Welded diff...Stainless Rod??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was once told by a metallurgist that welding a diff with a stainless welding rod is the best way to go. Any experience with this. I believe he said it better because of low iron content. Its been a while... I have the SS rods so eventually I'll try it, unless someone knows why I shouldn't. Any ideas??? :confused:

I didn't....mine has been thrashed for a couple years with zero problems....heck, welded up another just for fun this week, and to have for a spare.

See my writeup in the tech links, follow those instructions, call it good.

I would tend to agree. How you weld it will have much much much more impact than the rod you use.

Mark...

Just follow woody's tech and you'll be fine. Good penetration in the weld is more important then the rod type you use anyway.

xjnation said:
I was once told by a metallurgist that welding a diff with a stainless welding rod is the best way to go. Any experience with this. I believe he said it better because of low iron content. Its been a while... I have the SS rods so eventually I'll try it, unless someone knows why I shouldn't. Any ideas??? :confused:

SS rod has a high nickle content and the rationale for using it on iron or steel is because it tolerates high amounts of carbon (like in high carbon steel or cast iron) without the risk of brittle iron carbides precipitating in the fusion zone. Nickle mixes ideally with both iron and carbon. The rational doesn't hold up for gears, because they are made of 8620 alloy and are surface (case) hardened. Other than the surface hardening that is only about .010 deep, there isn't enough carbon in 8620 (.2%) to worry about.

While SS or nickle rod would be fine, so would just about any other rod.

I used some stuff called Eutectic? or something - blue flux coating and gold colored rod, may have been SS rod but I'm not sure, my neighbor lent it to me for the project.

For the dude who filled the diff with aluminum - how the F did you get the clips in the axles after it was filled - not too many FF rear ends around this part of the globe.

haystax said:
For the dude who filled the diff with aluminum - how the F did you get the clips in the axles after it was filled - not too many FF rear ends around this part of the globe.

Fair enough - in this part of the world they're common, and an essential upgrade if doing hard wheeling :)

what sort of $$$ are we talking for the aluminium fill... my bro's lookin at welding up his diff but if this is an effective method (also FF).... welll

Dont hold me to this but I believe 6011 rod is the norm for welding diffs with an arc welder. has something to do with the grease and oil soaked into the metal. The 6011 is good for welding dirty metal. Something I read in off road magazine, and i cant find the article.
All i know is whatever the base metal is in the gears is what you want to weld them with. Stainless is great for not being a disimilar metal or galvanic corrosion problem but it will still add to a cyclic corrosion problem faster than a mild steel to mild steel application.

bad_religion_au said:
what sort of $$$ are we talking for the aluminium fill... my bro's lookin at welding up his diff but if this is an effective method (also FF).... welll

you'll need to price it at a foundry near you.... :)

you'll need to pull the centre, remove the side bearings, and take some axles with you - you fit these to prevent al getting in the splines - push them in as far as you can.

Good info, everyone. Thanks .

andrewfarmer said:
you'll need to price it at a foundry near you.... :)

you'll need to pull the centre, remove the side bearings, and take some axles with you - you fit these to prevent al getting in the splines - push them in as far as you can.

Ok I need a pic of this.

How in the heck do you get the c-clips back in?

And if you mean only on a Full Floater then you need to state that. Someone will read this and go do it with a c-clip diff and be screwed.

and if your silly enough to do a mod without researching the implications, well their silly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom