Welcome to Veterans' Highway! (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was a “passenger” on the Tarawa for her 1st deployment in 1979 (WESPAC). Our berthing compartment was aft under the flight deck. A squadron of AV-8 Harriers made that location an interesting place to try and sleep during flight OPS. I knew I was old when I was having a pint er‘ two with a group of Marines who were training at Camp Dawson in Kingwood WV. One fresh faced young Corporal asked me what ships I had been on. When I replied “The USS Tarawa” the group got really quite. Finally my inquisitive companion leaned over and said “The Tarawa was decommissioned 10 years ago”…

So I bought a round and we toasted LHA-1..:cheers:
I served in her sister ship USS Nassau (LHA 4). She was decommissioned also a very long time ago!

Jose

Hey Welcome home and to the Mud group. I did a bunch of training in Fort Lewis with the rangers instructing. Was one hell of a big base for this small town guy. I live here on Vancouver Island BC Canada wife and dog. If you ever want a road trip your welcome here just email me before coming. Im building a diesel 60 series should have her on the road for Christmas! Well all the best, JIM Infatry Ret
Hey Jim,
Great place to live. Been there a few time but I have not explored the island much. My wife and I want to go back and spend 3 weeks exploring.
Jose

I’ve been on mud for 5 years and never knew this existed 🙃

Hey all, I’m Chris. I was an infantry officer in the Marine reserves (still in the IRR) from 2016-2020. I spent my first 2 years on AD orders and deployed on a MEU as a fresh 2ndLt. Nothing too eventful happened other than a world booze cruise, as SOF-dudes were partying at that time with drone pilots doing the rest.

I was introduced to the land cruiser family via the Land Cruiser Prado i had for a week in the Middle East. The thing was legit and I felt like a boss driving it. I bought 80 about 4 months after I came back from deployment.

Pictured is my 80 a few days after I got it (bone stock). Also is what it looks like after I got a bunch of goodies from Luke at 4x4Labs.

IMG_6667.jpeg
IMG_5962.jpeg

IMG_2749.jpeg

Last edited:
Ken here. USN 1969 to 1972. Nuke MM1(SS). Over a year total underwater then a visit to Nam.
I owned this FJ 40 back in the 70's and 80's and sold it to a friend when work took me out of state. I'm retired now and moved back and was able to repurchase it. This will be a multi year project.

Hello all! Mike here in the Cleveland, Ohio area. US Army from 2006 to 2012. I've had my 40 for about 2 years and before that had a 93 80 series. Currently on the 40 I just drive it whenever I can and am happy with it being good from far but far from good. I had seen this link in a few bios so I thought I would hop in and introduce myself.

Hello all! Mike here in the Cleveland, Ohio area. US Army from 2006 to 2012. I've had my 40 for about 2 years and before that had a 93 80 series. Currently on the 40 I just drive it whenever I can and am happy with it being good from far but far from good. I had seen this link in a few bios so I thought I would hop in and introduce myself.

I might be coming up to Akron to shoot the breeze with @Jdc1 sometime in the future. We‘ll see if we can’t talk him into a a burger and a BS session..

Welcome aboard…Nice wheels..!!!

Welcome! Fellow NE Ohioan my self (former). Westlake/West Park areas.

Hopping in to say hi.
Long time Toyota owner with a few in the stable.
I'm looking to find myself an FJ62 w/ H55F soon.
'94 2WD XCab Pickup that I've had since 2008, trying to put a VVTi 1UZ with a Nismo Z34 6spd and the '98 SC400 IRS. Yes, it's a lot going on.
'95 Supra Turbo 6MT that I've been building since forever.
2011 ISF as my daily.

Spent several years with USAF working on aircraft and I'm still with aviation.

Hello, I’m Zac, US Air Force ‘93 -‘13. Originally from Northeastern Ohio (born in Cleveland, moved east of Akron when I was 9), retired in Southwestern Illinois and moved to Upstate South Carolina in 2020.

_RJV0671.jpeg

Army, 91B, 2en bn 573rd combat engineers. 2008-2014. Afghanistan/Iraq deployments. Permanent duty station was at Wsmr. Loved the desert. Got hurt and discharged. Continued as contractor/ tech for government stuff.

I love hobby’s, my wife says maybe too much. I’m currently refurbishing a 97 Lx..Alaska bound to visit some of her family.

I like gardening, hanging with my kids, getting sodas from the gas station. I like to joke around. I like fixing things, always have. Been a mechanic for about 20 years.
She to school tech school before I went to motor pool in the army. I do t know it all but I like new things to learn. I like to jog long distances. Like 4-6 miles a night.

Oh, I like riding dirt bikes really fast and recklessly, so wild I actually hyper extended my ankle on a landing. So I haven’t been jogging like I want to.

Anyway. Oh yeah I go to church.

That’s about it. I will usually respond if you ask me something.

IMG_9568.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom