Weld it Yourself 80 Series Tire Carrier Assembly Instructions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A couple pictures a customer submitted of a kit they welded themselves. 🤘

320667383_1432121743860984_3884055349701310470_n.jpg
319534551_1884684061896587_6454841558995292091_n.jpg

Do they weld the Cat Head on themselves?

wowza, 1/4" thick ?

I love the design of your tire carrier, and the fact that you offer it both in a weld it your self and a built system. It looks incredibly stout, but I have a question. I see that it's cut from 1/4" plate, but why is the spindle sleeve only 3/16" ?

Reactions: GGM
Thanks!

It's 2.25" DOM tube that's turned down to fit the bearing races, short story, the numbers work out nicely.

Also, the walls are only thinner where it's turned for the races.

In reality the entire tire carrier could be made of a thinner material. It's overbuilt yet not too heavy.

That is a really good job for do it yourself assembly - Ready for paint!!! Not many kits offered as DIY

Looks like it is all fillet welds.. makes it easier..
Did you mark the "Facing Outside" or did the user do that? It is a good idea to help keep it straight especially if you are flipping it around for assembly. And this particular one is on the passenger side correct? ... You offer either both side now...

That is a really good job for do it yourself assembly - Ready for paint!!! Not many kits offered as DIY

Looks like it is all fillet welds.. makes it easier..
Did you mark the "Facing Outside" or did the user do that? It is a good idea to help keep it straight especially if you are flipping it around for assembly. And this particular one is on the passenger side correct? ... You offer either both side now...
I did not write on the metal. I do ship them in bags that are labeled.

Yes this is a passenger side mount.

Yes we have diy or assembled in driver or passenger side mounting configurations.

This kit looks really nice. I'm not in the market but was just curious how long you estimate this would take to weld up?

Not at this time. Can't give away all my secrets.

Oh no, that's completely respectable!

I've been procrastinating hugely on my own swingout as I finished most my bumper. Your setup looks like a modular style arm, I dig it.

Reactions: GGM
Thanks!

It's 2.25" DOM tube that's turned down to fit the bearing races, short story, the numbers work out nicely.

Also, the walls are only thinner where it's turned for the races.

In reality the entire tire carrier could be made of a thinner material. It's overbuilt yet not too heavy.
I've done alot of tig welding over the years, and you just might want to pass along this word of warning to your customers about putting to heavy/hot of a weld bead on the outside of that DOM tubing. I've seen weld bead shrinkage (after the weld cools) cause the machined surface on the inside of tubing go from a nice machined round shape to an oval shape. Once that happens you'll never be able to get your bearing races to fit down inside of that piece of DOM tubing.

I've done alot of tig welding over the years, and you just might want to pass along this word of warning to your customers about putting to heavy/hot of a weld bead on the outside of that DOM tubing. I've seen weld bead shrinkage (after the weld cools) cause the machined surface on the inside of tubing go from a nice machined round shape to an oval shape. Once that happens you'll never be able to get your bearing races to fit down inside of that piece of DOM tubing.
Good point that I don't think I mention in the instructions, I install the races BEFORE welding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom