Welcome to my 1HDT rebuild nightmare. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Magic Spool Bus

SILVER Star
Threads
1HDT with 105,000km. Went in for a transmission rebuild and coming out needing a engine rebuild FML.

A little back story. About 6 months ago I had my ACSD sheer off inside the pump and do some significant damage to the pump and a few injectors. It was only running on a few cylinders. Skipping, smoking and shutting off all the way to the injection shop. After it was buttoned back up with rebuilt pump and injectors the truck has ran amazing for about 5,000km.

NEW ISSUE: my clutch hydraulics gave out. Towed it to shop to have a new clutch installed and the H151 rebuilt with new synchros, new slave and rebuilt master cylinder. Before I towed it to the shop I noticed the crank pulley wobbling just a very small amount. Figured it was the harmonic balancer going bad so ordered a new one. Go to pickup the truck after it’s trans overhaul and hear a noticeably loud knocking coming from “somewhere”. The shop thought it was the new HD clutch. Take it for a quick spin still has good power and runs fine, no smoke, overall not bad other than the unknown chatter. Popped the hood to see that the crank pulley was noticeably wobbling even more and the sound appears to be coming from the balancer and oil pan area. Once the harmonic balancer was pulled it was very apparent the crankshaft has an abundant amount of end float and up and down movement just by hand.

Obviously so far I don’t know if the crank has snapped or if the thrust and main bearings are shot. The BEBs were done on the truck at 97,000km. Plans are to pull the engine and rebuild and replace whatever is necessary.

What I’m really here for and hoping some of the experts here can weigh in on is why is this somewhat a common issue on these diesels. I’m worried that even after a complete engine overhaul. This same scenario will play out again and never know exactly why. My only best guess some damage was done when the injection pump took a poop.

Thanks for any help and insight.

Last edited:
That sucks, but the 1st time I've seen it. I'd agree that this is not a common issue with these engines.

Maybe I did use the word “common” a little too loosely. However it’s quite easy to find a few rigs with this happening. It’s not first it probably won’t be the last. I just wish there were more info pointing to why it’s a possibility. Especially on a stock turbo low Km truck. Either way I plan to use this as a thread for my journey in rebuilding this 1HDT.

Looks like bearing float rather than a snapped crank. Its not common and can be caused by lots of things. JDM vehicles are well known to have the mileage altered. 1HD T should go for 3-400000klm before the engine needs to be rebuilt.

I just wish there were more info pointing to why it’s a possibility.

I think a lot of them get driven too hard. Im not saying you do, but unless you have owned it since new its hard to say how it has been treated in the past and it is after all a 25 yo engine. Another pointer is the clutch, some owners get 300000klms from a landcruiser clutch. My last landcruiser ute got 230000klms out of the clutch and my troopy still has the original at 285000klms.
And you are rebuilding an engine, gearbox and clutch at 100000klms.

I think a lot of them get driven too hard. Im not saying you do, but unless you have owned it since new its hard to say how it has been treated in the past and it is after all a 25 yo engine. Another pointer is the clutch, some owners get 300000klms from a landcruiser clutch. My last landcruiser ute got 230000klms out of the clutch and my troopy still has the original at 285000klms.
And you are rebuilding an engine, gearbox and clutch at 100000klms.

So as for the transmission and clutch it didnt “need” to be replaced or rebuilt. The clutch was fine I just opted to go ahead and get a new one from NPC while it was out because I plane to throw some high torque at it eventually and the gearbox was relatively fine. I was doing it more for piece of mind and it turns out the synchros were not in bad shape after all. I had a notchy 2nd and 3rd gear which is why I went for the rebuild.

In hind sight what went in for a hydraulic issue in the slave and a leaky rear seal in the transfer case turned into me wanting to go above an beyond and sort of a waste of money and time.

@Socal81 I see you are in San Diego, which shop did you have do the trans and pump work?

So the engine is ready to pull, transmission is out and transfer case is out.

What would you think if you found this in your gear oil after a “rebuild” with the rear trans seal leaking fluid out the back?

FADDAC9B-9326-46E6-96AA-B7F586027409.jpeg

F82395C0-CF8E-4092-9506-04311717462C.jpeg

So the engine is ready to pull, transmission is out and transfer case is out.

What would you think if you found this in your gear oil after a “rebuild” with the rear trans seal leaking fluid out the back?

View attachment 2005098

View attachment 2005099
My blood pressure would be thru the roof, and would be having a very one sided discussion with the shop who did the work.

Thats the kind of amateurish work you turn out when you are a teenager and you are graduating from your bicycle/trail bike to your first car.
For a workshop that is taking money from customers, it just plain incompetence

Thats the kind of amateurish work you turn out when you are a teenager and you are graduating from your bicycle/trail bike to your first car.
For a workshop that is taking money from customers, it just plain incompetence
At this point I don’t know if I should try to get money back or have them to correct it?

I find it hard to believe they are just going to refund the money though

Generally , they are usually allowed a chance to correct the problem. Annoying as it is.

Looks like I found the culprit. Finally got the engine out and in the garage. Dropped the oil pan and there it is.

Last edited:
Oh man... I know exactly how you feel, mine was the same couple of years ago...

What I’m really here for and hoping some of the experts here can weigh in on is why is this somewhat a common issue on these diesels.

Sorry to hear man - but neither fail with 100k. Your backstory didn't include where you purchased your 81? You get what you pay for and these aren't cheap when things go wrong - usually cheaper to drive into the Ocean. With all the problems you're experiencing you most likely got a poorly maintained roll-back.
West Coast Cruisers is not far from you and might be able to recommend a good Machinist. I'd be shopping for a replacement vs rebuild - could be quite a bit cheaper depending on the damage. And rebuilds down there can be even more of a gamble as you found out.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear man - but neither fail with 100k. Your backstory didn't include where you purchased your 81? You get what you pay for and these aren't cheap when things go wrong - usually cheaper to drive into the Ocean. With all the problems you're experiencing you most likely got a poorly maintained roll-back.
West Coast Cruisers is not far from you and might be able to recommend a good Machinist. I'd be shopping for a replacement vs rebuild - could be quite a bit cheaper depending on the damage. And rebuilds down there can be even more of a gamble as you found out.

For what it’s worth I did get a certificate stating my mileage was true and correct ;) not sure if that’s a sure way to know if the mileage has ever been rolled back.

I can’t even google search and find who west coast cruiser is...

1st thing my CAN friends did when they bought an HD-J81, was immediately upgrade the bottom end bearings. I don't know if they can contribute to crankshaft failure, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom