Welcome to Veterans' Highway! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Mike, @MrMikeyG , Welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. I know how weird it is to be an older guy in a company. I was asked if I was a narc or CID. Stateside I was old enough to buy beer when they couldn't.

Larry in El Paso

Hi All,

I started out in the Army in '95 (basic training at Ft. Jackson) and was a 91D (OR tech). Commissioned in '98 into the signal corps and branched transferred into the MSC. Did a tour in Iraq (OIF III) and the wife, who was fed up with the Army, told me that she would leave me if I stayed in. So, I got out, a got a degree, and direct commissioned into the Air Force as a physician assistant after convincing my wife that the AF was better for the family. Been in since Dec 2010 and have been stationed at Dover, Andrews, Nellis, Misawa, and I'm heading to Osan this summer.

I never considered an LC--more of a 4Runner guy as my dad had a '99 4Runner and we loved it. But I needed 3rd row seating and I found this '94 at the Nellis lemon lot. I love taking the kiddos car camping in Death Valley and exploring the surrounding area outside Vegas. Here it is exploring Sunrise Mountain near Nellis.

-Jim

IMG_1184.JPG

Hi Jim, @Tachycardic , Welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. Good looking Tank.

Larry in El Paso

Welcome: @dmaddoc, WhitePhoenix, Firingonall16, Riverfarm, MyWhiteSheep, TCEd, Purpleaction, heilanpiper, PacificaFJ40, SIG383, MrMikeyG, Tachycardia, Thanks for your service and sorry I am late to the party.

Welcome: @dmaddoc, WhitePhoenix, Firingonall16, Riverfarm, MyWhiteSheep, TCEd, Purpleaction, heilanpiper, PacificaFJ40, SIG383, MrMikeyG, Tachycardia, Thanks for your service and sorry I am late to the party.
Thank you. No worries. I think we all stumbled on to this thread a little late.

I found this thread seeing the link at the bottom of someone's signature block. I guess I don't get around the forum much!

I served 22 years in the USAF and USAFR, and now I'm a member of the check of the month club. Flew Vipers for 18 years (Hill, Luke, downrange) and finished up flying MC-12Ws in Iraq (2011) and AFG (2012, 2013). MC-12s ended up being the most rewarding thing I did in my career, finding bad guys and saving good guys everyday, and little to no BS. Helped to be a reservist that was retiring, so I could do the right thing without fear. What were they going to do, send me home? If anyone here worked with "Liberty" (Iraq) or "Freedom" (AFG) that was us.
Fini Flight - May '13. I'm the old guy ;)
010.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

Oachica National Forest Trip.

Now I'm a program manager working Operational Test on the F-35. Avoided the staff for 22 years...but its still a rewarding way to support the war fighter.

I'm slowly building my 100 to explore the country, and frankly enjoying getting away from people and the craziness this world has turned into...

I found this thread seeing the link at the bottom of someone's signature block. I guess I don't get around the forum much!

I served 22 years in the USAF and USAFR, and now I'm a member of the check of the month club. Flew Vipers for 18 years (Hill, Luke, downrange) and finished up flying MC-12Ws in Iraq (2011) and AFG (2012, 2013). MC-12s ended up being the most rewarding thing I did in my career, finding bad guys and saving good guys everyday, and little to no BS. Helped to be a reservist that was retiring, so I could do the right thing without fear. What were they going to do, send me home? If anyone here worked with "Liberty" (Iraq) or "Freedom" (AFG) that was us.
View attachment 2637156
View attachment 2637153

Now I'm a program manager working Operational Test on the F-35. Avoided the staff for 22 years...but its still a rewarding way to support the war fighter.

I'm slowly building my 100 to explore the country, and frankly enjoying getting away from people and the craziness this world has turned into...

Welcome.

Hi @Bisho , welcome to the highway. How can you be the old guy with no grey hair :) ? Your 100 is off to a good start.

Larry in El Paso

View attachment 2637156
View attachment 2637153

Very cool! Those MC-12W's went to Beale eventually right? I was a U-2 Crew Chief at Beale, assigned to SR-71's but they retired by the time I got there. Love the reconnaissance missions and what they provide. The 9th Wing was a great unit to be a part of. Thanks for your service!

Very cool! Those MC-12W's went to Beale eventually right? I was a U-2 Crew Chief at Beale, assigned to SR-71's but they retired by the time I got there. Love the reconnaissance missions and what they provide. The 9th Wing was a great unit to be a part of. Thanks for your service!
They did move the school house there, from Meridian, MS, before they shut it down. I requaled there (I was basically flying Vipers and MC-12s at the same time) the fall of 2012.

We had a 31 year old in basic training that everyone called grandpa.
One day it dawned on me that I was old enough to be the father for the rest of the crew...

They did move the school house there, from Meridian, MS, before they shut it down. I requaled there (I was basically flying Vipers and MC-12s at the same time) the fall of 2012.
Man that's like switching back and forth from a Corvette to a UPS truck :D

Man that's like switching back and forth from a Corvette to a UPS truck :D
Flying wise, yes. But the mental skillset to do the mission well was remarkably the same. I never would have imagined, before I did it, what a force mulitplier the MC-12 was (at least the way the Air Force employed them).

One day it dawned on me that I was old enough to be the father for the rest of the crew...
That's like seeing a full bird and thinking... he's just a young pup! I'm there now!

Am unsure if I've posted here - if so it's been years and years.

I'm Darin - Former Active Army (16S [STINGER] and 71L [Admin]), and ARNG (16S) NCO. Current Army Civilian (GS employee). Duty stations:

1992 BCT at Fort Sill, AIT at Fort Bliss, then 5-3 ADA at McCully Barracks Germany, 92-95.
95-97 HHC 81st IN Bde, WA ARNG, Seattle
97-98 57th MP Co, Camp Carroll, Korea
98-00 I Corps G1, Fort Lewis

Civ Duty stations:
02-08, I Corps G3, Fort Lewis
08-09, USAG Fort Rucker
09-15, USAG Detroit Arsenal
2011, Ballad, Iraq (civ deployment)
15-20, USAG Rheinland-Pfalz, Kaiserslautern (Rhine Ordinance Barracks)
20-Present, USAG Fort Sill.

Am unsure if I've posted here - if so it's been years and years.

I'm Darin - Former Active Army (16S [STINGER] and 71L [Admin]), and ARNG (16S) NCO. Current Army Civilian (GS employee). Duty stations:

1992 BCT at Fort Sill, AIT at Fort Bliss, then 5-3 ADA at McCully Barracks Germany, 92-95.
95-97 HHC 81st IN Bde, WA ARNG, Seattle
97-98 57th MP Co, Camp Carroll, Korea
98-00 I Corps G1, Fort Lewis

Civ Duty stations:
02-08, I Corps G3, Fort Lewis
08-09, USAG Fort Rucker
09-15, USAG Detroit Arsenal
2011, Ballad, Iraq (civ deployment)
15-20, USAG Rheinland-Pfalz, Kaiserslautern (Rhine Ordinance Barracks)
20-Present, USAG Fort Sill.
Welcome! I was also in Mortaritaville in 2011 flying MC-12s.

Welcome! I was also in Mortaritaville in 2011 flying MC-12s.

Very cool - were you there when the hospital was hit? May-ish. I had my gallbladder removed in theater and a few days after I left the hospital we lost/damaged the blood lab and the recovery area where i'd spent a few days. Crazy times, brother. Glad you're home safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom