a production shop typically has 1k lb tables though. If my wife and I are in this house a ton longer, I have some ideas for a "knock-down" table (4 sections that can be clipped together as needed but with only 1/4" perforated plate tops so I can still move them solo.
My "not wanting to get in too deep" was just about not going nuts out of the gate; "I need to install baseboard in one room so I'll go get the Festool Kapex 12". That sort of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom