Welcome Ga Crzrs - Post A Pic Of Your Ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Super nice and clean 60! LIke the rear bumper, do you know what it is? Mirrors look great, what other mods are on it.

RJ

Super nice and clean 60! LIke the rear bumper, do you know what it is? Mirrors look great, what other mods are on it.

RJ

Rear bumper is one off home brew. Aftermarket 62 mirrors, they have some vibration at speed, but my tundras tow mirrors do the same, so it doesn't bother me.

It's just a OME heavy kit, with 33x12's.

I have a cargo area full of parts that I need to make time to install but other than that, motor is all stock

IMG_0319.JPG
The 100 with my son explaining why the mud on the tire is exciting! There were battle scratches that day...

Tray Mountain last month...

Here's my new ride. I'm in Johns Creek. When is the next meetup?

Good question! I'm wondering the same thing. It's not like I have a ton of extra time, but if enough folks could plan something a month or 2 out, I could be there.

Too hot for wheeling right now, we usually take July and August off and pick up around mid September when the weather is nicer. We've been talking about going to Hawks Pride in September so stay tuned.

otherwise, meetings are on the 1st Tuesday of each month aside from when they conflict with holidays, such as yesterday. I suspect we'll end up meeting Tuesday of next week but as of yet undetermined, stay tuned.

That's a nice 40 but without specs it's difficult to assist. Also, you'll need to be specific on your intentions to get the correct answers.

If you're plan is to street drive it only drop the tire size to 33s or 35s and drive the piss out of it. If you intend to wheel it you should come along for a ride or two and assess from there. It's very easy to spend $$ on things you think you need today to only figure out a year from now it was a total waste.

We have a member in Buford that has a 2 bay shop in his back yard where we work on our junk and drink a few sudsy beverages 2 or 3 Saturdays a month, you're welcome to bring it up and show it off if you want.

Last edited:
It's very easy to spend $$ on things you think you need today to only figure out a year from now it was a total waste.

Quoted for truth. I like you. Ha

In my case though, replace "year" with "minutes"

Last edited:
IMG_0306.JPG
I do miss the 40, but it sure is nice having AC on the trail...

Letting a friend buy the 80 that I have been chasing for 2 years at work... Triple locked, two tone, original owner, every receipt since new from Atlanta Toyota. Painful to not buy it but I can only have one toy at a time. The 100 is more than I expected.

On a positive note, I will park next to it every day.

IMG_0458.JPG
Totally get it!

That's a nice 40 but without specs it's difficult to assist. Also, you'll need to be specific on your intentions to get the correct answers.

If you're plan is to street drive it only drop the tire size to 33s or 35s and drive the piss out of it. If you intend to wheel it you should come along for a ride or two and assess from there. It's very easy to spend $$ on things you think you need today to only figure out a year from now it was a total waste.

We have a member in Buford that has a 2 bay shop in his back yard where we work on our junk and drink a few sudsy beverages 2 or 3 Saturdays a month, you're welcome to bring it up and show it off if you want.

Let me know next time y'all are meeting up. I'll definitely donate a six pack for any recommendations on where to start.

I'd like to make it street legal so I need turn signals before I take it anywhere. Do you think I should just stick 33's on the existing rims, or find some narrower rims?

Those look like 15x12's, so I'd highly suggest not stretching 33's on there.

Depending on your suspension setup, you could jump down to some cheapo 15x8 steel wheels to throw 33's on.

Has it been registered and have a tag? Or is it been a recreational vehicle that's been trailered to the mud pits?

Those look like 15x12's, so I'd highly suggest not stretching 33's on there.

Depending on your suspension setup, you could jump down to some cheapo 15x8 steel wheels to throw 33's on.

Has it been registered and have a tag? Or is it been a recreational vehicle that's been trailered to the mud pits?

Yes, registered with a tag.

I'll keep a look out for some used rims.
How much is involved with lowering it? Just springs?

@gte037p given the attached photo and nothing else, I would surmise that that rig has a spring over and is likely also running lift springs. For you to drop it down and sit reasonable on 33's I would start with swapping in some stock height springs. The SOA is going to be 4"+ of lift alone. One you get it there, you will likely need to address the steering linkage to get those angles more in line. Make sure you driveshafts haven't been lengthened and if so those may need shortening. Then new shocks should get you back down.

If the spring under mounts are still on the axle, you could pick up some OME or similar lift springs and just swap them back underneath. Steering and driveline will still need a look to, but that is also an option.

Good luck

@gte037p given the attached photo and nothing else, I would surmise that that rig has a spring over and is likely also running lift springs. For you to drop it down and sit reasonable on 33's I would start with swapping in some stock height springs. The SOA is going to be 4"+ of lift alone. One you get it there, you will likely need to address the steering linkage to get those angles more in line. Make sure you driveshafts haven't been lengthened and if so those may need shortening. Then new shocks should get you back down.

If the spring under mounts are still on the axle, you could pick up some OME or similar lift springs and just swap them back underneath. Steering and driveline will still need a look to, but that is also an option.

Good luck

THIS ^^^^ I was gonna post a smarta$$ comment about 22 inch rims and 33s but I'll be polite, still way too to early to run off the new guy :flipoff2:.

Unfortunately you must pretend we know absolutely nothing about this particular 40 and how it's setup but what Jynx is saying sounds far more complicated than it really is. Assuming it's sprung over then moving back to spring under is pretty straight forward, you just need beer, a couple of wrenches and the proper tutelage.

Oh, and I may very well have a set of 15x8 wheels I'd let go for a very reasonable price.

spring over axle - SOA. It simply means the axle is mounted under the leaf springs as opposed to on top of the leaf springs. Of course, we're all assuming this is a leaf spring FJ-40 but I can't tell from the pic. It's possible this 40 is linked and if so disregard the lat 2 or 3 posts.

Should probably start a new thread here soon just to keep from cluttering up this post-a-pic thread.

Can't tell about the front, but I'm guessing rear is on leafs. Trac bar is visible and I think I see shackles peaking out from behind that bogger. Trac bar is also why my guess is it has had a spring over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom