welder advice (miller) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMikeyG

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been thinking about getting a beginner/hobbyist level welder for a while. I do enjoy using decent tools that are made well, and If I buy one of the Harbor freight ones and decide later that welding isn't for me, My resale value is pretty much nil so I've been resisting the HF models so far.
Today, I see a local listing for a millermatic 211 (looks like around 1100-1300 new?) Ad says the unit started smoking and that he contacted Miller tech and was told the fan is the only thing that could do that.
It comes with a cart, and most of the basics, and he may have a tank for an extra 20.
So, for 400 bucks do I gamble or run away?
And, does a smoked fan sound plausible?
This is an older millermatic 211 with autoset and the mvp cord. Not the newest inverter model.
Seller says fan 60-70 bucks, I did a very cursory search and it seems like 150 is more likely.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'd probably walk away from that deal. No telling what's wrong with it, or how much $$$ it'll take to get it running right. Also, check the date on the tank. If it's expired, it's going to cost more to exchange it for a full one (first hand experience).

+1. Pretty much everything inside that box is capable of producing smoke in the right (wrong) condition. I would vote circuit board way before the cooling fan. Without being able to take it apart I wouldn't pay much more than scrap value.

Really nice machine though. Keep looking for a working one.

Thank you both for the input. I really need to quit bringing home "projects" anyway. A welder isn't like a vintage malt mixer than I can get going again for 12 bucks in parts and 1/2 hour on the bench.

I have that exact welder and I love it, it really works well. But I agree, there are too many unknowns in that deal, and one bad part could make it not worth fixing. Look at it this way: if the seller thinks it's an easy fix with just the fan, then why doesn't he just fix it?

I’d also steer away from the HF model. If you get one that’s funky, and you don’t know how it should behave, you won’t know if it’s you or the machine.

Last edited:
If it works get. If it doesn’t only offer the value if parted out. If it smokes you can identify what is causing the smoke but not necessarily what is causing the problem.

I think it’s gone. Unless I see a ridiculous good deal, I think my welding aspirations are on the back back burner for now.

The price is too much for the magic smoke escape.

Inverter 211’s are cheaper now than ever - my Dad bought one new (I’m on a 350p) but is perfect for his needs.

Here’s the 211 for $1279 & you get $200 back from Miller, so $1079.

Miller Millermatic 211 MIG Welder with Advanced Auto-Set (907614)

Both my 350p & my plasma cutter came from them, they crate/shipped to WA perfectly, I buy consumables local but machines from IOC.

Thanks. I really should get the dang 80 sorted before I start throwing sparks around

Check out Eastwood, their small MIG machines are pretty cost effective.

I used to have a big high end Miller. Sold it and now do all my stuff with a no-name $500 110V machine. Does everything I’ve needed. I’ve welded everything from bodywork sheet metal to my backhoe thumb (3/4”) and my wood splitter wedge (1”). It’s all in how you prep it and pre-heat it if needed.

If you are doing every day production, buy a brand name. If not, save your money - buy a cheap machine, you’ll love it.

I just started building a press brake with my little machine...

Apparently the HF Vulcan line of welders are suppose to be decent. I know a guy using one who was impressed. AvE, the wacky canadian YouTuber, was plesantly suprised as well. I was going to buy one before I snagged a cheapo Lincoln to do some basic tac'ing but they were only in pre-sale and I needed a welder asap. If a HF sale comes up, I'd snag one.

Black Friday they actually had coupons for welders which they never do. I have a couple Miller's otherwise I'd have picked up their big multiprocess machine.

Apparently the HF Vulcan line of welders are suppose to be decent. I know a guy using one who was impressed. AvE, the wacky canadian YouTuber, was plesantly suprised as well. I was going to buy one before I snagged a cheapo Lincoln to do some basic tac'ing but they were only in pre-sale and I needed a welder asap. If a HF sale comes up, I'd snag one.
Actually the YouTuber ChuckE2009 was impressed by the one he grabbed as well. Normally on his reviews he does a full teardown and looks at boards, wire management, etc. and seemed like it wasn't half bad.

I'm throwing some more at this thread.
I recently took a "beginner" welding class. The machines I got to use were both Miller, one older millermatic 175, and another similar Miller but newer (digital display, mvp plug options).
I stopped into a local Central welding supply yesterday to get some battery/winch cable stuff and look at new machines. I really don't want to spend 1200 dollars. It looks like the current "normal" options that handle 230v are the Hobart 190, the Lincoln 180, Miller 211,
A guy semi-local has a Millermatic 180 on craigslist, but his ad sounds like he's expecting to get 800 or more for it with nothing except some wire.
There's a MM 175 with a decent "kit" less local to me for 950
Or there's a new Hobart handler 190 for 670 from Tractor supply. I've watched a few of the videos online regarding the new harbor freight offering s too. For the money, that Vulcan unit seems pretty good. Possible downside is going to be low resale value, and potentially worse warranty (extra year for 90 bucks I think)?
Again, I'm just a beginner, and don't intend for fabrication to be a money making venture for me so on that note I feel like I should go with the cheapest machine I can find that I can run off of my dryer circuit(better duty cycle).

Buy once, cry once.

I've had my MillerMatic 210 (older transformer based welder) for 14 years and it's been great. Plenty of power, durable, never has needed a repair. Only down side is that its heavy, but on it's wheels it isn't too bad. I think 15 years ago it was about $1400 from IOC. I can't say enough good things and how much use I've gotten from it. It's the equivalent of the current 212 but without the autoset feature.

The MM 175 had a great reputation and came with a cart, I think. It was a traditional transformer based welder. That's from the same era as my 210. If it hasn't been used too hard, it's likely still great. But try and find one with a gas cylinder.

You get a Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln machine and it's repairable your entire life. Likely ESAB too. But how many HF electric products will last your whole life? Don't get me wrong, I've bought my share of HF products, but a welder is not something I would get there even if it "works fine" when new.

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely leaning away from harbor freight. The one ( MM175) that's about an hour from me does have a gas cylinder, cart, and a few other extras. Just from looking at photos online, I think it is the transformer generation. Case looks to be in really nice shape.
I guess that could be another excuse to head further south and visit a buddy of mine on the same trip.

if it's a big cylinder, that's worth a bit of money. But it may be worth checking that it would be accepted for refill at your preferred gas place (owned vs rented etc) and that it's still current (or you may need to have it hydroed).

If you want a cheap, industrial wire feeder, you might consider buying a Miller CP-200 or CP-300 3 phase welder and doing a Haas - Kamp conversion to single phase. Google it to see if it is something you might be interested in. Around here, CP-200s sell for $200 - $300 because few people want a 3 phase machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom