Weld It Yourself Bumper Scam?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was looking for a replacement bumper for the cruiser and I don't have the $1000 to spend for the ARB.

I found the following ad:

http://moseslake.craigslist.org/pts/4846141263.html

Which is very similar to this ad:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ptd/4828982156.html

I emailed the top ad and got an email response back:

Thank you for your interest in Dirty Girl Offroad.

Please find attached pictures of a front and rear bumper for an '87 FJ60. I do not have a picture of the before picture currently.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Brooke Ranney
Dirty Girl Off-road
360-880-1352

With this attached picture.

I can't find "Dirty Girl Off-Road" online anywhere.

Has anyone used one of these kits? I would have to pay someone to weld it together as I don't have that skill set - what is the cost to have one put together? WOuld I really be saving any money if the kit is $380 plus shipping?

Is one of these ads legit and the other a scam?

Dirty Girl bumper.jpg

It's probably legit, just as risky as anything else on Craigslist. But if you can't weld, what is the point of buying a kit?

Kits are great ideas for do it yourselfers. It saves a ton of time on R&D and shipping costs.

If you need a bumper, check out 4plus or reevesci. Both make products that are far superior to ARB. And cheaper to boot

Luke at 4x4 Labs sells weld it yourself kits too. Not expensive either. You can always buy his bumper then buy the swing outs later if cash it tight.

I should also mention, why risk buying something off Craigslist. It may be a scam, most sellers on mud are verified, and you know the quality of product you are getting.

cheap isn't good, and good isn't cheap

like @beno said, support the people of the community, before taking a risk on Craigslist

Realizing that the OP only has 6 posts and more than likely doesn't realize that there is a supported vendor section to the site, etc. I have to agree with everyone.
We have a great community here of not only enthusiasts but builders and people that are devoutely in the business.

Jason (@reevesci) is the owner of Trail Tailor and is a master (and I do mean master) welder that builds some armor for the FJ60 (and has a creative mind so you can shoot things his way and he can let you know if it can happen). Check out his build on GOSS and you will see what we are all talking about.
@Fourrunner is another person that does some side business items for the FJ60s and is more well known for his battery cable kits but also provides bumper items as well.
Then there are other guys out there like @lcwizard or @cruiseroutfit or @beno that has some other involvement such as being a shop, or a yard or something. Lots of these guys put time and effort into supporting the community so the least that we can do is support them in turn. I know that I have used a couple of the guys on here to purchase parts, upgrades, etc. and while supporting another business like that is good when going through CL, there are inherent risks and I would rather go with someone that is well known in a community than off somewhere else..

@AbnMike - Check out the Classifieds and Vendor Marketplace and you will see everything that you could ever want. If you are looking for OEM Toyota parts, then look no further than @beno (Onur) or @Sam Stewart for those types of things.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into those options as well.

I know folks who can weld and can likely get it done for a case of beer.

I can tell you that I consider forum vendors for all purchases prior to purchase and at the very least give them a chance to beat a better price I may have found elsewhere. There is a whole lot more value to the vendors here than just price. I buy a lot of parts and I'll pay more for a part than I have to, but knowing that part will be at my door when quoted and it will be the right part, well it's priceless.

The knowledge of many of the vendors here along with their willing attitude toward developing and bringing new products to a very niche market is something we should all support. How many have you seen come and go over the years.

Also I definitely do and appreciate vendors who are community minded. I wasn't sure if maybe this was a known vendor being copied, or a complete fly by night operation, etc so thanks again.

So I was looking for a replacement bumper for the cruiser and I don't have the $1000 to spend for the ARB.

I found the following ad:

http://moseslake.craigslist.org/pts/4846141263.html

Which is very similar to this ad:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ptd/4828982156.html

I emailed the top ad and got an email response back:

With this attached picture.

I can't find "Dirty Girl Off-Road" online anywhere.

Has anyone used one of these kits? I would have to pay someone to weld it together as I don't have that skill set - what is the cost to have one put together? WOuld I really be saving any money if the kit is $380 plus shipping?

Is one of these ads legit and the other a scam?

I'm all for supporting local MUD vendors. I have a 4+Products front bumper and it's fantastic! That being said, did you call the first one to see
if he is legit in your mind? This is a guy who, for $380 isn't making a whole lot of profit on something ( read: not overcharging to pay for new Dodge Dually ) which we are all in favour of, No?? I think buying a kit would be a good time to learn the skill set of welding, especially knowing what it will look like when its done.
Maybe this guy does not know of MUD?
I am just looking at the other side of the issue here.
I designed and built my own rear bumper, and $380 is what initial costs were for it, so that's a deal. The 4+ was essentially $1000. That's
a lot of learning money. Anyhow, my .02

On the plus side, they have a Facebook page. So many people getting started in business use Craigslist for advertising because the price is right.
Paying for a website can be costly and out of range for people just getting started to get their name out there. Maybe contact him through facebook. Get a few more pics of the construction. The front is the easy view. How it mounts and whats behind is more important. If the shell is
10 gauge you'll probably want to make sure there's secondary support at the rear of the winch

I'm not sure about that 4plus guy. I've been trying to get him to work on my 40 for years. He keeps blowing me off and focusing on everyone else's
stuff first. Hopefully I'll get lucky this year and get put on the schedule

^^ I LOVE THIS... SO TRUE!! I have a 60 in a little better situation with T-T, BUT NOT BY MUCH!

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom